Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Excel Help Please... :)

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 6 years ago by FrankieH.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
FrankieH's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
Member #21258
September 5, 2005
267 Posts
Posted: March 22, 2011, 2:58 am - IP Logged

Hi Guys/Gals,

I really need some Excel help. Can someone help me?

I'm not a "formula" person and after going online to teach myself, i haven't been able to find the right formula for the job i need done. I'm working on a system for pick 4.

This is what i have so far:

1 13

When i fill in the top cell, i have it designed that 3 of the bottom cells fill to match 3 of the top cells automatically. After this, i have difficulty.

I'd like to make a formula that will produce (in this case) the sister number (the vtrac) of "6", which is "1" , in the empty cell beneath "6" when the top cell fills with a number . I've tried "IF" and "Lookup" and still i get errors. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks all!!

Frankie

P.S.-I hope i explained it well enough. I'm not too familiar with programming jargon. Thanks again!!!!!Smile

It's better to ask for permission than to beg for forgiveness.

kjs703's avatar - batman08
    Alexandria,VA
    United States
    Member #51062
    March 26, 2007
    367 Posts
    Posted: March 22, 2011, 8:35 am - IP Logged

What version of Excel are you using?

It sounds like you need to create a Macro or VBA script to do your checking and filling.

Do not let the thought of creating a Macro or VBA script scare you ... simply turn on your Macro/VBA creator to "record" your actions.

Change your worksheet manually with items you want to do (suggestion do only one or two things while your record)

Review the script that the recorder created for you.

Search with the Google or Yahoo search engines -- looking for Excel Macros or VBA script -- to learn the basics.

Good Luck

------ Here are a few steps to get you started -------------------

To record a macro:

• Go to "Tools" -> "Macro" -> "Record new macro".
    • Manually do the things that you want your program to do.
    • Press the "stop recording" button (a blue square).
    • Go to "Tools" -> "Macro" -> "Macros...", which will show a list of macros.
    • Select the macro you recorded, and click on "Edit" to see the code.

There are 4 steps you should perform when taking code from a macro to use in your program, they are:

1. Remove un-needed code (as Excel often does extra things, such as writing all values from an options screen).
    2. ChangeActiveDocument,Applicationetc to suit the variables in your code.
    3. ChangeSelectiontooXLApp.Selection.
    4. Prefix all instances of Range/Cells/Rows/Columns/etc with your sheet object.

United States
      Member #21258
      September 5, 2005
      267 Posts
      Posted: March 22, 2011, 9:06 am - IP Logged

What version of Excel are you using?

It sounds like you need to create a Macro or VBA script to do your checking and filling.

Do not let the thought of creating a Macro or VBA script scare you ... simply turn on your Macro/VBA creator to "record" your actions.

Change your worksheet manually with items you want to do (suggestion do only one or two things while your record)

Review the script that the recorder created for you.

Search with the Google or Yahoo search engines -- looking for Excel Macros or VBA script -- to learn the basics.

Good Luck

------ Here are a few steps to get you started -------------------

To record a macro:

• Go to "Tools" -> "Macro" -> "Record new macro".
      • Manually do the things that you want your program to do.
      • Press the "stop recording" button (a blue square).
      • Go to "Tools" -> "Macro" -> "Macros...", which will show a list of macros.
      • Select the macro you recorded, and click on "Edit" to see the code.

There are 4 steps you should perform when taking code from a macro to use in your program, they are:

1. Remove un-needed code (as Excel often does extra things, such as writing all values from an options screen).
      2. ChangeActiveDocument,Applicationetc to suit the variables in your code.
      3. ChangeSelectiontooXLApp.Selection.
      4. Prefix all instances of Range/Cells/Rows/Columns/etc with your sheet object.

Thank you Kjs!!

I'm using Excel 10. I'll check it out. I didn't think of Macros (i don't know what macros are) but i'm eager to learn and i appreciate you teaching me how to fish!!

Good fortune to you!!!

Mrs. Frankie :)

P.S.-I'll keep you posted with my progress!!! Big Smile

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49699 Posts
        Posted: March 22, 2011, 10:30 am - IP Logged

Hi Guys/Gals,

I really need some Excel help. Can someone help me?

I'm not a "formula" person and after going online to teach myself, i haven't been able to find the right formula for the job i need done. I'm working on a system for pick 4.

This is what i have so far:

1 13

When i fill in the top cell, i have it designed that 3 of the bottom cells fill to match 3 of the top cells automatically. After this, i have difficulty.

I'd like to make a formula that will produce (in this case) the sister number (the vtrac) of "6", which is "1" , in the empty cell beneath "6" when the top cell fills with a number . I've tried "IF" and "Lookup" and still i get errors. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks all!!

Frankie

P.S.-I hope i explained it well enough. I'm not too familiar with programming jargon. Thanks again!!!!!Smile

If the 6 is in Cell C2: Put in the Open Cell: =MOD(C2+5,10)

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
          Member #21258
          September 5, 2005
          267 Posts
          Posted: March 22, 2011, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

If the 6 is in Cell C2: Put in the Open Cell: =MOD(C2+5,10)

Hi Raven!!

Thank you so much for the formula!!! You rock!!!!!

Hugs!!!

Frankie :)

Smile