Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 1:41 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is Scratch off Lottery (SOL) fair to all?

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 5 years ago by jaggudada.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #103217
December 31, 2010
96 Posts
Posted: May 25, 2011, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure how the process of SOL printing and distribution work but I feel like it may not be fair to all participants. For e.g. let's say there is a lottery with 4 X 1 million dollar prizes and you enter the fray when top 3 prizes had been already taken as opposed when there were 4 unclaimed prizes i.e. when the game began. Do you think odds of winning still apply whether 1 top prize left or 4 top prize left? Does lottery spread top prizes across the distribution or it is randomly mixed? 

Do you have better odds if you played at the start of the game rather than towards the end of the game? or it is completely random event making it similar to draw lottery and there is no advantage or disadvantage to when you play the game.

I'm thinking playing before any of the top prizes get claimed would dramatically improve your relative odds. What do you say?

SE PA
    United States
    Member #93582
    July 3, 2010
    1866 Posts
    Posted: May 27, 2011, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

It's supposed to be random, but to me it does seem certain areas of the state and stages of the game do better. I won't accuse them of planning that, but they likely know and just let things be.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
      Oklahoma
      United States
      Member #82391
      November 12, 2009
      6290 Posts
      Posted: May 28, 2011, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure how the process of SOL printing and distribution work but I feel like it may not be fair to all participants. For e.g. let's say there is a lottery with 4 X 1 million dollar prizes and you enter the fray when top 3 prizes had been already taken as opposed when there were 4 unclaimed prizes i.e. when the game began. Do you think odds of winning still apply whether 1 top prize left or 4 top prize left? Does lottery spread top prizes across the distribution or it is randomly mixed? 

Do you have better odds if you played at the start of the game rather than towards the end of the game? or it is completely random event making it similar to draw lottery and there is no advantage or disadvantage to when you play the game.

I'm thinking playing before any of the top prizes get claimed would dramatically improve your relative odds. What do you say?

As Matt has stated above It's supposed to be random...however I have read it's better to play a new game when it first come out......

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5588 Posts
        Posted: June 5, 2011, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

Not sure about other states, but in Tx you can check the Lottery website and see how many prizes are left for each game. Obviously you don't want to play a scratcher where most of the top prizes have been claimed.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

NY
          United States
          Member #103217
          December 31, 2010
          96 Posts
          Posted: June 11, 2011, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

HOW will you know if the new game is coming out? There are tons of instant games