Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Televised results: continue?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Longarm.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Should the lottery commission continue televised results of jackpot games??

No, with the Internet, TV no longer necessary [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Yes, they need to continue or restore TV results [ 12 ]  [60.00%]
Heck yeah, and need to add ALL computer draws too [ 8 ]  [40.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 20 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: March 9, 2011, 11:06 am - IP Logged

Here in CA, they just recently stopped showing live televised results for Mega Millions and Super Lotto Plus in Los Angeles county on KCAL9.

I don't know if a lot of people still feel this is useful. If anything, it is for quick verification and accountability. With so many little off-air TV stations on expanded digital channels to choose from, I'm sure they can find one to host the results.

Sure, they will later post the video to the Mega Millions website, or in the case of Super Lotto Plus, to the Youtube channel. But not the same as live, as there is a long delay in posting videos, and the calottery.com website slows down severely around 8PM, so you sometimes have to wait 10-15 minutes or more to get results.

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    41988 Posts
    Posted: March 9, 2011, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

The amount of money they spend advertising and employee benefits and pensions , they could spend a little more on tv air time, maybe more people would play....gee more profit who would have thought.

HyperBe Happy.

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      51064 Posts
      Posted: March 9, 2011, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Here in CA, they just recently stopped showing live televised results for Mega Millions and Super Lotto Plus in Los Angeles county on KCAL9.

I don't know if a lot of people still feel this is useful. If anything, it is for quick verification and accountability. With so many little off-air TV stations on expanded digital channels to choose from, I'm sure they can find one to host the results.

Sure, they will later post the video to the Mega Millions website, or in the case of Super Lotto Plus, to the Youtube channel. But not the same as live, as there is a long delay in posting videos, and the calottery.com website slows down severely around 8PM, so you sometimes have to wait 10-15 minutes or more to get results.

Their are very few Winners: The entertainment value of being able to view the live drawings may be the only thing that makes it worthwhile to buy a ticket.

No Live Drawing: Don't Buy a Ticket!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
        Denver, Co
        United States
        Member #103046
        December 29, 2010
        546 Posts
        Posted: March 9, 2011, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

I don't watch the drawings nor would I ever, however I think accountability is an important enough reason to continue.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: March 22, 2011, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

Took a while, but I did actually get a response from the CA lotto commission on this issue, here it is if anyone is interested:

After almost 26 years on air, on February 23, 2011, the Lottery stopped broadcasting the winning number drawings for its two Lotto games, MEGA Millions and SuperLOTTO Plus, on television. 

The Lottery stopped broadcasting draws in an effort to reduce operating costs so that it can increase prize payouts to players and contributions to education.

MEGA Millions and SuperLOTTO Plus draws can be seen on the Lottery's public website (www.calottery.com<http://www.calottery.com>). This gives players the convenience of being able to see a drawing at a time they choose.

Some people ask if there have there been any changes in the way draws are conducted. The answer to that question is, no. Draws are conducted in the same manner and with the same equipment as they were before going off air.
            Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23349 Posts
            Posted: March 22, 2011, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

Took a while, but I did actually get a response from the CA lotto commission on this issue, here it is if anyone is interested:

After almost 26 years on air, on February 23, 2011, the Lottery stopped broadcasting the winning number drawings for its two Lotto games, MEGA Millions and SuperLOTTO Plus, on television. 

The Lottery stopped broadcasting draws in an effort to reduce operating costs so that it can increase prize payouts to players and contributions to education.

MEGA Millions and SuperLOTTO Plus draws can be seen on the Lottery's public website (www.calottery.com<http://www.calottery.com>). This gives players the convenience of being able to see a drawing at a time they choose.

Some people ask if there have there been any changes in the way draws are conducted. The answer to that question is, no. Draws are conducted in the same manner and with the same equipment as they were before going off air.

Thanks for posting that info.  Personally I think it's OK to show them on the Internet instead of on TV, but I think they should be available as a live stream AND with the ability to watch them later.  It is not very expensive to do that, so if they raise the cost issue on streaming, it's a bit of a red herring.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

DFW, Texas
              United States
              Member #78628
              August 18, 2009
              134 Posts
              Posted: March 23, 2011, 4:40 am - IP Logged

I like being able to watch the draw on television.  In the 90s the Texas night draw was shown on local stations in this area.  I don't think the lottery ever paid for it, but just made it available.  No local stations show it now, but it can be streamed live on the web site, and recorded draws can be streamed or downloaded.

Mega Millions draws have long been shown on WGN, and now that Illinois plays Powerball, those draws are shown, too.  I think it's not actually live, but about a minute delayed (close enough for me).  If you get that channel, you can still see the Mega Millions draws (and Powerball if you're interested).

The Texas Lottery gives satellite coordinates for people to pick up the transmission directly.  I suspect most people don't have the equipment and knowledge to do that, and I don't know if California offers that, but it's a possibility worth mentioning.