Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 12:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Madness, If the shoe fits

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 6 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
SteveC's avatar - istockphoto 1955988-lottery-ball.jpg
Cincinnati
United States
Member #105168
January 26, 2011
600 Posts
Posted: June 16, 2011, 8:39 am - IP Logged

Twice everyday I walk into the cigar shop and plunk down hard earned money. If you had me hooked to a lie detector you would see that I honestly believe I was going to win that very draw.

I rarely do,but expect to anyways

in·san·i·ty/in'sanite/Noun

2. Extreme foolishness or irrationality.

Albert Einstein Quotes - Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...

United States
    Member #105312
    January 29, 2011
    435 Posts
    Posted: June 16, 2011, 9:22 am - IP Logged

Twice everyday I walk into the cigar shop and plunk down hard earned money. If you had me hooked to a lie detector you would see that I honestly believe I was going to win that very draw.

Albert Einstein Quotes - Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...

SteveC:  People who know a lot more about the functionings of the human mind than Albert Einstein have gone to a lot of trouble to define what is, what isn't, and what might be.  The fact they don't agree among themselves doesn't add any strength to what Einstein said about it, but it does leave a lot of elbow room for people who know even less about insanity than he did to add their own definitions to the ocean of them already in print and discourse.

What a person believes about winning lotteries is fairly small potatoes in the insanity arena except as a means of stereotyping people who believe or behave differently than we, ourselves, believe or behave.  There's little, or no evidence some overall condition of 'sanity' has much influence in any of our lives.

As a species, as nations, states and localities we've been doing the same things over and over again for at least half a century and expecting different results in issues with a lot more damaging consequences than what we think about lotteries.  Either Albert was wrong or insanity is the pot calling the kettle black.

ValidationAll statements made above are accurate, precise, lucid and sometimes supported by factoids written down somewhere.

SteveC's avatar - istockphoto 1955988-lottery-ball.jpg
      Cincinnati
      United States
      Member #105168
      January 26, 2011
      600 Posts
      Posted: June 16, 2011, 9:37 am - IP Logged

SteveC:  People who know a lot more about the functionings of the human mind than Albert Einstein have gone to a lot of trouble to define what is, what isn't, and what might be.  The fact they don't agree among themselves doesn't add any strength to what Einstein said about it, but it does leave a lot of elbow room for people who know even less about insanity than he did to add their own definitions to the ocean of them already in print and discourse.

What a person believes about winning lotteries is fairly small potatoes in the insanity arena except as a means of stereotyping people who believe or behave differently than we, ourselves, believe or behave.  There's little, or no evidence some overall condition of 'sanity' has much influence in any of our lives.

As a species, as nations, states and localities we've been doing the same things over and over again for at least half a century and expecting different results in issues with a lot more damaging consequences than what we think about lotteries.  Either Albert was wrong or insanity is the pot calling the kettle black.

Uhhhhhmmmm

OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
        lottoville
        United States
        Member #95474
        August 11, 2010
        132 Posts
        Posted: June 16, 2011, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

I don't care if Einstein said that quote but it's just plain wrong, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results can not be the definition of insanity.

An example would be, if I walked into my bedroom and flicked a light switch 10 nights in a row and had the light turn on every single time, on the 11th night I'm about to flick the switch, would it be insane of me to believe I might get a different result, as in maybe the light might not turn on?

How could that be insane to think the light might not come on just because it came on the other 10 times I flicked the switch? Who hasn't ever flicked a light switch expecting a light to come on the same way it has countless times before, only to get a different result?

sorry Einstein, stick to physics.

United States
          Member #75358
          June 1, 2009
          5345 Posts
          Posted: June 16, 2011, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

I don't care if Einstein said that quote but it's just plain wrong, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results can not be the definition of insanity.

An example would be, if I walked into my bedroom and flicked a light switch 10 nights in a row and had the light turn on every single time, on the 11th night I'm about to flick the switch, would it be insane of me to believe I might get a different result, as in maybe the light might not turn on?

How could that be insane to think the light might not come on just because it came on the other 10 times I flicked the switch? Who hasn't ever flicked a light switch expecting a light to come on the same way it has countless times before, only to get a different result?

sorry Einstein, stick to physics.

What Einstein was referring to is working on problems. If you conduct a test in order to solve the problem, and the test shows a negative result, it would be insane to do the exact same test over again and expect a different result.

This also applies to everyday people who wonder why their lives never change for the better. They keep the same habits going for 10 years and wonder why they never get ahead. If someone wants to change their lifestyle for the better, I.E. better job, better relationships, or whatever, they have to do something different than what they're doing now.

If i want to be a great guitar player, and i play the same chords over and over, or play the same scales over and over, without learning new techniques, and /or theories, scales, and so forth, I'll be the same old average Joe guitar player. I have a friend like this. i taught him how to play the guitar in the Navy many years ago, But in all that time, he still plays the same way. He never wanted to learn anything more, and was happy with his current playing style. And people around him can tell.

Einstein once said, "I try solving a problem 999 times and fail, but on the 1,000th time i succeed". He wasn't using the same info 1,000 times to achieve this. He was looking at the problem from different angles everytime.

Surely don't confuse repetition with what Einstein was saying. Repetition is good for certain things, like learning how to juggle. But Einstein was referring to problem solving techniques.

lottoville
            United States
            Member #95474
            August 11, 2010
            132 Posts
            Posted: June 16, 2011, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

What Einstein was referring to is working on problems. If you conduct a test in order to solve the problem, and the test shows a negative result, it would be insane to do the exact same test over again and expect a different result.

This also applies to everyday people who wonder why their lives never change for the better. They keep the same habits going for 10 years and wonder why they never get ahead. If someone wants to change their lifestyle for the better, I.E. better job, better relationships, or whatever, they have to do something different than what they're doing now.

If i want to be a great guitar player, and i play the same chords over and over, or play the same scales over and over, without learning new techniques, and /or theories, scales, and so forth, I'll be the same old average Joe guitar player. I have a friend like this. i taught him how to play the guitar in the Navy many years ago, But in all that time, he still plays the same way. He never wanted to learn anything more, and was happy with his current playing style. And people around him can tell.

Einstein once said, "I try solving a problem 999 times and fail, but on the 1,000th time i succeed". He wasn't using the same info 1,000 times to achieve this. He was looking at the problem from different angles everytime.

Surely don't confuse repetition with what Einstein was saying. Repetition is good for certain things, like learning how to juggle. But Einstein was referring to problem solving techniques.

Evoking Einstein's name is just an appeal to authority. Einstein contributed many things to our understanding of the world but he was not a demigod and he was not infallible. If you look at the statement and try to determine it's truth value, you'll realize it is wrong. Doing the same thing and expecting different results is not the definition of insanity.

United States
              Member #75358
              June 1, 2009
              5345 Posts
              Posted: June 16, 2011, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

Evoking Einstein's name is just an appeal to authority. Einstein contributed many things to our understanding of the world but he was not a demigod and he was not infallible. If you look at the statement and try to determine it's truth value, you'll realize it is wrong. Doing the same thing and expecting different results is not the definition of insanity.

Again, it all depends what you're applying it to.

If I try to break a hole into a solid wall of steel with a plastic fork, and after 5 attempts the  fork broke, yet I got another plastic fork for another attempt, that would constitue being insane, or just plain dumb.

But if i realized a plastic fork wasn't going to do the job, and got an electric drill strong enough, then I would be sane.

lottoville
                United States
                Member #95474
                August 11, 2010
                132 Posts
                Posted: June 16, 2011, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Again, it all depends what you're applying it to.

If I try to break a hole into a solid wall of steel with a plastic fork, and after 5 attempts the  fork broke, yet I got another plastic fork for another attempt, that would constitue being insane, or just plain dumb.

But if i realized a plastic fork wasn't going to do the job, and got an electric drill strong enough, then I would be sane.

the problem with the statement and the reason it should never be used, is it implies that if someone doesn’t put their faith in inductive reasoning, then they are insane.
                And yes, inductive reasoning is a form of faith. If you don’t believe me look up the “problem of induction.”

United States
                  Member #75358
                  June 1, 2009
                  5345 Posts
                  Posted: June 16, 2011, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

the problem with the statement and the reason it should never be used, is it implies that if someone doesn’t put their faith in inductive reasoning, then they are insane.
                  And yes, inductive reasoning is a form of faith. If you don’t believe me look up the “problem of induction.”

You're really making it more complicated than it is. Faith has nothing to do with this.

lottoville
                    United States
                    Member #95474
                    August 11, 2010
                    132 Posts
                    Posted: June 16, 2011, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

You're really making it more complicated than it is. Faith has nothing to do with this.

when you believe something will happen in the future based on what has happened in the past, you are taking an inductive leap of faith.

United States
                      Member #75358
                      June 1, 2009
                      5345 Posts
                      Posted: June 16, 2011, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

when you believe something will happen in the future based on what has happened in the past, you are taking an inductive leap of faith.

How do you figure?

It's not faith to believe a drill will work better than a plastic fork, it's a fact. I believe you're thinking way too hard.

lottoville
                        United States
                        Member #95474
                        August 11, 2010
                        132 Posts
                        Posted: June 16, 2011, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

How do you figure?

It's not faith to believe a drill will work better than a plastic fork, it's a fact. I believe you're thinking way too hard.

you're right but I never knew thinking was a fault. I'm sure you don't know what inductive reasoning is let alone know how it could possibly be an act of faith.

United States
                          Member #75358
                          June 1, 2009
                          5345 Posts
                          Posted: June 16, 2011, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

you're right but I never knew thinking was a fault. I'm sure you don't know what inductive reasoning is let alone know how it could possibly be an act of faith.

Thinking is not a fault, but thinking about something that has nothing to do with what Einstein says in that quote is called drifting away from the facts. You keep interjecting things that dilute what he's saying.

feri32's avatar - nw gnome.jpg
                            Budapest
                            Hungary
                            Member #111903
                            June 5, 2011
                            35 Posts
                            Posted: June 17, 2011, 3:43 am - IP Logged

I think you are applying that rule to something you shouldn't :)

It would apply if you woke up every morning and dream about hitting the lottery without actually buying a ticket.

I always play random numbers

United States
                              Member #111186
                              May 20, 2011
                              344 Posts
                              Posted: June 17, 2011, 5:54 am - IP Logged

I can relate!! Thud   Bang Head