Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why Did The Winners Of March 25, 2011 MEGA MILLIONS Have A $7 Dollar Ticket With 7 Lines?

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 6 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
11978 Posts
Posted: April 1, 2011, 9:53 am - IP Logged

I thought that the lottery machines print out the tickets based on the following amounts $1, $2, $3, $4, $5 and $10 not $7.If they spent $7 extra on megaplier shouldn't the ticket be a $14 ticket with 7 lines on it, not a $7 dollars ticket with 7 lines on it (7*2=14). The same when you add megaplier to a $5 ticket, they give you a $10 ticket with 5 lines on it (5*2=10). CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1953 Posts
    Posted: April 1, 2011, 9:58 am - IP Logged

In Indiana we can buy a ticket that has up to 10 lines on it.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49674 Posts
      Posted: April 1, 2011, 10:40 am - IP Logged

I thought that the lottery machines print out the tickets based on the following amounts $1, $2, $3, $4, $5 and $10 not $7.If they spent $7 extra on megaplier shouldn't the ticket be a $14 ticket with 7 lines on it, not a $7 dollars ticket with 7 lines on it (7*2=14). The same when you add megaplier to a $5 ticket, they give you a $10 ticket with 5 lines on it (5*2=10). CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS?

What?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

NEW YORK
        United States
        Member #90535
        April 29, 2010
        11978 Posts
        Posted: April 1, 2011, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

In Indiana we can buy a ticket that has up to 10 lines on it.

You are right about that.I  found out that we can do the same thing in new york.They bought a regular ticket with up to 7 lines on it for $7 dollars.I bought one today to find out, i asked the clerk for $7 mega millions and he was going to give me a $5 quick pick and a $2 quick pick. I asked him if he could print it out together in one ticket and he did.So i have a $7 mega millions ticket for tonight. I usually don't spend more than $1 for such a low jackpot but i needed to know.I WAS INFORMED BY THE CLERK THAT WE CAN BUY A REGULAR TICKET WITH UP TO 10 LINES ON IT.

NEW YORK
          United States
          Member #90535
          April 29, 2010
          11978 Posts
          Posted: April 1, 2011, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

The winning ticket was a regular $7 ticket not a megaplier.I found out today, that we can buy a regular mega millions, powerball, lotto with up to 10 lines on it.I asked the store clerk for $7 mega millions and he was going to give me a $5 quick pick and a $2 quick pick.I asked him if he could print it out in one ticket and he did.So i have a $7 quick pick regular mega millions ticket for tonight drawing.Athough i usually spend $1 quick pick for such a low jackpot amount.I just needed to know about the $7 ticket thing.

BY THE WAY WHEN YOU ARE MEANT TO WIN, YOU WILL WIN WHETHER YOU PLAY 1 LINE OR 100 LINES.So it does not matter how you buy your tickets.As you can see in the photos and videos, the winning combination was on the second line of the ticket not the 7 line.$2 quick pick would have done it.THEY PLAYED AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME.

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7298 Posts
            Posted: April 3, 2011, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

The winning ticket was a regular $7 ticket not a megaplier.I found out today, that we can buy a regular mega millions, powerball, lotto with up to 10 lines on it.I asked the store clerk for $7 mega millions and he was going to give me a $5 quick pick and a $2 quick pick.I asked him if he could print it out in one ticket and he did.So i have a $7 quick pick regular mega millions ticket for tonight drawing.Athough i usually spend $1 quick pick for such a low jackpot amount.I just needed to know about the $7 ticket thing.

BY THE WAY WHEN YOU ARE MEANT TO WIN, YOU WILL WIN WHETHER YOU PLAY 1 LINE OR 100 LINES.So it does not matter how you buy your tickets.As you can see in the photos and videos, the winning combination was on the second line of the ticket not the 7 line.$2 quick pick would have done it.THEY PLAYED AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME.

The story said El Cheepo didn't want to add his 2 bucks into the pot so I'll take a wild guess; they had $14 to spend and bought 7 QPs on two different tickets. Can't guess on which of the two tickets the 2nd line hit.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
              NY State
              United States
              Member #92609
              June 10, 2010
              3693 Posts
              Posted: April 4, 2011, 5:43 am - IP Logged

It isnt one "El Cheepo".  I've read here on LP that it's FIVE!!!

I read that The "Albany Seven" are really The Albany Twelve!!  The 7 winners have some thinkin to do!

It could be that the one guy who refused to play simply did not have the two bucks to play when money was collected.  That happened to me when I was in an office pool.  The guy who ran the pool showed up at my office looking for my money but I was flat broke until payday. So I took  a pass on playing.

I wonder what's going to happen. Maybe some of the other 4 players were out sick that day and couldnt play. What if they always had the money and never missed putting their two dollars in the pot for every drawing?  What will the winners do about that????

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7298 Posts
                Posted: April 4, 2011, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

It isnt one "El Cheepo".  I've read here on LP that it's FIVE!!!

I read that The "Albany Seven" are really The Albany Twelve!!  The 7 winners have some thinkin to do!

It could be that the one guy who refused to play simply did not have the two bucks to play when money was collected.  That happened to me when I was in an office pool.  The guy who ran the pool showed up at my office looking for my money but I was flat broke until payday. So I took  a pass on playing.

I wonder what's going to happen. Maybe some of the other 4 players were out sick that day and couldnt play. What if they always had the money and never missed putting their two dollars in the pot for every drawing?  What will the winners do about that????

"Maybe some of the other 4 players were out sick that day and couldnt play. What if they always had the money and never missed putting their two dollars in the pot for every drawing?"

What about the guy that played the same set of numbers for years but one day was sick or didn't have any money to play and on that night his numbers were drawn? Should the lottery give him a share of the winning even though he didn't buy a ticket and/or could he sue the clerk for not giving him free tickets?

What if all the players bought 2 tickets and pooled the tickets; would the people that didn't buy tickets be eligible to cash?

What if none of them were at work and some bought their own tickets, should they share their winning with the rest?

I'm sure each of the "Seven" have other friends and family members who they may have pooled money or tickets with in the past. The Albany Seven could become the Albany 5000.

I could go on and on, but it comes down to the fact 7 people contributed $2 each, bought 14 tickets, and won the jackpot. How they spend their winnings is none of our business.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: April 9, 2011, 2:13 am - IP Logged

It's easy, a court of law will verify it: You put in your money, you get a share back, you don't put in your money, you are SOL.

That's the ONLY way to do it, or else you will get a bunch of deadbeat 'players' that only chip in when they feel like it.

If I go to the store, I cannot buy anything unless I have money, playing the lottery in a pool is the SAME thing.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19823 Posts
                    Posted: April 9, 2011, 2:40 am - IP Logged

It's easy, a court of law will verify it: You put in your money, you get a share back, you don't put in your money, you are SOL.

I think people take their cases to court hoping a jury will have similar feelings to those expressed by many here that the winners won so much so where is the harm in them having to share their winnings with co-workers even if they didn't contribute to the cost of tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking