Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 2:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

"Do you play the lottery"

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 6 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Tenaj's avatar - michellea
Charlotte NC
United States
Member #17406
June 18, 2005
4054 Posts
Posted: June 17, 2011, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Yes NodOn my browser there is a "do you play the lottery poll" question.  Of course I voted "yes", thinking maybe

40 % of the people or less voted "no" before I viewed the results.  I was so surprised that 87% of the people voted "yes" and 13% voted no. 

Eighty seven percent is almost the whole. I think that is amazing.  I never thought that many people played the lottery. Of course it only count the people with that particular browser but still I think that is high.

I guess playing the lottery has changed like pole dancing doesn't carry the bad stigma like it used to.  I guess I shouldn't be so surprised given that we are in a downturned economy.

takeemtothebank

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: June 17, 2011, 11:14 am - IP Logged

That's kind of surprising to me also, Tenaj. Never thought the percentage would be that high.

And btw, I've always wanted to see Pole Dancers and after I win the big one I just might go to Poland and see some.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      42115 Posts
      Posted: June 17, 2011, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

That's kind of surprising to me also, Tenaj. Never thought the percentage would be that high.

And btw, I've always wanted to see Pole Dancers and after I win the big one I just might go to Poland and see some.

Poland? How about the North or South Pole ?Naughty

HyperBe Happy.

United States
        Member #111427
        May 25, 2011
        21 Posts
        Posted: June 17, 2011, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

I think the economy has a lot to do with it. I didn’t start playing til about a year ago. After a very long unemployment, going through all my savings and cashing out my 401K, and now working for 1/3 of what I used to make, winning the lottery gives me some hope that I may recover some of what I’ve lost, and possibly get even more.

BTW, I’m from Poland… Polish dancers are pretty neat, and each region has it’s own regional costume LOL

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #82391
          November 12, 2009
          6305 Posts
          Posted: June 17, 2011, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

Poland? How about the North or South Pole ?Naughty

LOL.......ROFLROFL

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
            Santa Ana
            United States
            Member #71159
            February 20, 2009
            651 Posts
            Posted: June 19, 2011, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

Yes NodOn my browser there is a "do you play the lottery poll" question.  Of course I voted "yes", thinking maybe

40 % of the people or less voted "no" before I viewed the results.  I was so surprised that 87% of the people voted "yes" and 13% voted no. 

Eighty seven percent is almost the whole. I think that is amazing.  I never thought that many people played the lottery. Of course it only count the people with that particular browser but still I think that is high.

I guess playing the lottery has changed like pole dancing doesn't carry the bad stigma like it used to.  I guess I shouldn't be so surprised given that we are in a downturned economy.

Yes, I play the lottery everyday however, it has been very challenging playing the same numbers over and over and so far not win any life changing amount of money. What keeps me movtivated is knowing that I will win big very soon.Hurray!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: June 19, 2011, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

Still hard to believe that many play it. Maybe there's "closet" lottery players.

--Edmund Burke

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                Charlotte NC
                United States
                Member #17406
                June 18, 2005
                4054 Posts
                Posted: June 19, 2011, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

Still hard to believe that many play it. Maybe there's "closet" lottery players.

It went up from 88% since yesterday.

takeemtothebank

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                  Member #47420
                  November 4, 2006
                  3930 Posts
                  Posted: June 20, 2011, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

tiggs feels 13% are lying..tiggs will have to consult with pumpie on this and get back with you..Carry on in the mean time..

Pure luck

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7344 Posts
                    Posted: June 20, 2011, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

It looks pretty high considering the per-capita spending in each state with lotteries so maybe the results show that lottery players are more inclined to take the poll than non lottery players.

philly
                      United States
                      Member #484
                      July 14, 2002
                      49 Posts
                      Posted: June 20, 2011, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

truth  be told, the lottery plays me

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                        Northern Virginia
                        United States
                        Member #83350
                        December 5, 2009
                        1322 Posts
                        Posted: June 20, 2011, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

I do play, but seldom.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: June 20, 2011, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

I do play, but seldom.

Gotta be in it to win it, Hermanus!

--Edmund Burke

United States
                            Member #75358
                            June 1, 2009
                            5345 Posts
                            Posted: June 21, 2011, 2:27 am - IP Logged

It's nice to buy ONE ticket and hope for the best, but most of what I've studied leans towards a flase hope.

I'll buy a JP ticket once maybe twice a month. The odds are just too rediculous for the birthday player to anticipate a win just because they spent this much money, or did this or that. Maybe they'll even feel they're destined to win, when 99.9 percent are losers.

Unless someone systematically observes all the good qualities of a successful investigative approach, diligent by following through and discovering for themselves what the cost/profit ratio is, or whether mystical resources may be handy, or whatever methods they choose, is simply false hope.

On one hand it's nice to dream, and then there's the reality of the odds.

This is why I stick to the Pick-3. Until I can master 1,000 to 1 for a straight hit on a regular basis, or by many boxed hits on a consistent positive cash flow basis, will I be able to progress to something harder like the Pick-4. 

Until then, I'll buy a QP ticket now and then and hope for the best, but not because I think I have a better chance of winning because it was a QP.....Wink.... 

I know who'll answer this post...lol

feri32's avatar - nw gnome.jpg
                              Budapest
                              Hungary
                              Member #111903
                              June 5, 2011
                              35 Posts
                              Posted: June 21, 2011, 4:33 am - IP Logged

I agree that it has a corelation with the economics. I am from Hungary and my grandparents after the war played lottery and toto every week. They had no money, no perspectives, so they worked, made love and played the lottery.

My parents did not play the lottery every week, rather occasionally.

Me, the tech-age guy did not play the lottery until the recession hit and started to look for some other possible stream of income. Even now I play random numbers, so I would not say I play the lottary I just participate in it :)

As far as pole-dancing, Hungarian girls started a movement to make it a sport and now they even have a world championship organized for pole dancing...so when you go to Poland, stop by Hungary too Thumbs Up

I always play random numbers