Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pick-5, pick-6 games number selection help

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Fortuna.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Fortuna's avatar - Photomanipulation icon.png

United States
Member #27654
December 4, 2005
100 Posts
Posted: February 20, 2011, 8:29 am - IP Logged

I have done some backtesting for pick-5, pick-6 games.

I can reduce the numbers to play to 19-20.

In 135 draws, for pick-5 I get 2 jackpot hit, for pick-6 I get 1 jackpot hit.

How can I reduce further the set of numbers to play, so I do not break the bank?

Thanks,

Fortuna

Luke 6:38 "Give, and it shall be given to you."

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
    Whiskey Island
    United States
    Member #90216
    April 24, 2010
    12742 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2011, 8:48 am - IP Logged

What is your'e state ? To reduce the range of number sets you must use the sum totals.......

United States
      Member #27654
      December 4, 2005
      100 Posts
      Posted: February 20, 2011, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

What is your'e state ? To reduce the range of number sets you must use the sum totals.......

All I can say is that I live in a state with a small pool of numbers.

http://lafortuna.info/calculator/Jackpot.aspx

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
        Whiskey Island
        United States
        Member #90216
        April 24, 2010
        12742 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2011, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

With out knowing the state , I can not give you the sum total range to give you the best coverage. Plus you need to eliminate at sets with 4 odd and 1 even and 4 even and 1 odd sets.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
          Tx
          United States
          Member #4570
          May 4, 2004
          5180 Posts
          Posted: February 20, 2011, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

With out knowing the state , I can not give you the sum total range to give you the best coverage. Plus you need to eliminate at sets with 4 odd and 1 even and 4 even and 1 odd sets.

Fortuna

Probably does not just wants this done for 1 state in particular, so just make an example for anyone of the many possible states so just gets the idea thru.

It is already known by many that the middle sums is where most of the combinations are at, but also because of that, little reducing comes out by not playing lower and higher sums.

Also take into account that it is possible that things (Patterns) that should not often happen, might.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

United States
            Member #27654
            December 4, 2005
            100 Posts
            Posted: February 21, 2011, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

Fortuna

Probably does not just wants this done for 1 state in particular, so just make an example for anyone of the many possible states so just gets the idea thru.

It is already known by many that the middle sums is where most of the combinations are at, but also because of that, little reducing comes out by not playing lower and higher sums.

Also take into account that it is possible that things (Patterns) that should not often happen, might.

Lantern,

you are absolutely right.  I am trying to develop a strategy that applies to pick-5 and pick-6 games. 

Pick-7 is a bonus (I had a request from Sweden to include pick-7 games).

Pick-5 is the easiest to find a matching set.

As you can see from the "Match in set" table, you can frequently match 5 numbers is a set of 19-20.

For clarification, the first row indicates the possible matches: 1 number, 2 numbers, 3, .... up to 7 for a pick-same game.

The second row indicates how many times the computer generated set of numbers contains, for example, 5 of the numbers drawn.

The difficult part is to generate a resonable list of lines to play.

By the way, I have added the sums to the table of numbers.

Any ideas are appreciated,

Fortuna

Tx
              United States
              Member #4570
              May 4, 2004
              5180 Posts
              Posted: February 22, 2011, 12:28 am - IP Logged

Lantern,

you are absolutely right.  I am trying to develop a strategy that applies to pick-5 and pick-6 games. 

Pick-7 is a bonus (I had a request from Sweden to include pick-7 games).

Pick-5 is the easiest to find a matching set.

As you can see from the "Match in set" table, you can frequently match 5 numbers is a set of 19-20.

For clarification, the first row indicates the possible matches: 1 number, 2 numbers, 3, .... up to 7 for a pick-same game.

The second row indicates how many times the computer generated set of numbers contains, for example, 5 of the numbers drawn.

The difficult part is to generate a resonable list of lines to play.

By the way, I have added the sums to the table of numbers.

Any ideas are appreciated,

Fortuna

Well there are ideas, but I have no way of telling how good or bad they might be as I can not code workouts myself, but as you can see in posts such as this:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/214856/1663530

You can try to apply what you know about "Daily" games to jackpot kind of games.

Jackpot kind of games have way too many combinations, no reduction seems to be enough as maybe there might always be too many combinations left.

A "Coder" or programer can try very many things and in this way find what might work best, there might be a legion of possible ideas and many or most can or could be not good or not good enough.

As I can't code, I can't learn much about this kind of games.

Tx
                United States
                Member #4570
                May 4, 2004
                5180 Posts
                Posted: February 22, 2011, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

I have done some backtesting for pick-5, pick-6 games.

I can reduce the numbers to play to 19-20.

In 135 draws, for pick-5 I get 2 jackpot hit, for pick-6 I get 1 jackpot hit.

How can I reduce further the set of numbers to play, so I do not break the bank?

Thanks,

Fortuna

I have been thinking:

First, you are the only one that knows how you get the 19 to 20 numbers.

Then you said that in about 135 draws for the pick 5, 2 jackpot wins might be expected.

Any filters that people might use on the combinations produced by the 19 to 20 numbers would very likely void the 2 possible wins every 135 draws.

As on "First" above you would be the only one that might know which "new" filters might not void the 2 out of 135, if any filters at all won't void it.

This is not a pick 3 game where it is easier to add "extra" filtration that might not "void" the "original" rate of winnings given by the first stage filtration.

Even the use of a "small" filter might mean that instead of getting all 5 pick 5 numbers it might only be from 0 to 4 on those 135 draws.

This is serious stuff.

By the way here on Tx, the pick 5 game pays next to nothing for any of the prizes even for 5 of 5.

The Tx Lotto pick 6 is hardly any better.

Tx2Step, MM and Powerball would be the only games with a little better payout versus the almost no chance of winning on any of them.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                  Dallas, Texas
                  United States
                  Member #4549
                  May 2, 2004
                  1707 Posts
                  Posted: February 22, 2011, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Well there are ideas, but I have no way of telling how good or bad they might be as I can not code workouts myself, but as you can see in posts such as this:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/214856/1663530

You can try to apply what you know about "Daily" games to jackpot kind of games.

Jackpot kind of games have way too many combinations, no reduction seems to be enough as maybe there might always be too many combinations left.

A "Coder" or programer can try very many things and in this way find what might work best, there might be a legion of possible ideas and many or most can or could be not good or not good enough.

As I can't code, I can't learn much about this kind of games.

Thank you for bringing this post back to mind Lantern! I spent the day going over all 46 pages trying to reassemble the ideas laid out. 

RL did an amazing job of designing, and laying out, a very workable system. It's unfortunate that thread ended but reading it again jolted the brain which caused a chain reaction of searching for old files.

Fortuna, to your original question, filtering can be done in many ways. Even/Odd, High/Low, consecutive numbers, sum totals, last digit filters, repeating numbers, width of line, etc.

It's very hard to lay a general foundation of what type filters would fit your system without changing the results. Whether that would be for the better or worse, is left to be seen. 

Good Luck!

United States
                    Member #27654
                    December 4, 2005
                    100 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2011, 4:57 am - IP Logged

Thank you for bringing this post back to mind Lantern! I spent the day going over all 46 pages trying to reassemble the ideas laid out. 

RL did an amazing job of designing, and laying out, a very workable system. It's unfortunate that thread ended but reading it again jolted the brain which caused a chain reaction of searching for old files.

Fortuna, to your original question, filtering can be done in many ways. Even/Odd, High/Low, consecutive numbers, sum totals, last digit filters, repeating numbers, width of line, etc.

It's very hard to lay a general foundation of what type filters would fit your system without changing the results. Whether that would be for the better or worse, is left to be seen. 

Good Luck!

garyo and Lantern,

I had followed with interest RL's posts. That is what prompted the jackpot page. 

The filtering I have included in the progam, even if not complete yet, generates a set of numbers that frequently contains the winning numbers.

Trying to generate a reasonable number of lines and deciding when to play is the hard part.

The back-testing allows me to have realistic expectations.

I will keep adding tools to my arsenal, time permitting.

Fortuna

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                      Dallas, Texas
                      United States
                      Member #4549
                      May 2, 2004
                      1707 Posts
                      Posted: February 24, 2011, 12:52 am - IP Logged

Here's a Texas Cash 5 Excel spreadsheet that might give you some ideas. This is based on the ideas RL was posting in that thread. It is barebones, no annotations. Just pulled out the program and started back on the concept yesterday. I've never played Cash 5, seldom play the Texas Lottery, and was just thinking, I've never even bought a Powerball ticket. Lame, huh? 

http://www.box.net/shared/p3y3xb49vd

Be my guest, download it. Nothing fancy. Normally what I do is take a CVS file like this and build another program to derive the actual totals. There may be a simpler way in Excel, but I'm not too bright.

The headers should be easy enough.

Draw - draw number

Game - Cash5

Month - month of draw 

Date - day of draw

Year - year of draw

N1-N5 - numbers drawn

Sum - total of N1 thru N5 (the numbers in each drawing)

Span - difference between N1 - N5 (some call it the Spread, largest number minus the smallest number)

ID - number of Individual Digits in the draw

DED - number of double even digits (different than Double Digits )

MD - number of Mixed Digits (numbers made up of and even and an odd digit)

DOD - number of Double Odd Digits

DD - number of Double Digits (doble digits are 11, 22, 33, DEDs include 26,28,24, etc.)

PN - number of Prime numbers in the draw

The Even/Odd and High/Low portions are based on each individual digit in the drawing. Even/Odd will total 10 and High/Low will total 10. In this case 0 (zero) is understood as low and even and is the first digit of every single digit. However, 0 (zero) is not used in determining the ID totals.

Feel free to peruse it, use it, color it, or improve it. Clown

Hope this helps.

United States
                        Member #27654
                        December 4, 2005
                        100 Posts
                        Posted: February 24, 2011, 4:15 am - IP Logged

Here's a Texas Cash 5 Excel spreadsheet that might give you some ideas. This is based on the ideas RL was posting in that thread. It is barebones, no annotations. Just pulled out the program and started back on the concept yesterday. I've never played Cash 5, seldom play the Texas Lottery, and was just thinking, I've never even bought a Powerball ticket. Lame, huh? 

http://www.box.net/shared/p3y3xb49vd

Be my guest, download it. Nothing fancy. Normally what I do is take a CVS file like this and build another program to derive the actual totals. There may be a simpler way in Excel, but I'm not too bright.

The headers should be easy enough.

Draw - draw number

Game - Cash5

Month - month of draw 

Date - day of draw

Year - year of draw

N1-N5 - numbers drawn

Sum - total of N1 thru N5 (the numbers in each drawing)

Span - difference between N1 - N5 (some call it the Spread, largest number minus the smallest number)

ID - number of Individual Digits in the draw

DED - number of double even digits (different than Double Digits )

MD - number of Mixed Digits (numbers made up of and even and an odd digit)

DOD - number of Double Odd Digits

DD - number of Double Digits (doble digits are 11, 22, 33, DEDs include 26,28,24, etc.)

PN - number of Prime numbers in the draw

The Even/Odd and High/Low portions are based on each individual digit in the drawing. Even/Odd will total 10 and High/Low will total 10. In this case 0 (zero) is understood as low and even and is the first digit of every single digit. However, 0 (zero) is not used in determining the ID totals.

Feel free to peruse it, use it, color it, or improve it. Clown

Hope this helps.

Garyo,

thanks for sharing the spreadsheet.  I will try to add some of your stats to the web page.

Hopefully we can devise a game plan.

Fortuna