Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Picking numbers on a budget

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 6 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
NoShame's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
Indiana
United States
Member #104853
January 21, 2011
159 Posts
Posted: February 16, 2011, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

Suppose you had only a limited amount of cash to spend on lottery tickets for one jackpot.  How would you go about picking your numbers?  Would you pick a few quick picks mixed with self picks or would you do all quick picks?  If you do some quick picks would your numbers be slightly different from the QPs themselves or far away from it as possible?  In other words, if you had only five tickets you could buy would you work with one set of numbers and have each ticket be slightly different (change one or two numbers) or would you want your tickets to have completely different numbers from each other?

Would your choices of numbers depend on how much money you have to spend on a lottery ticket?  Please explain.

One strategy I do plan to try next time is buying a small amt of QPs then have self picks that worked around those numbers.  To add a Mega or Power play to each ticket would be a waste IMO.  Is this a good or bad idea?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10345 Posts
    Posted: February 16, 2011, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

Let's see, the odds againt winning PB 5+1 are 1:195,249,054

Odds against 5 + 0 are 1:5,138,133

The Match 5 prize with Power Play option will always be multiplied 5X’s for $1 million cash.

For MM it's

5 + 1  1:175,711,536

5 + 0  1:3,904,701

The Match 5 white balls prize with Megaplier® option will always be multiplied 4X’s for $1 million cash.

Personally I think it's better to put an additional dollar on the Powerplay or the Megaplier than to buy an additional ticket.

Of course it could go either way and anything could happen, but hitting 5 + 0 "barefoot" and winning $200,000 or $250,000 that could have ben $1,000,000 would drive you crazy from that day on.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40335 Posts
      Posted: February 16, 2011, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

I always play 5 dollars for Jackpot drawings and thats it.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
        Member #75358
        June 1, 2009
        5345 Posts
        Posted: February 16, 2011, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

I primarily play the Pick-3, and at this point I'm just trying to recoup my expenditures......Party

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
          Dallas, Texas
          United States
          Member #4549
          May 2, 2004
          1665 Posts
          Posted: February 18, 2011, 2:36 am - IP Logged

Suppose you had only a limited amount of cash to spend on lottery tickets for one jackpot.  How would you go about picking your numbers?  Would you pick a few quick picks mixed with self picks or would you do all quick picks?  If you do some quick picks would your numbers be slightly different from the QPs themselves or far away from it as possible?  In other words, if you had only five tickets you could buy would you work with one set of numbers and have each ticket be slightly different (change one or two numbers) or would you want your tickets to have completely different numbers from each other?

Would your choices of numbers depend on how much money you have to spend on a lottery ticket?  Please explain.

One strategy I do plan to try next time is buying a small amt of QPs then have self picks that worked around those numbers.  To add a Mega or Power play to each ticket would be a waste IMO.  Is this a good or bad idea?

Excellent questions!

First things first. Forget the odds. If you're going to buy a lottery ticket those are the last thing on your mind. Nobody buys a ticket thinking, "I have a 1:195,000,000 shot. If they do, they wouldn't buy the ticket. Or they are crazy like most of us. Not a problem with me, but some people might be sensitive to the issue. 

The good news is everybody has a budget. It may be $2, $20, or $200 but there is a limit for everybody.

The Rule of Thumb for Budgets is NEVER BET MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE.

Losses tend to be avoidable. We either hang on to numbers on a gut feeling when our head says move on, or we spend more in an effort to get back on track. So another good rule is: IF NOTHING LOOKS GOOD, DON'T PLAY. The worst thing you can do is break your bank chasing numbers.

We all experience that feeling when we get a few hits and think, "This is so simple! I'll I play more, I'll win more!" Then the numbers go dry. Or, I think, we focus on certain numbers or convince ourself the system is infallible. Win it; Flush it; Go on. That doesn't mean forget what is happening in the patterns and trends, but don't go in to convince yourself a certain thing will happen. Look at everything without bias everytime. Hard to do.

I mix between quick picks and personal picks. I have seen people who buy their QPs first and build their personal picks around them. You'll get opinions for both sides. I was reading a thread earlier that posed the idea 'if 70% of the QPS are winners and 70% of the QPs are sold in larger cities, is your chances better if you buy your tickets in a larger city?' I don't know the answer.

NEVER let your choice of numbers depend on what you spend. ONLY BUY WHAT YOUR BELIEVE IN. Some people may go in and randomly mark playslips, but it doesn't sound like a promising system. Why not just buy QPs?

There is a certain number of balls drawn for each game. Knowing that, we decide on numbers and the combinations, and how many combinations. Sometimes we panic. We add more numbers and more combinations because WE DON'T HAVE A CLEAR CHOICE OR WE GET THAT GNAWING FEELING,  "What if I am wrong?"

If you find yourself choosing too many numbers to be played in every combination, look into wheeling and use key numbers. 

Final thought: If the odds of 1:195,000,000 scare you, there is approximately 43 quintillion combinations (43,252,003,274,489,856,000) permutations in Rubik's Cube. 

Still people solve it in less than 30 seconds.

Ohio
            United States
            Member #106208
            February 14, 2011
            41 Posts
            Posted: February 18, 2011, 7:37 am - IP Logged

edit.. my budget is 120.00 a month so i occasionally play predictions that look good

ive never been able to solve a rubiks cube in under 5 minutes ..

what i do is get 1 ticket with 2 lines for 10 draws

1 line is a set of numbers based on names using numerology

1 line is a quick pick

i stopped getting quick picks in mass amounts 2 months ago because overall i was throwing money away.right now i have 2 lines classic 2 lines mm 2 lines pb that all play for 10 draws thats 60.00 or 100.00 with multiplier for a month.

out of curiousity what is your budget per week or month

JP Wins 2011: $3.00(1) Ten-OH, $7.00(1) PowerBall, $70.00(1)/$2.00(7) OH Classic;

Scratch Wins 2011: $25.00(1)/$20.00(3) 100K A Year for Life, $5.00(1)/$1.00(8)/$2.00(6)/ENTRY(3) Cash Explosion, $8.00(3)/$2.00(7) Double Doubler; 

"You Can't Win If You Don't Play" ** But don't expect to win just because you play.

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
              Denver, Co
              United States
              Member #103046
              December 29, 2010
              546 Posts
              Posted: February 20, 2011, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

Personally, I would completely avoid q-pix. I like using my own numbers.

If you have your own numbers and want to make the most of your money, go to the wheeling section on Lottery Post. If it's a 6 number game you're playing, for $5 you can wheel 11 numbers with a guaranteed 4 number hit if 6 of your 11 numbers are drawn, like below. That way you always have 11 numbers in the game on a regular basis and eventually some of those are going to hit.

Here's an example of how $5 can be stretched:

Wheel:  Pick 6 Abbreviated 4 if 6 of 11
              Tickets:  5
              Description:  Minimum 4-number match, if 6 numbers drawn fall within your set of 11 numbers.
              Input:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

1. 01-03-04-06-10-11
              2. 01-05-06-07-08-10
              3. 02-03-04-05-09-11
              4. 02-06-07-08-09-10
              5. 03-04-07-08-10-11

Generated by the Lottery Post Pick 6 Abbreviated 4 if 6 of 11

You can play the same way in MM and PB by using the 5 number wheels.

Good luck! 

Lucki723's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg
                Florida
                United States
                Member #62713
                July 6, 2008
                3715 Posts
                Posted: February 21, 2011, 12:02 am - IP Logged

Personally, I would completely avoid q-pix. I like using my own numbers.

If you have your own numbers and want to make the most of your money, go to the wheeling section on Lottery Post. If it's a 6 number game you're playing, for $5 you can wheel 11 numbers with a guaranteed 4 number hit if 6 of your 11 numbers are drawn, like below. That way you always have 11 numbers in the game on a regular basis and eventually some of those are going to hit.

Here's an example of how $5 can be stretched:

Wheel:  Pick 6 Abbreviated 4 if 6 of 11
                Tickets:  5
                Description:  Minimum 4-number match, if 6 numbers drawn fall within your set of 11 numbers.
                Input:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

1. 01-03-04-06-10-11
                2. 01-05-06-07-08-10
                3. 02-03-04-05-09-11
                4. 02-06-07-08-09-10
                5. 03-04-07-08-10-11

Generated by the Lottery Post Pick 6 Abbreviated 4 if 6 of 11

You can play the same way in MM and PB by using the 5 number wheels.

Good luck! 

I Agree!

Keep moving Forward.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3300 Posts
                  Posted: February 21, 2011, 5:07 am - IP Logged

yeah i was going to say what he said. but he said it 1st so ill just agree.

asnd i spend $9.70 a week on various lotto's, and im lucky if i win it back ever 4 weeks. i mean the $10 back every 4 weeks. so $40 down 10 up.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297