Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If I won the Lottery (Charity Discussions).. I would give

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 5 years ago by adamcustom.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #59337
March 13, 2008
38 Posts
Posted: June 24, 2011, 11:28 am - IP Logged

What to do, what to do.  I'm a former veterinarian, so animals would be high on the priority list and I personally neutered many animals for SNAP certificates (neuter applies to either sex, spay is female, castration is proper term for male, just a pet peeve pls don't be offended).

No kill humane societies are mostly a joke.  You know why they can say "No Kill"????  Its because MOST OF THEM only take in the most adoptable dogs and cats so their success rate is high, and reject all the less adoptable animals to true animal control offices.  Kinda like how the Japanese police force chooses how to investigate murders . .  I saw that one on the History Channel, I think.

If that seems resentful, its because I had to perform many animal control services in the past.  Nothing like adminstering death to a litter of beautiful puppies or kittens to brighten up your outlook on life.  My needle was less painful than abandonment and starvation, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm pretty convinced my karma score suffers from that.  And the endless parade of euthansias that I had to carry out without passing judgement on the owners because they are my clients and I care for their emotional well being and don't feel it is my place to question their difficult decisions.  Word got around that I was so compassionate with owners that people started specifically requesting and making appointments for ME to do their euths.  And I couldn't turn them down, since I made them feel better emotionally and I think that's the right thing to do, even if I suffered for it.

If I end up in Hell, in addition to the flames there will be a long line of Dachschunds with white lab coats and gloves on telling me that I need my glands expressed.

I think I will set up a specific relief fund for veterinarians with compassion fatigue and secondary PTSD.

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
    Republic of Texas
    United States
    Member #57557
    January 9, 2008
    1095 Posts
    Posted: June 24, 2011, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

I already have given a little here and there for years. I regularly give to equine rescues that pull horses, donkeys, and mules from killer pens at auctions. I'd give more, enough to bail and ship instead of only a couple bucks. Plus, I'd sponsor one or two at a time who need special medical attention until they are well enough for adoption. I regularly follow Camelot Horse Weekly auctions, and I have a friend back in MI who has started a rescue that pulls only pregnant mares out of these auctions in the midwest. I'd up my donations to those rescues. Many of these horses wind up there due to the owner's financial situation, but many more are used up and tossed out like garbage. You find race horses, work horses, school horses, and camp horses. It's so sad what people so thoughtlessly do to these horses who work so hard for them for so long. Some rescues have pulled an injured horse out of the kill buyer's pen only so they could euthanize and end an untreatable horse's suffering. I get brought to tears at some of the stories. And yes, I am a sucker for a sweet horse or pony face. 

On the human end, I always participate in the Santa programs that give Christmas gifts to poor children. Also, I have not found the local equivalent here in Tx, but in MI I gave to Elle's Place, a grief counceling program for children. My UWay payroll donation was specified for Elle's Place and for the local women's shelter.

I'd love to set up a mini foundation that would continue to support the above (on a much grander scale Yes Nod ), especially one I could continue to contribute to every year out of my investment earnings. Overall, I figured I would immediately set aside 10% for this, then 10% every year.

On the other hand, with a sizable jackpot, there would be plenty of free time to donate to helping women in a woman's shelter. I'd also like to help the Red Cross disaster relief however I could even if it is only hauling and handing out bottled water. 

Family first:  I'd give my two sisters enough to be comfortable in retirement, and put enough away in an education trust for my and their children's/grandchildren's college.  I'd also set up a health trust for my and my sisters' immediate families. 

That's a lot... lol.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: June 24, 2011, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

Thems a coupla nice wimmins right there.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        North Carolina
        United States
        Member #64582
        September 1, 2008
        347 Posts
        Posted: June 25, 2011, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

I have a large family and my parents came from large families. Most are lower-middle class. Depending on how much I won, I was always hoping I could even give money to my aunts, uncles, and cousins (of which I have so many, I don't even know all their names), although through my LLC.

As for charity, I would like to give money to the Red Cross and Woman's Shelter in PA, Doctors Without Borders, some charities for Foster Children (possibly making one myself!), and some local charities too.

Depending, again, on how much I win, possibly some money for my college, although I'm hesitant as they will never, ever leave me alone again!

I've actually thought that maybe I would invest the money I want to donate instead and then donate any money that is made out of the dividends so that my giving never ends.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

Milwaukee, WI
          United States
          Member #3131
          December 27, 2003
          665 Posts
          Posted: June 25, 2011, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

HSUS shares less than 1 percent of your donations with local pet shelters.

This new billboard is part of HumaneWatch’s effort to challenge HSUS to put Americans’ donations to work doing what its members expect: funding the care of pets in shelters. A national poll conducted in February by Opinion Research Corporation found that 59 percent of Americans falsely believe HSUS “contributes most of its money to local organizations that care for dogs and cats.” But in 2008, HSUS shared less than one percent of its income with those needy hands-on pet care facilities.

Advertising messages similar to the Times Square billboard and USA TODAY  ad appeared last week in The Washington Post, The New York Times, Variety, and the Washington, DC edition of The Wall Street Journal.

“The Humane Society of the United States is a humane society in name only,” said David Martosko, CCF’s Director of Research and the editor of HumaneWatch.org. “HSUS raised $132 million last year from Americans who thought their donations would filter down to local pet shelters. Instead, all that money supports a huge staff of lawyers and lobbyists, bloated executive pension plans, exorbitant fundraising expenses, and PETA-style propaganda campaigns. Animal lovers should hold the group to a muchhigher standard.”

CCF pledged last week to shut completely down the HumaneWatch.org website if HSUS pledges to give just 50 percent of its income to hands-on pet shelters in the United States.

The Center for Consumer Freedom is a nonprofit watchdog organization that informs the public about the activities of tax-exempt activist groups. It is supported by American consumers, business organizations, and foundations.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
            FEMA Region V Camp #21
            United States
            Member #520
            July 27, 2002
            5699 Posts
            Posted: June 25, 2011, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

Would like to buy an old hotel and turn it into a homeless shelter / soup kitchen.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Milwaukee, WI
              United States
              Member #3131
              December 27, 2003
              665 Posts
              Posted: June 28, 2011, 6:39 am - IP Logged

I would want to set up something perpetual and long lasting. A fund that reinvests with the profits going to deserving charities. 

I would also make sure that it becomes somewhat separated from me. My fund funds groups that do the work.

I wouldn't want to be known as the person who doles out money. They would have to know that I don't do individual requests.

I DO want some peace!

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                Member #59354
                March 13, 2008
                3983 Posts
                Posted: June 29, 2011, 12:51 am - IP Logged

I would give on a one on one bases,  just here and there as I see the need and mostly the working poor.

I use to give all the time but now with limited funds not so much.   I may even not give at all and just enjoy

it myself.   Giving is good but there comes a time when one must start thinking of themself.  Spending does

at least as much good as giving.  When you buy, buy american and put people to work.  If you invest, then

invest it areas that put people to work and not the areas that are taking down America.   True freedom is

not so much not having someone else tell you what you can do but having places that are free.   TV use to

be free but the batards even took that away.   Having to pay for everything is slavery pure and simple and

I keep waiting for a bill for the air I breathe, hmmmm don't laugh, some worthless idots are surly working

on it as I write this.  Think about it, they even charge you for winning the lottery.  Fredoom, I think not.  The

back patting maggots running this country are the slave masters.   I am waiting on the next civil war and

this time I hope we end slavery once and for all.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: June 29, 2011, 1:05 am - IP Logged

I would give on a one on one bases,  just here and there as I see the need and mostly the working poor.

I use to give all the time but now with limited funds not so much.   I may even not give at all and just enjoy

it myself.   Giving is good but there comes a time when one must start thinking of themself.  Spending does

at least as much good as giving.  When you buy, buy american and put people to work.  If you invest, then

invest it areas that put people to work and not the areas that are taking down America.   True freedom is

not so much not having someone else tell you what you can do but having places that are free.   TV use to

be free but the batards even took that away.   Having to pay for everything is slavery pure and simple and

I keep waiting for a bill for the air I breathe, hmmmm don't laugh, some worthless idots are surly working

on it as I write this.  Think about it, they even charge you for winning the lottery.  Fredoom, I think not.  The

back patting maggots running this country are the slave masters.   I am waiting on the next civil war and

this time I hope we end slavery once and for all.

RL

It's already in motion, RL.

He's got plans to control what we do with any water that happens to be on our land in rural areas now and what we can grow and what kind of seeds we can use.

Once he controls the food and water we're screwed.

I know one guy that won't be cooperating though.

Me.

He can pound sand.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                    Member #59354
                    March 13, 2008
                    3983 Posts
                    Posted: June 29, 2011, 1:23 am - IP Logged

Rdgrnr

I know about the plans for our water and your right it's comming.   Just imagiane troops from another

country comming into the US to enforce ownership while most shake their heads asking how did this

ever happen.   I keep praying for a few 1km astroids to hit just off the cost of a few key places.  You got

to think/plan ahead because one on one won't work but keep your bore clean and the action lubed if for

no other reason then to slow it down and make them pay.   

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

Krakow
                      Poland
                      Member #86302
                      February 2, 2010
                      860 Posts
                      Posted: June 29, 2011, 4:30 am - IP Logged

How did it happen? How did they manage to convice so many people in the world they must have a brand new car every 3 years or so? Competing with one

another so fiercely so that now the only way out is to make crap instead of good solid stuff and push it " cheap". How is it possible that most powerful countries

boast that the bulk of their GNP comes not from manufacturing, but " experience economy" and all that bull<snip>. What kind of system is it? It's not capistalism

anymore as that system consists in investing and saving and not consumption only. Can it be that the only country which does it the old way is China? And

perhaps Germany, to some extent. What the sobering factor can be?

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.