Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 7:07 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Idaho Lottery - largest payout for least invested?

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 6 years ago by uRabbit.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Boise, ID
United States
Member #112352
June 17, 2011
3 Posts
Posted: June 17, 2011, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

Hi all. I am SURE this has been asked countless times, but it seems as though I cannot find it (via Google or forum search). I am trying to figure out Idaho Lottery's 'best bet'. I don't care how much the jackpot is. I just want to know what the best payout for the least invested is. I guess it would be a ratio.

Say, for instance, I buy a $1 pull-tab with a jackpot of $300, that only 2 people win. But, the chances of winning that $300 jackpot is better than playing, say, the PowerBall. However, the odds of winning $300 in the PowerBall may be better and more cost-efficient. I simply do not know.

I am not great with math, so this is where y'all number crunchers come in. Ha.

If anyone could help, that'd be great. :)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19901 Posts
    Posted: June 17, 2011, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

The odds of winning a jackpot or a lower tier prize for the online games are on the back of their play slips.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7344 Posts
      Posted: June 17, 2011, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Hi all. I am SURE this has been asked countless times, but it seems as though I cannot find it (via Google or forum search). I am trying to figure out Idaho Lottery's 'best bet'. I don't care how much the jackpot is. I just want to know what the best payout for the least invested is. I guess it would be a ratio.

Say, for instance, I buy a $1 pull-tab with a jackpot of $300, that only 2 people win. But, the chances of winning that $300 jackpot is better than playing, say, the PowerBall. However, the odds of winning $300 in the PowerBall may be better and more cost-efficient. I simply do not know.

I am not great with math, so this is where y'all number crunchers come in. Ha.

If anyone could help, that'd be great. :)

The odds against winning $100 in PB is 13,644 to 1 and that's by matching 3 numbers plus the bonus ball. If you're trying to match 4 numbers to win $100 it's 19,030 to 1 odds. To win $300, you'll need an 3 of those hits. I'm not sure if there is a game with worse odds than PB.

The odds against winning $300 in most pick-3 games is 999 to 1 playing a 50 cent straight/box ticket. As for scratch-offs and pull tabs, check the state lottery website and see the odds against winning $300. Most $1 scratch-offs have top prizes of $500 and up and the odds against are usually much higher than 1000 to 1. 

The Idaho site lists their pull tab odds as a chance to win any prize but considering the amount of prizes in each box and the payoff percentages, the odds against winning $300 is probably much higher.

Boise, ID
        United States
        Member #112352
        June 17, 2011
        3 Posts
        Posted: June 18, 2011, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

So the best payout to dollars spent is probably the pull-tabs?