Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Sharing winnnings w/ family members?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 6 years ago by tiggs95.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NoShame's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
Indiana
United States
Member #104853
January 21, 2011
159 Posts
Posted: June 2, 2011, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Say if you were to buy a ticket for yourself and it was a winner, how much of it would you give to family if you had a decent relationship with them?  How much would you give to whom?  And how much would go to relatives you live with?  Would you give to relatives living in your area or outside of it?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19828 Posts
    Posted: June 2, 2011, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

The fact that you would have to think about it probably means you wouldn't give them a thing or at least feel you have no good reason for doing so.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

surimaribo24's avatar - photo11 zpsfffd70be.jpg
      NEW YORK. RIVERHEAD
      United States
      Member #106371
      February 17, 2011
      9702 Posts
      Posted: June 2, 2011, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

you would give the ones first that needs it and will make it usefull  and the amount would be also determined how and where they could have use it to make their life better . beside that your part should come first to settle down and after that should be the sharing part

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: June 2, 2011, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

Say if you were to buy a ticket for yourself and it was a winner, how much of it would you give to family if you had a decent relationship with them?  How much would you give to whom?  And how much would go to relatives you live with?  Would you give to relatives living in your area or outside of it?

I'd give it all to em without a second thought.

My only regret would be that some of them are no longer here to receive it.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

shirbird's avatar - oliana
          spout spring va.
          United States
          Member #73235
          April 9, 2009
          1296 Posts
          Posted: June 2, 2011, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

well i'm not that close with my family but i would share with my children and grandchildren, my uncle and three friends that have been their when i needed thems.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: June 2, 2011, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

"My only regret would be that some of them are no longer here to receive it." Thumbs Up Amen brother Ridge.......

sully16's avatar - sharan
              Ringleader
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #81740
              October 28, 2009
              40497 Posts
              Posted: June 2, 2011, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

I'd give it all to em without a second thought.

My only regret would be that some of them are no longer here to receive it.

yes, I agree,

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                lottoville
                United States
                Member #95474
                August 11, 2010
                132 Posts
                Posted: June 2, 2011, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

Most of my relatives are doing okay for themselves but it also depends on how much I won. I figure the minimum I'd need to win is about $3 million after taxes, to have a pretty comfortable lifestyle for the rest of my life and I'm in my early 30's with no kids. If I win more than that, I'd definately share it with relatives just cause I won't know what else to do with the money but I don't owe anyone anything so it would be my choice.

Artemis's avatar - Alice
                  New England
                  United States
                  Member #100508
                  November 13, 2010
                  96 Posts
                  Posted: June 2, 2011, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

As lame as it may sound, I have already made a list of who I will give to, and how much, etc. 

It would be worth it to me, just to see the looks on their faces when I ask "So, what color car would you like"? Party

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #92330
                    June 5, 2010
                    887 Posts
                    Posted: June 3, 2011, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

How much I would give would obviously depend on how much I've won, but there's definitely family members I would share the winnings with and those that I wouldn't even want to know that I had won.

If I had won the recent Powerball I was planning on keeping a percentage of about 40% while spreading around the rest between family (where all immediate family members would receive a good amount), friends (five of my closest ones with my long time friend receiving the most) and donations to other places.

But now with the lower jackpots I would be giving parents a little bit so they can have enough to pay off home/car/other bills and some extra, then money for my younger brothers schooling and that's about it. With close friends on a smaller win I would probably just treat them to something like a few days in Vegas with some gambling money, since we're all on the younger side and we've all enjoyed it the times we've been there before.

With the lower jackpot, I would actually make it a point to let my parents know not to tell anyone else in the family about the win, since there are some members of our family that are known to be manipulative and are the last people I would want to know I had won. Others in the family would benefit like my older brother, we would take more trips to nice lakes or rivers to go fishing since that's something we used to always do before things started getting in the way, but only my parents would get a decent amount of money and the knowledge I won.

rukiafae's avatar - box
                      NC
                      United States
                      Member #100192
                      November 7, 2010
                      125 Posts
                      Posted: June 3, 2011, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

my grandparents could have anything they wanted.

same for my dad and I would pay for my brothers college. 

everyone else is out of luck, other than possibly a small gift of maybe $10,000 and that would be a case by case basis and one time only gift.

NH
                        United States
                        Member #83352
                        December 5, 2009
                        223 Posts
                        Posted: June 6, 2011, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

In many cases the amount you give almost always will never be enough. Money does strange things to even the closest of families. Sometimes I think just handing people money creates more problems than helps. I remember reading something about the young guy who worked for Gold's gym years ago who won many many millions and he made it very clear to this immediate family that they were to recieve a one time gift of like 10 or 12gs and that was it no matter what.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #92330
                          June 5, 2010
                          887 Posts
                          Posted: June 6, 2011, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

In many cases the amount you give almost always will never be enough. Money does strange things to even the closest of families. Sometimes I think just handing people money creates more problems than helps. I remember reading something about the young guy who worked for Gold's gym years ago who won many many millions and he made it very clear to this immediate family that they were to recieve a one time gift of like 10 or 12gs and that was it no matter what.

It was most probably $12,000 as I believe that was the max amount you could gift tax free back then.

feri32's avatar - nw gnome.jpg
                            Budapest
                            Hungary
                            Member #111903
                            June 5, 2011
                            35 Posts
                            Posted: June 7, 2011, 8:54 am - IP Logged

It really depends on how much I won.

I think 500.000 dollars would give them a headache-free life - at least in Hungary, where I live.

The rest I would keep and support useful stuff I also enjoy ...

education of children,Troll

vacation for poor children, Hyper

a commando to scare the sh*t out of child and wife abusers Smash

and so forth

I always play random numbers

United States
                              Member #110736
                              May 11, 2011
                              34 Posts
                              Posted: June 7, 2011, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

I would definitely give some to my parents and siblings. I hope someday (though a big win or through my hard work making a living) I can help my dad retire early. He's done a lot for me in my life so I'd like to help him take it easy. :)