Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you enjoy scratch offs as a form of entertainment?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Jon D.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
new york
United States
Member #63828
August 9, 2008
175 Posts
Posted: March 29, 2011, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

I do. Think about it. Yes, it's great to win, but to me, buying a scratch off ticket has always been a form of entertainment. The anticipation - waiting to get home to see if you're the big winner. Even if you can't wait to get home and scratch the ticket at the store. Pulse rises. Then - more often than not, it's a loser, and life goes on..

I know that there are people who buy scratch offs and then scratch off only the symbol to see how much they've won - but isn't half the fun in the anticipation?

ONEDAY's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
    OHIO
    United States
    Member #5328
    June 30, 2004
    1284 Posts
    Posted: March 29, 2011, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you..the not knowing if youre a winner or loser! i buy alot of $3 tickets..which are either bingo or word puzzle games...they take longer to play and I enjoy doing them...
    If I just want to win (often lose) I buy a $10 ticket, and scratch it off fast.

have a great winning day!

New York
      United States
      Member #105282
      January 28, 2011
      66 Posts
      Posted: March 29, 2011, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

I agree completely,

I usually buy a bunch of different scratch-offs from a couple of stores and bring them home. It's very exciting and for some reason I always feel like I snagged a big winner--never happens though lol

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #103813
        January 5, 2011
        1530 Posts
        Posted: March 30, 2011, 11:26 am - IP Logged

Put me in the minority of the "Bah Humbug!" category.

I have no more emotion invested in a scratch ticket than I do a regular draw/lottery ticket. In fact, I wish they were more instant than they are now. Just put one spot to scratch, or better yet, have some machine at the counter be able to quickly suck off the messy coating and read the barcode automatically.

Chance of winning big is the entertainment, not the teasing psychological games they build into the scratch cards, thank you.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #99032
          October 18, 2010
          1439 Posts
          Posted: March 30, 2011, 11:46 am - IP Logged

I have no more emotion invested in a scratch ticket than I do a regular draw/lottery ticket. In fact, I wish they were more instant than they are now. Just put one spot to scratch, or better yet, have some machine at the counter be able to quickly suck off the messy coating and read the barcode automatically.

Chance of winning big is the entertainment, not the teasing psychological games they build into the scratch cards, thank you.

Agreed, although I do buy the 2 dollar bingo ones to do at home.

SE PA
            United States
            Member #93582
            July 3, 2010
            1866 Posts
            Posted: March 30, 2011, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Yes, I love the thrill of the scratch-off. But, I personally have to be careful because I get upset when I lose after a sizable investment. Maybe mostly small days are the way to go for me.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
              Florida
              United States
              Member #104435
              January 14, 2011
              2244 Posts
              Posted: March 30, 2011, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

You can just scratch the code and hand it in to the cashier for confirmation if you are inclined to see immediate results. 

Or if you state has Lucky Lines just play that. I typically consider these as games of choice for the most dellusional, hard core addicts.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #99032
                October 18, 2010
                1439 Posts
                Posted: March 31, 2011, 12:28 am - IP Logged

You can just scratch the code and hand it in to the cashier for confirmation if you are inclined to see immediate results. 

Or if you state has Lucky Lines just play that. I typically consider these as games of choice for the most dellusional, hard core addicts.

I'd love if NJ got Lucky Lines pretty much exactly how FLorida does it.... seems alright.  Just 1 $5 one a day or something, you'll have a higher expected rate of return than even 20 dollar scratch offs, or at least I'd assume.  Here in NJ almost all scratch offs return 65% of the funds, (just a couple, a $2 and $5 one return 70% and one 10 dollar one returns 75%)

I'd assume it's about the same in other states, but I've never bothered to the math (NJ always lists the percentage returned, so I don't have to do the math, I'll just assume they aren't lying lol)

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                  Los Angeles, California
                  United States
                  Member #103813
                  January 5, 2011
                  1530 Posts
                  Posted: March 31, 2011, 1:09 am - IP Logged

I know it's a small risk but it has been reported to have happened before:

If you just give the card blindly to the clerk without knowing the winning value, there is potential for fraud. You could have a $1000 winner but if you don't play through the card and just hand it to the clerk with only barcode scratched, he could say, "oh you just won $5 bucks..."