Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Chris Hansen, Lotto clerks Busted

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Boney526.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #75358
June 1, 2009
5345 Posts
Posted: May 26, 2011, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40262 Posts
    Posted: May 26, 2011, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Joker, get em all Chris!

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
      Oklahoma
      United States
      Member #82391
      November 12, 2009
      6290 Posts
      Posted: May 26, 2011, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Joker, get em all Chris!

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

United States
        Member #94616
        July 24, 2010
        4735 Posts
        Posted: May 28, 2011, 4:57 am - IP Logged

It never ends up good when you see Chris Hansen and a video crew coming YOUR way!!  I luv what he does!

LETS get him after Congress!!!

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
          Texas
          United States
          Member #92330
          June 5, 2010
          887 Posts
          Posted: May 28, 2011, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

I saw this a while back. I don't get why these people think they can get away with lying to the customer about their winnings (or non-winnings) and then trying to cash it themselves (with the help of friends/relatives).

Not only are they risking losing their ability to sale lottery, which I'm pretty sure would bring in a good deal of customers/money, but also jail time.

Personally I don't care how much I trust a cashier, I'm not handing over my ticket to be scanned until I know myself how big of a win there is, or isn't. And if it is a big winner, there's no way I'm letting anyone else handle it, I'm going straight to the local claims center to either cash it or if it's a jackpot, validate it, then it's only my lawyer, myself and the people at the head office that are going to be touching it.

NH
            United States
            Member #83352
            December 5, 2009
            223 Posts
            Posted: May 29, 2011, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

Awesome.  You just know it happens way to much. And for the New York Lotto, Shame on you. Using words like entrapment is just unbelievable to me. Maybe its time for the citizens of New York and those who travel to NY to post some You Tube clips of clerks in that state ripping the paying customer off. Someone should actually set up a website looking out for it. The reaction from the NY lotto was mind boggling to me.

NH
              United States
              Member #83352
              December 5, 2009
              223 Posts
              Posted: May 29, 2011, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

I saw this a while back. I don't get why these people think they can get away with lying to the customer about their winnings (or non-winnings) and then trying to cash it themselves (with the help of friends/relatives).

Not only are they risking losing their ability to sale lottery, which I'm pretty sure would bring in a good deal of customers/money, but also jail time.

Personally I don't care how much I trust a cashier, I'm not handing over my ticket to be scanned until I know myself how big of a win there is, or isn't. And if it is a big winner, there's no way I'm letting anyone else handle it, I'm going straight to the local claims center to either cash it or if it's a jackpot, validate it, then it's only my lawyer, myself and the people at the head office that are going to be touching it.

Agreed. But millions of people out there actually buy lotto tickets unconsciously. And they check them unconsciously. Many never check them at all.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
                Florida
                United States
                Member #104435
                January 14, 2011
                2244 Posts
                Posted: May 29, 2011, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

I dont have a problem with the clerk offering to buy the ticket upfront. It should be the winners decision if they want to sell or not. This is common practice at the racetrack and some convenience stores near me.

Only time ive ever been ripped off is I went to cash $240 in winners and the clerk told me I had only $160 in winners. After we argued 15 minutes I threatened to call the lotto and the cops but then the guy gave me my $240 and a free $20 ticket, so I never called them or want back to that store ( Kwik Stop )

2014 Highest Winner: $500

NH
                  United States
                  Member #83352
                  December 5, 2009
                  223 Posts
                  Posted: May 30, 2011, 1:31 am - IP Logged

It certainly is a grey area. Personally I'm on the fence about it. Imagine the amount of losses the store "worker" gets to show just because he sells lottery tickets. In a real busy store he/she could possibly show hundreds of thousands of dollars in loses on scratch tickets alone if need be. So buying winnings from people could potentially be 100% tax free to them. While the real winner is offered 65% of the total winnings.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
                    Florida
                    United States
                    Member #104435
                    January 14, 2011
                    2244 Posts
                    Posted: May 31, 2011, 12:41 am - IP Logged

It certainly is a grey area. Personally I'm on the fence about it. Imagine the amount of losses the store "worker" gets to show just because he sells lottery tickets. In a real busy store he/she could possibly show hundreds of thousands of dollars in loses on scratch tickets alone if need be. So buying winnings from people could potentially be 100% tax free to them. While the real winner is offered 65% of the total winnings.

That is exactly what happens.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #99032
                      October 18, 2010
                      1439 Posts
                      Posted: May 31, 2011, 1:13 am - IP Logged

I don't think we should look into that, but then again, I like anything that involves legally paying less taxes.....  they might don't do much good with it, and they're just gonna spend 1.5 trillion more than they take in anyway.

Although if I was a clerk, I wouldn't buy lotto tickets for under value, because in that case, I could lose my license.