Welcome Guest
You last visited April 29, 2017, 11:21 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do some States Lottery Websites list retailers/others not?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 6 years ago by GiveFive.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
lottolaughs's avatar - avatar
Serious Searcher
Sunny California
United States
Member #40295
May 31, 2006
8072 Posts
Posted: May 6, 2011, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Was very curious. Say I was going to take a trip to Bridgeport CT and wanted to buy a ticket. Where the heck could I? LOL. It's harder to find then a needle in a haystack,I swear!

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
    Texas
    United States
    Member #92330
    June 5, 2010
    887 Posts
    Posted: May 6, 2011, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to find a place selling them as most every gas station sells them. I've only been to two here and only one of them was owned by a larger business/corporation (Flying J, which I'm sure others sell them around here). The only issue I've really had that required a lookup online was finding places that sold certain scratch-offs.

Also Connecticuit's site does list lottery retailers. It's the first question in the FAQs section and while the default page only shows major locations ("high-tier claim centers") the left side of the page allows you to search by Town, Zip Code or County. I actually missed that option at first.

http://www.ctlottery.org/Modules/Locations/default.aspx

United States
      Member #75358
      June 1, 2009
      5345 Posts
      Posted: May 6, 2011, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

Was very curious. Say I was going to take a trip to Bridgeport CT and wanted to buy a ticket. Where the heck could I? LOL. It's harder to find then a needle in a haystack,I swear!

Why would you need a list of retailers that sold tickets? Just about every gas station sells lottery tickets.

lottolaughs's avatar - avatar
        Serious Searcher
        Sunny California
        United States
        Member #40295
        May 31, 2006
        8072 Posts
        Posted: May 6, 2011, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to find a place selling them as most every gas station sells them. I've only been to two here and only one of them was owned by a larger business/corporation (Flying J, which I'm sure others sell them around here). The only issue I've really had that required a lookup online was finding places that sold certain scratch-offs.

Also Connecticuit's site does list lottery retailers. It's the first question in the FAQs section and while the default page only shows major locations ("high-tier claim centers") the left side of the page allows you to search by Town, Zip Code or County. I actually missed that option at first.

http://www.ctlottery.org/Modules/Locations/default.aspx

Hey thanks a bunch...don't know how I missed that! You've been very helpful,thanks again :)

United States
          Member #105312
          January 29, 2011
          435 Posts
          Posted: May 8, 2011, 8:50 am - IP Logged

Hey thanks a bunch...don't know how I missed that! You've been very helpful,thanks again :)

I agree with you lottolaughs.  It probably isn't a problem some places and probably is others.  I don't often buy lottery tickets, but when I want to buy one I usually want to with determination.  I was in Fredericksburg, Texas a few months ago coincidentally at a time when I wanted to buy a pick 3 ticket.  Fredericksburg is the next-nearest town to where I am, but I don't go there often because of the next-nearest status.  After I finished my other business I started looking for a place to buy a Pick 3 ticket.... made several stops at convenience stores and came up zip.  Finally gave up and headed toward home without a ticket, stopped at a roadhouse/liquer store about midway back and they didn't sell them either.  Harper, the last village on the way back finally coughed up a ticket.  But I thought to myself at the time it was a lot of trouble to go to for the potential of a $40 win.

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            56262 Posts
            Posted: May 8, 2011, 10:24 am - IP Logged

Maybe Todd will Publish a Lottery Retailer Directory... Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              Texas
              United States
              Member #55889
              October 23, 2007
              6113 Posts
              Posted: May 8, 2011, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you lottolaughs.  It probably isn't a problem some places and probably is others.  I don't often buy lottery tickets, but when I want to buy one I usually want to with determination.  I was in Fredericksburg, Texas a few months ago coincidentally at a time when I wanted to buy a pick 3 ticket.  Fredericksburg is the next-nearest town to where I am, but I don't go there often because of the next-nearest status.  After I finished my other business I started looking for a place to buy a Pick 3 ticket.... made several stops at convenience stores and came up zip.  Finally gave up and headed toward home without a ticket, stopped at a roadhouse/liquer store about midway back and they didn't sell them either.  Harper, the last village on the way back finally coughed up a ticket.  But I thought to myself at the time it was a lot of trouble to go to for the potential of a $40 win.

Wow. I'm really surprised at that. I live in the DFW area, and just about every C-store, liquor store, and grocery store sells lottery tickets. My daughter goes to college in San Marcos, and it's the same there.

Was it worth the trouble to get your tic?

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
                Member #105312
                January 29, 2011
                435 Posts
                Posted: May 9, 2011, 8:41 am - IP Logged

Wow. I'm really surprised at that. I live in the DFW area, and just about every C-store, liquor store, and grocery store sells lottery tickets. My daughter goes to college in San Marcos, and it's the same there.

Was it worth the trouble to get your tic?

Hi rcbbuckeye:  Yeah, I was surprised, myself.  But Fredericksburg is one of those 'discovered' Hill Country communities.  Wall-to-wall city people out for a visit to how this part of Texas would have looked 60-70 years ago if people had been preoccupied with what a neat little place they lived in and how quaintly German they were.  You can get 87 varieties of ice cream and pay a hundred bucks for some broken hand made doodad for stretching a fence, but I suppose the weekenders buy their lottery tickets back where they came from. 

The dominant chain of convenience stores don't carry them.  No market for framed paintings of falling-down ranch houses surrounded by bluebonnets painted on failed quickpicks I'd imagine.

Once I've bought a ticket I always figure afterward it was worth the trouble doing it.  Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #94283
                  July 17, 2010
                  2284 Posts
                  Posted: May 9, 2011, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprised at the sitch in TX too.  They didn't have a lottery when I lived there, but I'd think every toot 'n totem and other c-stores would sell them.

Here in Idaho there used to be a small regional chain of c-stores that didn't have them but they started selling them a few years ago.  Now all c-stores, tobacco stores, liquor stores and grocery stores have them.

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3544 Posts
                    Posted: May 11, 2011, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

Why would you need a list of retailers that sold tickets? Just about every gas station sells lottery tickets.

Because  every retailer on the list sells tickets, as opposed to most gas stations or convenience stores. Of places that do sell tickets, some make it very obvious and some seem to think it's top secret information.  Why hunt around in your car when a useful website would offer the information in 30 seconds? Why drive miles down a main highway searching for a store in an area you don't know well, when there's a retailer 1/4 mile down a minor side street? Several years sback, when PB hit 365 million I happened to be going to Vermont, so I popped over to New Hampshire to buy some tickets. If I'd just picked a spot at random I might have had to drive several miles before finding the first store, whether they sold tickets or not. Since NH's website listed retailers I was able to find one that was only 1/4 mile past the river.

The state lotteries already have all the information, so it's doesn't take much effort to make it available.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      20022 Posts
                      Posted: May 11, 2011, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

Because  every retailer on the list sells tickets, as opposed to most gas stations or convenience stores. Of places that do sell tickets, some make it very obvious and some seem to think it's top secret information.  Why hunt around in your car when a useful website would offer the information in 30 seconds? Why drive miles down a main highway searching for a store in an area you don't know well, when there's a retailer 1/4 mile down a minor side street? Several years sback, when PB hit 365 million I happened to be going to Vermont, so I popped over to New Hampshire to buy some tickets. If I'd just picked a spot at random I might have had to drive several miles before finding the first store, whether they sold tickets or not. Since NH's website listed retailers I was able to find one that was only 1/4 mile past the river.

The state lotteries already have all the information, so it's doesn't take much effort to make it available.

Back then when only a few states sold PB or MM exclusively, when ever I drove to Indiana and the PB jackpot was over $200M I could tell where PB tickets were being sold by the lines of people standing outside waiting to get in to buy them.  Had I traveled farther in state that might not had been the case.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                        Member #75358
                        June 1, 2009
                        5345 Posts
                        Posted: May 11, 2011, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

I just thought every state was like Florida where I live now. 99% of the gas stations, liquor stores and supermarkets sell tickets.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                          NY State
                          United States
                          Member #92609
                          June 10, 2010
                          3909 Posts
                          Posted: May 14, 2011, 7:38 am - IP Logged

The State of New York has Lotto for sale everywhere you look.  Last I heard there were over 16,000 retailers and the list was growing. 

There was a time when if the guy a block down the street sold Lotto, a deli owner applying to sell lottery tickets had their application denied due to what N.Y. State called "saturation".  (Too many terminals in close proximity to each other.) No more, that policy went the way of the wind. 

New York has a retailer locator on their website, but LL, why in the world would you want to go to BRIDGEPORT?????   I have a daughter that goes to college in Fairfield, which is right next door to Bridgeport, and.... well, you get the idea I'm sure! 

Actually, BP has some very worthwhile attractions.  Webster Bank Arena at Harbor Yard springs to mind right away!  Venue's cant and dont come better than that!

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!