Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lurkers in stores

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 6 years ago by TheOtherOne.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
new york
United States
Member #63828
August 9, 2008
179 Posts
Posted: April 8, 2011, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

Lately, I've noticed (I live in NYC) that every store I go to (living in NYC - there are quite a few!) has at least one 'lurker' in the background who is paying close attention to what tickets customers are buying.

I used to be able to buy a few tickets at a time, go home and scratch them off, and if I had all losers, go back to the store and buy a few more consecutive tickets (and win) but that hasn't been the case in a while! Every store I go to, there is at least one customer who is not scratching, but just loitering around, watching who is buying.

Happened again tonight. I don't buy tickets every day, only on the weekends, and even then not so many, and tonight I bought five $10.00 tickets at a store where even a few weeks ago, I'd be able to go back and buy more of the same consecutively. I lost on all five tickets - went back 15 minutes later, and someone bought the next three tickets. I noticed the guy who was loitering was the same guy who was there when I purchased the first five tickets. I didn't even bother to buy more tickets.

Is this a trend? Should I just scratch at the store and not wait until I get home? Either the person who is loitering is buying the next few tickets, or the store owner is. Someone is definitely watching (unless it's my own paranoia, lol).

??

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
    The Ville, FL
    United States
    Member #95879
    August 19, 2010
    1708 Posts
    Posted: April 10, 2011, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

Lately, I've noticed (I live in NYC) that every store I go to (living in NYC - there are quite a few!) has at least one 'lurker' in the background who is paying close attention to what tickets customers are buying.

I used to be able to buy a few tickets at a time, go home and scratch them off, and if I had all losers, go back to the store and buy a few more consecutive tickets (and win) but that hasn't been the case in a while! Every store I go to, there is at least one customer who is not scratching, but just loitering around, watching who is buying.

Happened again tonight. I don't buy tickets every day, only on the weekends, and even then not so many, and tonight I bought five $10.00 tickets at a store where even a few weeks ago, I'd be able to go back and buy more of the same consecutively. I lost on all five tickets - went back 15 minutes later, and someone bought the next three tickets. I noticed the guy who was loitering was the same guy who was there when I purchased the first five tickets. I didn't even bother to buy more tickets.

Is this a trend? Should I just scratch at the store and not wait until I get home? Either the person who is loitering is buying the next few tickets, or the store owner is. Someone is definitely watching (unless it's my own paranoia, lol).

??

Thats actually fairly common in many areas. I usually buy 1 or 2 then scratch them in the car. If they are losers I will decide if i want to go back into the store or not. That way I have the chance to get the next one in line. I will usually carry the losing tickets with me so if there are any "lurkers" they will see the tickets in my hand when I come back and think they are winners. That usually makes them not want to get the next ones in line. Then, instead of going to the clerk to cash them in, I'll buy the next 1 or 2 in line.

If anyone gets nosey and asks "hey man did you win on those"...I'll respond with "not enough, its never enough"....That way I answered them in the most vague way possible =)

Usually 3 is my limit. If I haven't won on 3, then I will call it a day on that game/store & bounce

TnTicketlosers's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg

United States
      Member #71120
      February 19, 2009
      1209 Posts
      Posted: April 10, 2011, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

Same sad story in Tennessee.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
        Florida
        United States
        Member #104435
        January 14, 2011
        2244 Posts
        Posted: April 10, 2011, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Yeah we have several threads on this subject. Its an epidemic lol.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

NYC
          United States
          Member #107856
          March 16, 2011
          13 Posts
          Posted: April 11, 2011, 8:11 am - IP Logged

I had it done to me once and lost $50 on a $10 game because of it. Next day I won $45 on a $1 game

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
            Nashville, TN
            United States
            Member #86739
            February 9, 2010
            483 Posts
            Posted: April 11, 2011, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

??

You should sit back and lurk on the lurker. When he goes and buys tickets without a customer knowing, quickly go behind HIM and buy more lol