Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mapping Scratch ticket winners

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Jon D.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: March 18, 2011, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

There's probably others who have made similar maps, but I found it quite interesting to see how FEW large Scratch ticket winners there are for stores in my area over a given year.

The link below shows all Scratch ticket winners for 2010 that are $600 or greater in Los Angeles, CA. You can click on the circles in this interactive map and drill down to click on individual stores to see the total amount of winners.

http://www.batchgeo.com/map/086c7badd099a2dcb14ac16e285e252c

This is just for the city of Los Angeles, but since LA has a population larger than many entire states, it could be comparable to the distribution in other locales. Most stores only have a few, maybe 2 or 3 big winners for that year with fewer still having multiple big winners. And there is only a handful, less than 10 that have the largest 6 and 7 figure winners (>$100,000) in LA. They are very hard to find if you just go around clicking on stores. The rest were in other cities across all of California.

Quite eye opening to say the least!

Scratch Map

California
    United States
    Member #106745
    February 23, 2011
    13 Posts
    Posted: March 20, 2011, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

wow neat site Jon! Do they have a site like this for San Francisco bay area?

TRUEBELIEVER's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
      OXFORD NC
      United States
      Member #105036
      January 24, 2011
      40 Posts
      Posted: March 20, 2011, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

i need one for the whole state of north carolina we just started anew scratcher and i got a map and some pins so i can see when they post winner to see where they are i just wanna see where the winners are

Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #103813
        January 5, 2011
        1530 Posts
        Posted: March 21, 2011, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

The CA lottery commission does not publish any complete data on scratch winners, much less any maps. Although they do have an partial old/outdated map of just retailers on zeemaps.

You have to make a public records request to get the raw data on scratch winners, and then map it yourself. That batchgeo site was just one geocoding site that produced good results.

Would be nice if state lotteries published their own maps of retailers and scratch winners, it would be so easy for them to do a weekly update. But they probably think it is not in their best interests to do that, so they don't.

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40420 Posts
          Posted: March 24, 2011, 8:12 am - IP Logged

wow , thats a different approach, Does your system depend on how fast you get your data?

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103813
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: March 24, 2011, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

I don't really have a system related to that map, that was just a one shot deal to see what the prize distribution looked like. Very interesting how evenly and thinly spaced out the prizes are overall.

And I haven't planned on making any more updates, going through the process of requesting the data and then mapping it. It would be so nice if the lottery commission did it themselves and published it on a regular basis. They have the data, they can do it so easily if they wanted to. Or at least just publish the raw data for people to download and munge it however and whenever they like.

soothsayer's avatar - Soothsayer jpg?
              SC
              United States
              Member #56656
              November 28, 2007
              511 Posts
              Posted: March 27, 2011, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

The CA lottery commission does not publish any complete data on scratch winners, much less any maps. Although they do have an partial old/outdated map of just retailers on zeemaps.

You have to make a public records request to get the raw data on scratch winners, and then map it yourself. That batchgeo site was just one geocoding site that produced good results.

Would be nice if state lotteries published their own maps of retailers and scratch winners, it would be so easy for them to do a weekly update. But they probably think it is not in their best interests to do that, so they don't.

The SC Lottery does publish this info on their website, however, it only contains info on tickets redeemed for $500 or more at one of their redemption centers. Since $500 is the max a retailer may payout for a winner, all winners greater than that are posted with the Game, Winning amt., date and location sold.

Let the good times roll...

Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #103813
                January 5, 2011
                1530 Posts
                Posted: March 27, 2011, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

Aha, yes I see that, thanks!

I'm going to send that link to the CA lotto commission and ask why they can't do something similar to SC.