Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tracking play

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 6 years ago by ameriken.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #108717
March 29, 2011
8 Posts
Posted: May 4, 2011, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

How carefully do you track your play? I have no idea how many tickets I've bought in the last year (let alone lifetime) and what my overall win has been. I don't play all that often so neither total spend nor total win amounts to much but I get the sense that a lot of people here have very detailed records of their play. I would think it's got be somewhat discouraging to see what (statistically) must be a lot of red...

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19826 Posts
    Posted: May 4, 2011, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

If you use a computer program to pick and check the numbers you play, a record of all your plays are kept automatically unless you delete them.  After updating the drawing results in the program you probably check to see if you won anything so you should have a rough idea of how you're doing.  However getting statistics on your wins and loses over a longer period of time takes a little more effort but the data is always available if you want to use it. 

Losing is not as discouraging as checking some of your previous plays and finding out had you played the same numbers the next drawing or two you could have won second prize or even the jackpot. If you consider playing the lottery a little more than just entertainment then that's the kind of information you might want know when evaluating your past performances of playing the game.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: May 4, 2011, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

How carefully do you track your play? I have no idea how many tickets I've bought in the last year (let alone lifetime) and what my overall win has been. I don't play all that often so neither total spend nor total win amounts to much but I get the sense that a lot of people here have very detailed records of their play. I would think it's got be somewhat discouraging to see what (statistically) must be a lot of red...

Not sure if this is unusual, but I personally log every single lotto ticket I play into a spreadsheet.

I know exactly how much I've spent on each type of game, and how much I've won. And for Scratch tickets, I also know how much I've spent at each particular store as well as the game type, and the percent return I am getting from each.

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
        Denver, Co
        United States
        Member #103046
        December 29, 2010
        546 Posts
        Posted: May 4, 2011, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

I like the suggestions of keeping all the played numbers. I have not been doing that yet, however a month ago I did start tracking the number of tix bought vs an equivelant set of random numbers for the purpose of knowing how my picks are doing against playing randomly. I also keep track of money spent vs money won as my own record as well as for tax purposes.

Give someone a fish and feed them for a day. Teach them to use the internet and they won't bother you for weeks. 

United States
          Member #108717
          March 29, 2011
          8 Posts
          Posted: May 5, 2011, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

I like the suggestions of keeping all the played numbers. I have not been doing that yet, however a month ago I did start tracking the number of tix bought vs an equivelant set of random numbers for the purpose of knowing how my picks are doing against playing randomly. I also keep track of money spent vs money won as my own record as well as for tax purposes.

Are lottery losses really tax-deductible? Another tax deductible tax?!?!?

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
            Denver, Co
            United States
            Member #103046
            December 29, 2010
            546 Posts
            Posted: May 5, 2011, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Are lottery losses really tax-deductible? Another tax deductible tax?!?!?

They're tax deductible only against gambling winnings, but nothing else.

If you win $1000, that is considered income and you could be taxed on it.

However, if during the same year, you have $2000 in gambling losses, you can apply $1000 of those toward the winnings, so you would have a net tax increase of $0. So you can only apply the amount of losses that is enough to offset the winnings.

The remainder of the losses is not tax deductible.

Give someone a fish and feed them for a day. Teach them to use the internet and they won't bother you for weeks.