Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are vendors supposed to 'tape' tickets together?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Ralphie762.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
new york
United States
Member #63828
August 9, 2008
177 Posts
Posted: June 18, 2011, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

So last night I went to buy seven $10.00 tickets. I noticed the first ticket was #47 (most stores sell them from the last number - 50 - to the first number - 1.

So I bought the seven tickets, and when I got home I started to tear each ticket when I noticed that there was no number 45. It went from number 46 to number 44.  After close inspection, I noticed a very thin piece of tape that held 46 and 44 together. So apparently, #47 and #46 were from a different roll.

Is this ethical? Are vendors supposed to do this? BTW, I did not win anything on #47 and 46. Number 41 won $25.00 and #40 won $10.00. I'm wondering if the vendor knew that #45 was a big winner?

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #74096
    May 2, 2009
    22941 Posts
    Posted: June 18, 2011, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Report the store to your lottery headquarters.

It is obvious tampering. A clearly visible line of tape holding sequential tickets in place, ok. But a thin piece

of tape....thin enough in hopes someone would not notice? No.

There are cheats and thieves all over the place. No one can tell me that this instant ticket 'racket' has not

been 'decoded' by now and that it's all random.

new york
      United States
      Member #63828
      August 9, 2008
      177 Posts
      Posted: June 18, 2011, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

Report the store to your lottery headquarters.

It is obvious tampering. A clearly visible line of tape holding sequential tickets in place, ok. But a thin piece

of tape....thin enough in hopes someone would not notice? No.

There are cheats and thieves all over the place. No one can tell me that this instant ticket 'racket' has not

been 'decoded' by now and that it's all random.

Thanks dr65. I live in NYC, and this isn't the first time I've suspected store owners of cheating.

I looked at the tickets that I bought and there was no evidence of visible tampering - but, something is not right!!

I will report the store.

Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #109275
        April 9, 2011
        1495 Posts
        Posted: June 18, 2011, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

I agree with DR65. I use to work in a store and load tickets in the machines. If a pack was nearing the end, we would tape the next pack to it, so it wouldnt run out. It should never be done at counters or where people hand you the tickets...

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #74096
          May 2, 2009
          22941 Posts
          Posted: June 19, 2011, 2:16 am - IP Logged

I think there is just too much insider info being passed around and by that I mean that thousands of

people play these games and run into hundreds of clerks who hear the stories associated with playing

them. When the game itself is seemingly so large and widespread that a chance of cheating and having

an inside edge seems impossible, I'd be reconsidering that notion. If I consider my local tobacco shop

alone, there are hundreds of players that go there to buy instants and dailys...there is a LOT of talk

in that shop. I don't suspect the clerk of anything underhanded or wrong but he stocks the machines,

activates the packs, keeps the counter tickets stocked well even if he has to put the remaining 3 or so

from the last pack on top of the new pack...no tape, they just kind of hang there. He activates them,

validates them, is accustomed to ticket numbers and player preferences...which, by the way, the ticket

numbers are VERY important to some people. Being a clerk he has insight which most players don't even

think about - why would they? Most people come in, order their tickets, scratch them or take them home.

Some players come in and TALK....and they talk about what they know.

I think it gives a clerk...any clerk....the advantage of not having to play the tickets him/herself yet gain

tons of information (ticket numbers, winning amounts, winning games, losing games, etc. etc.) without

the clerk having to spend a red cent.

I just always considered it a conflict for a clerk to be able to play tickets - it seems to me that it's like

the fox in charge of the hen house. Money is a motivator in the wrong direction for some people. The

lottery has to change it's security measures once in awhile to hinder cheats...but the cheats find ways

around them. I've seen suspicious things on instant tickets already that I had to report. In some IVM's

and counter tickets, I've gotten tickets that are missing some latex here and there..AND this is on tickets

that have NO letter codes...so why and what is whoever did that to the tickets looking for?

It's a darn shame that in a game that's supposed to be totally random, you have to worry about the

not so random criminal tampering with the tickets you intend to buy and the insider information clerk

using what s/he knows and sees everyday to direct him/her to possibly the best ticket in the pack with

enough tries at it...they have the whole selection at their fingertips. And with some carefully placed tape

who is going to know? Maybe the camera that they have installed in some stores has a story to tell the

local lottery officials. I wouldn't waste any time in reporting such gross misconduct and downright thievery.

Please OP, follow through and report back.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
            Florida
            United States
            Member #104435
            January 14, 2011
            2244 Posts
            Posted: June 19, 2011, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

I think there is just too much insider info being passed around and by that I mean that thousands of

people play these games and run into hundreds of clerks who hear the stories associated with playing

them. When the game itself is seemingly so large and widespread that a chance of cheating and having

an inside edge seems impossible, I'd be reconsidering that notion. If I consider my local tobacco shop

alone, there are hundreds of players that go there to buy instants and dailys...there is a LOT of talk

in that shop. I don't suspect the clerk of anything underhanded or wrong but he stocks the machines,

activates the packs, keeps the counter tickets stocked well even if he has to put the remaining 3 or so

from the last pack on top of the new pack...no tape, they just kind of hang there. He activates them,

validates them, is accustomed to ticket numbers and player preferences...which, by the way, the ticket

numbers are VERY important to some people. Being a clerk he has insight which most players don't even

think about - why would they? Most people come in, order their tickets, scratch them or take them home.

I think it gives a clerk...any clerk....the advantage of not having to play the tickets him/herself yet gain

tons of information (ticket numbers, winning amounts, winning games, losing games, etc. etc.) without

I just always considered it a conflict for a clerk to be able to play tickets - it seems to me that it's like

the fox in charge of the hen house. Money is a motivator in the wrong direction for some people. The

lottery has to change it's security measures once in awhile to hinder cheats...but the cheats find ways

around them. I've seen suspicious things on instant tickets already that I had to report. In some IVM's

and counter tickets, I've gotten tickets that are missing some latex here and there..AND this is on tickets

that have NO letter codes...so why and what is whoever did that to the tickets looking for?

It's a darn shame that in a game that's supposed to be totally random, you have to worry about the

not so random criminal tampering with the tickets you intend to buy and the insider information clerk

using what s/he knows and sees everyday to direct him/her to possibly the best ticket in the pack with

enough tries at it...they have the whole selection at their fingertips. And with some carefully placed tape

who is going to know? Maybe the camera that they have installed in some stores has a story to tell the

local lottery officials. I wouldn't waste any time in reporting such gross misconduct and downright thievery.

Regarding the latex missing from the ticket from the machine ive ran into this before also. usually at small stores, where perhaps afterhours clerks make minute scratches in hopes they hit a number or something ?? they are usually as thin as a hair, but in groups and sometimes 50% of the ticket has these scratches....

ive seen them on monopoly and FMC, where perhaps they are looking for symbols ??

And when you go and confront the clerk, they just say the machine scratched the tickets.... yeah f'ing right ! every ticket would be scratched then not just a few ...

2014 Highest Winner: $500

new york
              United States
              Member #63828
              August 9, 2008
              177 Posts
              Posted: June 26, 2011, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

I have notified the NYS lottery and am waiting for a response. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.