Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 5:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Claiming Mega Millions in California

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Emerson75.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
California
United States
Member #108414
March 25, 2011
5 Posts
Posted: March 25, 2011, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

Hello Everyone!  I found this forum because I was searching anonymous claims in California, which it looks like I'd have to see an attorney about if we should ever be so lucky as to win. I was curious if anyone had any legal insights as to the alternatives...

If we ever won, and an anonymous claim was not an option, we would want our ticket claimed under just my husbands name. Reason being: He has a generic name like Jim Smith, so the odds of him being tracked down are much more slim than if we made both our names public. I kept my maiden name so "Jim Smith and Amanda Leonard" would raise many more eyebrows. We can shut off our phone but I don't want our friends and family to be harassed either. I have no qualms about having just my husband claim the ticket, he's not a <snip> and even if he was I could sue because we're married. But would the lottery commision allow this or would they make us both sign the ticket?

Also, I hear you have to report where you live. If we moved to Arizona just before claiming the ticket will they say we live in Arizona, or report our residence in California?

I apologize if this question has been asked before. Any insights would be much appreciated. So glad this forum exists!

Thanks!

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    2678 Posts
    Posted: March 25, 2011, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

welcome to the asylum for starters & thats what we're here for to answer seemingly silly questions ....

good luck

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23345 Posts
      Posted: March 25, 2011, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

Either of you can redeem the ticket, or both of you.  It's your choice.  Just don't sign the back of the ticket yourself if your husband is going to claim the prize.  If you sign it, it's your prize, and only you can claim it.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

California
        United States
        Member #108414
        March 25, 2011
        5 Posts
        Posted: March 25, 2011, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

Good deal, thanks :  )   We'd feel a lot safer that way. It just occured to me it's probably not the best idea to move out of state, in case AZ would try to nab us for taxes, though I'm not sure if that would apply.  Maybe move to Kern county and get a CCW for protection : X

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
          Magnolia, Delaware
          United States
          Member #18795
          July 20, 2005
          789 Posts
          Posted: March 25, 2011, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

There is one more way to use a trust to claim the win anonymously in Calif. even if you are a resident of that state. Any trust that is out of state can go and claim the jackpot (no state can say it has to be a trust within that state to claim said jackpot) and you have to love this part especially, Calif. doesn't have any access to any information whatsoever because the trust is in another state! And another benefit to having an out of state trust while a Calif. resident, that trust isn't subject to Calif. state income tax either! (Nevada has no state income tax and it's close by hint, hint). But you'd be better off moving to Nevada and becoming a resident of that state and using the trust and a lawyer to claim the jackpot for you to remain anonymous!

No trust has to be a blind or a double blind trust either in-order to do this!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

California
            United States
            Member #108414
            March 25, 2011
            5 Posts
            Posted: March 25, 2011, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

Awesome, thank you!   What kind of attorney do you seek to get a trust, a tax attorney?

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
              Magnolia, Delaware
              United States
              Member #18795
              July 20, 2005
              789 Posts
              Posted: March 25, 2011, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

Awesome, thank you!   What kind of attorney do you seek to get a trust, a tax attorney?

All I can say is your best bet is to use the State Bar Association of the state you wish to have your trust drawn up in. The State Bar Association isn't bias one-way or another towards any lawyer and they will also give you the skinny on said lawyer as to their good or bad standings in the community in which they work.

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

California
                United States
                Member #108414
                March 25, 2011
                5 Posts
                Posted: March 25, 2011, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

Thanks again, you guys know a lot :  )