Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The person who missed out on being part of the Albany 7 should not feel bad

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Delta Draw.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: April 2, 2011, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

Would ya be meanin he'd be looking like this coming from tucky?

walking.

Well, I don't want to single tiggs out from the whole state but yeah, only goofier.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
    Beautiful Florida
    United States
    Member #5709
    July 18, 2004
    20249 Posts
    Posted: April 2, 2011, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

Well, I don't want to single tiggs out from the whole state but yeah, only goofier.

Oh, I see's what yah mean.  Like this;

grimace

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: April 2, 2011, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

Oh, I see's what yah mean.  Like this;

grimace

Yeah, that guy's definitely from old kintuck.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3502 Posts
        Posted: April 3, 2011, 3:05 am - IP Logged

Is "a chance of 8 in 175.7 million" really the same as "1 in 22 million" as stated above? Or just still 8 in 175.7 million?

Is 32 ounces really a quart, or is it just 32 ounces?

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
          Texas
          United States
          Member #92330
          June 5, 2010
          887 Posts
          Posted: April 3, 2011, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Don't forget to factor in the customer that cut in frot of the person that was purchasing the tickets.

Not to mention if the guy had said something about being cut in front of.

If the person that purchased the tickets had decided to purchase the tickets at another store or a day early or ........

So many if's.

My question is "Why did they feel it was necessary to mention the co-worker that decided not to participate in the drawing?"

What rdg said, plus it's a good type of story to get readers.

United States
            Member #108380
            March 25, 2011
            505 Posts
            Posted: April 4, 2011, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

this should come as a wake up call to all lottery players... do not buy quick pics as the timing of the clerks finger will determine your numbers.... make everyone if you are foolish enough to be in a pool ( too many problems arise from this form of trying to hit jackpot) yes, i know no one cares as long as they hit it but at least make everyone fill out a card with non-rhythmatic numbers (no 1-6 or 5 10 15 20 25 type pics) to take the when you buy it where you buy it how many players are in it factor out of it....

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
              Magnolia, Delaware
              United States
              Member #18795
              July 20, 2005
              789 Posts
              Posted: April 4, 2011, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

I know this is a far out thought, but it could be true.

If the eighth person actually did decide to be part of the group, when the ticket buyer went to the counter to buy tickets, the time difference it would take to clerk to select 8 tickets instead of 7 could have meant the difference between the winning numbers being selected by the machine.

What if the money was collected right before they went out to buy tickets?  The time it would take to remove the money from his wallet could have made a difference.

When Mike Barth reached for a Snickers bar as he stood at the counter to buy a Mega Millions lottery ticket, someone reached over his shoulder and bought the next ticket.

"I thought about saying something but decided to just let it slide," Barth said about the Quick Pick ticket sold right before the one he purchased at 2:40 p.m. last Friday.

"I bought the next ticket — the winning ticket!"  

Here is a link http://www.lotterypost.com/news/229674 for you to go check it out so all of the what if's can be put to rest! Above is what the purchaser said about going to the counter to make the purchase! But I'd go reread the article so there is no misunderstanding about what could of or would of happen in any event in purchasing the winning QP ticket that they purchased!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                Northern Virginia
                United States
                Member #83350
                December 5, 2009
                1322 Posts
                Posted: April 16, 2011, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

When Mike Barth reached for a Snickers bar as he stood at the counter to buy a Mega Millions lottery ticket, someone reached over his shoulder and bought the next ticket.

"I thought about saying something but decided to just let it slide," Barth said about the Quick Pick ticket sold right before the one he purchased at 2:40 p.m. last Friday.

"I bought the next ticket — the winning ticket!"  

Here is a link http://www.lotterypost.com/news/229674 for you to go check it out so all of the what if's can be put to rest! Above is what the purchaser said about going to the counter to make the purchase! But I'd go reread the article so there is no misunderstanding about what could of or would of happen in any event in purchasing the winning QP ticket that they purchased!

It sounds like the Albany 7 would have won regardless of whether he decided to talk to the person cutting in line. Here is the picture that I am getting from this article.

Ticket 1 - bought by cutter

Ticket 2 - next ticket - WINNER!

Ticket 3

Ticket 4

Ticket 5

Ticket 6

Ticket 7 - would have been last ticket purchased by Albany 7 if the person had not cut. 

Ticket 8 - last ticket purchased by Albany 7.

In this diagram, Albany 7 would have gotten the winner - Ticket #2 - regardless of whether the person cut in line. Of course, I do not know which ticket the winner was - it could have been number 5, number 3, or number 8 (in which case fate would have played a hand in it). But chances are 6 out of 7 that the Albany 7 would have had the winner anyway if the person hadn't cut.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #48725
                  January 7, 2007
                  1958 Posts
                  Posted: April 16, 2011, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

It sounds like the Albany 7 would have won regardless of whether he decided to talk to the person cutting in line. Here is the picture that I am getting from this article.

Ticket 1 - bought by cutter

Ticket 2 - next ticket - WINNER!

Ticket 3

Ticket 4

Ticket 5

Ticket 6

Ticket 7 - would have been last ticket purchased by Albany 7 if the person had not cut. 

Ticket 8 - last ticket purchased by Albany 7.

In this diagram, Albany 7 would have gotten the winner - Ticket #2 - regardless of whether the person cut in line. Of course, I do not know which ticket the winner was - it could have been number 5, number 3, or number 8 (in which case fate would have played a hand in it). But chances are 6 out of 7 that the Albany 7 would have had the winner anyway if the person hadn't cut.

The butterfly effect goes a lot deeper than simply someone cutting in line and how many lines the person bought. The winning ticket wasn't the winning ticket at the time it was printed. It was the winning ticket after the drawing. The butterfly effect is so deep, that had the person not cut in line, it's possible neither one of those tickets nor anybody else's ticket would have won and the jackpot would have rolled. The most miniscule fluctuations can have a huge impact on what's to come. Something catching your attention, how long you put your attention on something(such as looking at a sign as you drive past it), and doing something one time instead of another are just a few of the infinite number of things that lead up to future events. The results of this drawing could have changed over the smallest thing. Something as small as the purchaser using a different hand to pull the money out of his wallet. It could have been anything.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                    Member #81843
                    October 31, 2009
                    856 Posts
                    Posted: April 17, 2011, 1:20 am - IP Logged

The QP’s are loaded in a buffer in the machine from a network connection. Whoever gets the
                    window of opportunity gets the ticket. It would be a security issue for the
                    machine to generate the QP’s from its own RNG for several reasons. The only added RNG may be local
                    to the machine to insure the QP’s printed from the buffer are not printed serial in and serial out
                    order. A winning combination could be sitting in a buffer somewhere and never
                    accessed.

Are the buffers scrubbed and reloaded for the next draw or are they still loaded with
                    the last pool of combinations? Is there any proof the permutations are not sold
                    too? Look at your tickets and figure it out for yourself. What would allow multiple QP winners if the combination  pool was never sold out at the tills? QP’s are a rip-off. for all but a very few.

DD