Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 10:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

what happens if...

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Raven62.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
rukiafae's avatar - box
NC
United States
Member #100192
November 7, 2010
125 Posts
Posted: March 21, 2011, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

a friend stopped over this afternoon for coffee, and, as happens often, talk turned to what we would do if we won the next jackpot.

then she asked me a question i had no idea how to answer (how odd seeing as i know everything hehehe)

i dont know what made her think of it ( i didnt ask) but she wondered what would happen if a person were to win the lottery, but they had such bad credit (NSF, overdrawn accounts, etc etc) that they couldnt even (under normal circumstances) open a checking account.

i told her that (i wasnt sure) but that i imagine, that much money would mitigate any former bank account issues they had had, and that (again, i imagine) every bank in town would would be bending over backwards to get their business- regardless of any past (or even current) issues.

so where else do i turn but to my trusty ol LP group to see if anyone (maybe who works in banking??) knows for certain...???...???

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    42062 Posts
    Posted: March 21, 2011, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

A good financial advisor or even her bank , would help her get her credit on the right track.

HyperBe Happy.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: March 21, 2011, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

That person could probably body surf on the bankers willing to overlook her past for a big old deposit.

Bad credit? What bad credit?

"We've always had a deep respect."

"And we mean that most sincere."

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
        Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: March 21, 2011, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

those people who normally wouldn't give credit to her would now be bending over backward to do anything they could to earn her business.money talks.no it sings.Smile

larry3100's avatar - larry icon2.jpg
          Redwood City,California
          United States
          Member #70503
          February 3, 2009
          200 Posts
          Posted: March 21, 2011, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

I have no credit cards.Everything I buy,I pay with cash.Like the Bible says "Owe no man anything,but love one another". Amen.

United States
            Member #75358
            June 1, 2009
            5345 Posts
            Posted: March 22, 2011, 12:13 am - IP Logged

i told her that (i wasnt sure) but that i imagine, that much money would mitigate any former bank account issues they had had, and that (again, i imagine) every bank in town would would be bending over backwards to get their business- regardless of any past (or even current) issues.

I believe you answered your own question....lol

No one I know ever said "NO" to money.

The questions you pose are reasonable, but you have to understand that those bank account issues most likely occured because the person (like most of us), work for a living and can run into problems when the income is just paying the bills with some extra pocket money left over. I never had any problems but I can imagine folks doing things out of desperation.

But when a lot of money comes into the picture, banks quickly forget the past problems. 

?

rukiafae's avatar - box
              NC
              United States
              Member #100192
              November 7, 2010
              125 Posts
              Posted: March 22, 2011, 7:25 am - IP Logged

I believe you answered your own question....lol

No one I know ever said "NO" to money.

The questions you pose are reasonable, but you have to understand that those bank account issues most likely occured because the person (like most of us), work for a living and can run into problems when the income is just paying the bills with some extra pocket money left over. I never had any problems but I can imagine folks doing things out of desperation.

But when a lot of money comes into the picture, banks quickly forget the past problems. 

?

Yeah, i think i did too. ive had the same bank account since i was 16 LOL, so i have no clue.

and the 'credit' i was talking about wasnt real credit (as in credit cards) but the chex systems and other delinquent bank account reporting agencies that banks run you through when you go to open a checking account.

i just cant see a bank sying 'no, we dont want to open a checking account for you' when you have millions upon millions of dollars LOL

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                51110 Posts
                Posted: March 22, 2011, 11:07 am - IP Logged

a friend stopped over this afternoon for coffee, and, as happens often, talk turned to what we would do if we won the next jackpot.

then she asked me a question i had no idea how to answer (how odd seeing as i know everything hehehe)

i dont know what made her think of it ( i didnt ask) but she wondered what would happen if a person were to win the lottery, but they had such bad credit (NSF, overdrawn accounts, etc etc) that they couldnt even (under normal circumstances) open a checking account.

so where else do i turn but to my trusty ol LP group to see if anyone (maybe who works in banking??) knows for certain...???...???

Sounds like Winning a Jackpot would fix their Financial Problems, but Not Without Learning How to Manage their New Found Wealth. (If Money can Fix It: It's Not a Problem!)

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!