Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

50/50 Theory

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Cupcake10's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
Member #91718
May 23, 2010
690 Posts
Posted: February 27, 2011, 1:28 am - IP Logged

If it's true there is a 50/50 chance, you would think you would win some too, so I don't really believe it works like that.

I know what they say either you win or you lose but what if you never win. I know there are only two outcomes in this 50/50  theory.

There is a 50/50 chance we can will become the president too.

Is it possible that it's a mind game which makes you believe there is a 50% chance out of millions of people that we will win but that's not a true 50/50. 

My theory if you had two tickets and only one person was going to win that is a true 50% chance but I think it's ridiculous out of millions to believe the 50/50 theory.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3300 Posts
    Posted: February 27, 2011, 2:41 am - IP Logged

i think the 50 50 thing is a joke about not understanding odds.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19816 Posts
      Posted: February 27, 2011, 10:25 am - IP Logged

If it's true there is a 50/50 chance, you would think you would win some too, so I don't really believe it works like that.

I know what they say either you win or you lose but what if you never win. I know there are only two outcomes in this 50/50  theory.

Is it possible that it's a mind game which makes you believe there is a 50% chance out of millions of people that we will win but that's not a true 50/50. 

My theory if you had two tickets and only one person was going to win that is a true 50% chance but I think it's ridiculous out of millions to believe the 50/50 theory.

Where did you come up with that theory?  I've never seen it on any official lottery website or play slip, not even on a scratch-off ticket which usually claims the best odds of all,1:4.  You need to get you lottery information from a more reliable source.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
        Dallas, Texas
        United States
        Member #4549
        May 2, 2004
        1663 Posts
        Posted: February 27, 2011, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Where did you come up with that theory?  I've never seen it on any official lottery website or play slip, not even on a scratch-off ticket which usually claims the best odds of all,1:4.  You need to get you lottery information from a more reliable source.

RJOH, what you say is true dealing with the odds of the game.

But it is also true that one either wins or loses. YHou already know when there are only two possible outcomes the chance is 50/50. 

Even with a 1:4 chance, the individual still has a 50/50 chance because he/she will either win or lose. Those are the only possible outcomes, since the lottery doesn't offer ties.

Do those odds change for any one individual because 50 million people hold tickets? Not at all. Since those people also will win or lose they have the same 50/50 chance.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10345 Posts
          Posted: February 27, 2011, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

A 50/50 chance is only valid when there are two and only two possible outcomes (winning or losing are the results of outcomes).

Tossing a coin (no pun intended! - and not a gag coin) can only result in heads or tails.

Even in roulette you can't say beting black or red is a 50/50 chance because they lose to 0 or 00.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ONEDAY's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
            OHIO
            United States
            Member #5328
            June 30, 2004
            1284 Posts
            Posted: February 27, 2011, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

If given a 50/50 chance I lose 99 percent of the time!!What?

have a great winning day!

Cupcake10's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
              Member #91718
              May 23, 2010
              690 Posts
              Posted: February 28, 2011, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

True, true Oneday

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
                light on my feet
                United States
                Member #356
                May 20, 2002
                2744 Posts
                Posted: February 28, 2011, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

because i believe in God and fate,  the 50/50 rule is a perfect application. 

a totally efficient methodology so one doesn't waste time / money.

on scenarios in life i am not sure will happen,  that i think could happen,  all i have to do is throw the bare minimum effort at it to test it,  to see if it will.

thus,  for me,  if i am "meant to"......all i need to do is throw 1QP at it and walk away.

if i am meant to,  i will.  if i am not,  i won't. 

odds have zip to do with altering an outcome of someone who is "meant to"

i absolutely love the 50/50 rule,  and bank every important decision in my life on that methodology.

VISION

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: March 1, 2011, 1:24 am - IP Logged

i think the 50 50 thing is a joke about not understanding odds.

Somebody here has referred to a 50/50 chance in the past. I think it was (and maybe still is) part of their signature. Something along the lines of "there are only two posibilities, so I've got a 50-50 chance".

I think it's much more a commentary about how high the odds are, so you just buy a ticket and hope, than about (mis)understanding the odds.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8360 Posts
                    Posted: March 1, 2011, 2:18 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss is correct when he said a 50/50 chance is a phrase first used when tossing a coin it has nothing to do with the lottery.

When going to get an operation some people might ask the doctor what are my chances and they would reply you have a 50/50 chance of surviving the operation. The reasoning is when they put you under sedation your as close to being dead as you could possibly be and the antithesis controls the out come more or less depending on what type surgery your having. 

And still yet some people say you have a 50/50 chance an the third time is the charm.
                    There just old sayings.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                      sully16's avatar - sharan
                      Ringleader
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #81740
                      October 28, 2009
                      40296 Posts
                      Posted: March 1, 2011, 9:32 am - IP Logged
                      Coin Toss is correct when he said a 50/50 chance is a phrase first used when tossing a coin it has nothing to do with the lottery.

When going to get an operation some people might ask the doctor what are my chances and they would reply you have a 50/50 chance of surviving the operation. The reasoning is when they put you under sedation your as close to being dead as you could possibly be and the antithesis controls the out come more or less depending on what type surgery your having. 

And still yet some people say you have a 50/50 chance an the third time is the charm.
                      There just old sayings.

6 OF 1 Half dozen of another.

The whole nine yards.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: March 12, 2011, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

A friend of mine who liked to gamble used to say: "You can't win em all... but you can lose em all."

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke