Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Playing the Extra Dollar on the Jackpot Games

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 6 years ago by duffy$.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
PA
United States
Member #106932
February 27, 2011
24 Posts
Posted: March 7, 2011, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like a plan to me ... would be a lot easier for sure after a Jackpot win, you have lots of gold in Australia and not having to worry about expenses would make the "hunt" a lot more fun. I've been to the West in the US and the fresh air and mountains a person doesn't forget. I hope you get that hit ... tonight in PA the Cash 5 ($1 game) had one winning ticket ...jackpot was up to $750,000 but with the extra play, they added $61,000 to the total ... $811,000 ... nice win for somebody.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
    Oklahoma
    United States
    Member #82391
    November 12, 2009
    6290 Posts
    Posted: March 8, 2011, 8:31 am - IP Logged

I always go with the power-play/mega-plyer...

PA
      United States
      Member #106932
      February 27, 2011
      24 Posts
      Posted: March 8, 2011, 10:35 am - IP Logged

I like the power play on both games myself ... unless the dollars get a little short and I cut that extra dollar off for a few plays ... still have the games covered though. I try to always have the extra dollar on Power Ball ... for two reasons (in my figuring odds) ... first, when PB changed the game some years back, adding more regular numbers but removing some PB numbers ... I figure the odds are a little better maybe just getting a PB hit with a multiplier to get some money back ... of course that's hoping for a 4 or 5 multiplier and not that lousy "2", that I always seem to get. I personally wish they would get rid of the "2" ball and replace it with more "3" balls. For the longest time I wouldn't play that extra dollar because of those #2 balls and how often they seem to come up. I have never "officially" checked all the numbers ... are there more #2 balls than the others or are they all the same number in the machine ... just one of each or 5 of each? I haven't watched a PB drawing since last year. Of course, odds are odds ... they are great for some people and others, they mean nothing. ... my second line of thought is that with just the regular $1 play on Mega Millions, five numbers will pay $250,000 ... $50,000 better than PB for the same $1.00 ... so I'm more likely to have just a dollar on the MM game ... if the dollars get a little short. If by chance I did get 5 numbers on MM without playing the extra dollar for that drawing, then I'd only be out $750,000 instead of $800,000 (PB) from the million dollar top prize ... It's all just figuring how best to spend your lottery dollars, if you only have so many to work with. ... GLTA

... can I ask you (and others) how many tickets you buy for each drawing? (MM /PB)

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
        Denver, Co
        United States
        Member #103046
        December 29, 2010
        546 Posts
        Posted: March 8, 2011, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

I play the powerplay/megaplier and have been wondering: even with the smaller prizes, am I better off in the long run to spend $10 (for example) to buy 10 lines, or to spend $10 to buy 5 lines with the powerplay?

NEW YORK
          United States
          Member #90535
          April 29, 2010
          11978 Posts
          Posted: March 8, 2011, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

I play the powerplay/megaplier and have been wondering: even with the smaller prizes, am I better off in the long run to spend $10 (for example) to buy 10 lines, or to spend $10 to buy 5 lines with the powerplay?

when it comes to lottery, you will hit the target sooner when you fire more shots at it . It is like using a shotgun VS. an automatic pistol. Read my analysis about it at this thread http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/228417. http://www.packalonji.blogspot.com/

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
            Denver, Co
            United States
            Member #103046
            December 29, 2010
            546 Posts
            Posted: March 8, 2011, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

@ THRIFTY...

Thanks, you just confirmed my decision. I gave some thought to it today and decided I am better off doubling my # of lines.

If I hit something decent I may have some regret not buying the 'plier, but on the other hand I also realize that if I had bought half the tickets with the 'plier, I may not have even hit it in the first place.

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: March 9, 2011, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

If you hit something and the regret not playing the multiplier, think about what would have been different if you had played the multiplier. For starters, you'd only have played half as many lines. Depending on how you pick the lines you play there's about  a 50% chance you'll know that you wouln't have played the winning line. In that case you didn't miss out on the bigger prize, you won a prize you never would have.

Then there's the butterfly effect. If you do something different when you buy the tickets, do you expect everything else that happens after that to happen exactly the same way, or do you think that only the drawing of the numbers will happen exactly the same way? Even if you won with  numbers you play no matter what, maybe you only won because of the exact pattern of things, including what you did while buying your tickets.

PA
                United States
                Member #106932
                February 27, 2011
                24 Posts
                Posted: March 10, 2011, 8:27 am - IP Logged

I thought I'd post a small update dealing with last night's PB drawing. I had 5 tickets with the extra dollar. I was pretty sure I had hit the PB last night after I went online to check the numbers early this morning. You ask (even if you didn't, I'll pretend you did!) ... how could you know you had a hit ... very simple, that lousy "2" multiplier came out again. I checked my first 4 tickets and nothing ... the last ticket had 8 for the PB ... so I got $6 ... I've gone through $70 ... 5 $2 tickets for the last MM / PB drawings and got back $6 ... so I am done experimenting with that idea. ... Oh yes, the last time I hit anything with MM or PB was in Jan ... I was only buying one $2 for each game in Jan ... I hit the MM ... of course the multiplier was "2". Always seem to hit something with that lousy "2" ... so I am rethinking new ideas from what was posted here ... maybe I will just buy 2 $1 tickets for the rest of March on both games. Last year I know I had a few hits but the "2" was always the multiplier, if I remember. In my case, the extra dollar doesn't seem to give me much return ... but of course, all bets are off if I ever did get those 5 numbers. ... that's a big "if".  GLTA

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: March 13, 2011, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

To me, two chances in 195 million isn't a hell of a lot better than one.

You're much more likely to be struck by lightning while spittin tobacco juice in a possum's eye while steppin on a plum than winning the JP with either one or two.

So I'll take the multipliers everytime.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

PA
                    United States
                    Member #106932
                    February 27, 2011
                    24 Posts
                    Posted: March 22, 2011, 9:10 am - IP Logged

To me, two chances in 195 million isn't a hell of a lot better than one.

You're much more likely to be struck by lightning while spittin tobacco juice in a possum's eye while steppin on a plum than winning the JP with either one or two.

So I'll take the multipliers everytime.

Thought I'd fire this topic up again ... yes, I like the "multipliers" also ... but when you go through 4 or 5 months of no hits then I begin to wonder if I would have been better off buying an extra ticket. I have been fine tuning my "lottery strategy" again. I've decided to hold at $100 a month (+ or-) in my lottery spending ... that's $1200 a year plus $40 on two $20 raffle tickets twice a year. However, I have changed my PB and MM playing ... I decided I would drop back from $10 a draw to $5 and now $4 ... so for each draw (18 total for both games) I will buy one ticket with the "extra dollar" and also buy two $1 tickets ... so for $4 a draw I get 3 tickets, with one ticket having the "multiplier". Going to try this for awhile and hope for some return. Still like to cover the Match 6 game in PA although I'm still on the fence with that game ... it's $2 a draw but you do get 3 lines which makes a "play" around $0.67 a line ... but sometimes I think I might be better of putting that $18 / month on the MM or PB. Still fine tuning everything. Like having at least one ticket with the multiplier and one or two extras without ... maybe the "best of both worlds" ... I think of it as my "lottery pool" ... 3 people in for every draw ... me, me and me! Then out of that $100 I have some "extra" dollars for the Cash 5 and Treasure Hunt when the jackpots get big ... $500,000 for the Cash 5 and $80,000 for the Treasure Hunt, this doesn't happen very often ... So I have everything covered (the big jackpots) for the month. ... GLTA