Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Finding Grand Prizes When You Can't Even Find The Game

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 5 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Appleton, WI
United States
Member #109669
April 17, 2011
6 Posts
Posted: June 19, 2011, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

So there are a few older scratch off games in my state that still have grand prize winners left - the only problem is I can't find these games offered anywhere.

Any tips for finding older scratch off tickets?

Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #109275
    April 9, 2011
    1495 Posts
    Posted: June 19, 2011, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

I would say to avoid any newer retailers. tough to say since it is up to the store owner as to which games to carry.  I have been to stores that carry about 5-6 tickets and been to some that carry 40 or more.  I would think some small mom and pop store with minimal turn around.

Appleton, WI
      United States
      Member #109669
      April 17, 2011
      6 Posts
      Posted: June 19, 2011, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

That is along the lines of what I was thinking.  Or maybe even a "hard to get to" retailer on an island possibly?  I was also thinking maybe the older ones might be in one of those machines somewhere since it seems that those don't get used as much as the ones at the counter.  Just some guesses.  I'm getting used to being disappointed that everywhere I look I can't find the games. 

I've checked most of the retailers in my city (and bought most of one specific $3 game in the city).  Time to look elsewhere now.

Thanks.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
        Florida
        United States
        Member #104435
        January 14, 2011
        2244 Posts
        Posted: June 19, 2011, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

the district office has every scratch off. in florida some games just simply do not exist in my surrounding area and i found out some clerks cant even order them.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #94283
          July 17, 2010
          2284 Posts
          Posted: June 19, 2011, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

Is that a good strategy?

Several years ago I'd go online and find the ones that were 90% or better sold out but still had top prizes left, and buy those.  Never won anything over a couple bucks.

I see some here say to buy the new games.   I always assumed the lottery held back the big prizes so they'd sell alot of tickets and make money.  Am I a conspiracy nut?

surimaribo24's avatar - photo11 zpsfffd70be.jpg
            NEW YORK. RIVERHEAD
            United States
            Member #106371
            February 17, 2011
            9702 Posts
            Posted: June 19, 2011, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Is that a good strategy?

Several years ago I'd go online and find the ones that were 90% or better sold out but still had top prizes left, and buy those.  Never won anything over a couple bucks.

I see some here say to buy the new games.   I always assumed the lottery held back the big prizes so they'd sell alot of tickets and make money.  Am I a conspiracy nut?

same thing i was feeling on the happy birtday scratch off in ny. i never heard or seen anyone getting any crap out of it . but online is like the highest listed on prized to be claimed . which made me play on and off that cause of the chances . and is a bommer i mean you buy 20 and you ll be lucky to get a dollar in it. so i do think they full of sht and make us waist our money on it

Appleton, WI
              United States
              Member #109669
              April 17, 2011
              6 Posts
              Posted: June 19, 2011, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Well the $1 scratch offs are the worst.  Not to sound condescending but I am looking for a more serious jackpot than $100.  Thanks for the input though.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                The Ville, FL
                United States
                Member #95879
                August 19, 2010
                1708 Posts
                Posted: June 19, 2011, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

Im my area, I tend to find the older scratchers in the "Mom n Pop" type stores and the Asian markets. For some reason the Asian markets ALWAYS have the games im looking for and they stay open later. Grocery stores tend to usually only stock the most popular games because they know they will sell them.

Florida
                  United States
                  Member #104435
                  January 14, 2011
                  2244 Posts
                  Posted: June 19, 2011, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Im my area, I tend to find the older scratchers in the "Mom n Pop" type stores and the Asian markets. For some reason the Asian markets ALWAYS have the games im looking for and they stay open later. Grocery stores tend to usually only stock the most popular games because they know they will sell them.

Asian markets dont sell lotto in my area :( 

True about the grocery stores. they just want to sell and move rolls as fast as possible. older games simply do not sell well, if at all. ive seen some of the football game rolls last for 3 months the same roll. at the same time the store sells 20 rolls of a new game easily. the clerk begs me to buy them every time....

Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #109275
                    April 9, 2011
                    1495 Posts
                    Posted: June 19, 2011, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

Asian markets dont sell lotto in my area :( 

True about the grocery stores. they just want to sell and move rolls as fast as possible. older games simply do not sell well, if at all. ive seen some of the football game rolls last for 3 months the same roll. at the same time the store sells 20 rolls of a new game easily. the clerk begs me to buy them every time....

Tell the store you will buy them at half price :)

Florida
                      United States
                      Member #104435
                      January 14, 2011
                      2244 Posts
                      Posted: June 19, 2011, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

Tell the store you will buy them at half price :)

haha sports games are the worst. I would not even buy the roll if they gave me $100 off.

Appleton, WI
                        United States
                        Member #109669
                        April 17, 2011
                        6 Posts
                        Posted: June 20, 2011, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

Consensus - Mom & Pop gas stations/stores.

That's kinda what I figured, I just needed to hear it from someone else I guess.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                          Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #74096
                          May 2, 2009
                          22861 Posts
                          Posted: June 20, 2011, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

Tobacco stores in strip malls and malls. THEY have EVERYTHING! They go ticket crazy and if they need to put

up 3 display units plus 2 IVM's - they do. Try to find one, I'll bet everything you need is right there. Good luck.

Sullivan, IL
                            United States
                            Member #112847
                            June 26, 2011
                            1 Posts
                            Posted: June 26, 2011, 11:26 am - IP Logged

Would the Lottery in my state be able to tell me where a certain ticket is still being sold? I'm looking for a specific game that still has a grand prize but they aren't being sold in my town and it seems crazy to go around the state looking for it. If however I knew for a fact that it was being sold in only a few places (as I suspect) I would chance going and buying them up.

Appleton, WI
                              United States
                              Member #109669
                              April 17, 2011
                              6 Posts
                              Posted: June 28, 2011, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

Would the Lottery in my state be able to tell me where a certain ticket is still being sold? I'm looking for a specific game that still has a grand prize but they aren't being sold in my town and it seems crazy to go around the state looking for it. If however I knew for a fact that it was being sold in only a few places (as I suspect) I would chance going and buying them up.

I doubt it.  That information would be quite valuable.  I believe the closest you can get is to look up who sells scratch offs in general.