Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Clerk can't sell because she already counted them up

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 5 years ago by sully16.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
California
United States
Member #112364
June 17, 2011
661 Posts
Posted: June 21, 2011, 1:30 am - IP Logged

I tried to buy a scratch ticket today but the clerk said that she can't sell it because she already counted them up. She showed me what appears to be a paperwork with tables or something.

What did she mean by counting them up and why couldn't she sell it to me? I didn't want to make a scene so I didn't ask and I just left the store.

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
    Midlands, SC
    United States
    Member #69698
    January 14, 2009
    303 Posts
    Posted: June 21, 2011, 1:42 am - IP Logged

I have had that happen a lot.  It's like cashiers at a grocery store that have to count down their drawer after work.  They have to count the tickets when they change shifts I believe.  They are not suppose to turn you away, but most of them do.  When they count the tickets they don't want to adjust their charts because someone came in to buy while they were waiting on their co-worker to sign in. 

Correct me if I'm wrong someone.  I use to be a cashier before we had scratch-offs here in SC. I did have one lady go ahead and let me buy 3 (because I"m a regular) but she updated her chart while I was there.  It basically comes down to pure laziness...like when you go to a gas station late at night and they put the out of order sign on the door because they just cleaned the bathroom at the end of their shift and they don't want you messing it up. 

When it's time to clock out and go home, you do what you gotta do.

Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #109275
      April 9, 2011
      1495 Posts
      Posted: June 21, 2011, 8:32 am - IP Logged

I have had that happen a lot.  It's like cashiers at a grocery store that have to count down their drawer after work.  They have to count the tickets when they change shifts I believe.  They are not suppose to turn you away, but most of them do.  When they count the tickets they don't want to adjust their charts because someone came in to buy while they were waiting on their co-worker to sign in. 

Correct me if I'm wrong someone.  I use to be a cashier before we had scratch-offs here in SC. I did have one lady go ahead and let me buy 3 (because I"m a regular) but she updated her chart while I was there.  It basically comes down to pure laziness...like when you go to a gas station late at night and they put the out of order sign on the door because they just cleaned the bathroom at the end of their shift and they don't want you messing it up. 

When it's time to clock out and go home, you do what you gotta do.

Dopey. You are correct. I use to work a grocery store with lottery. The end of the shift we had a starting # and ending # for the batches on the counter and had to make them match. That was old school and by hand. I think the newer systems, they run and print out the reports. I had it happen to me at a beer distributor before also. I would say there is no foul play involved.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6290 Posts
        Posted: June 21, 2011, 8:58 am - IP Logged

I tried to buy a scratch ticket today but the clerk said that she can't sell it because she already counted them up. She showed me what appears to be a paperwork with tables or something.

What did she mean by counting them up and why couldn't she sell it to me? I didn't want to make a scene so I didn't ask and I just left the store.

Sorry that happen to you redhot7.... this is why a lot of people use the vending machines.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
          The Ville, FL
          United States
          Member #95879
          August 19, 2010
          1708 Posts
          Posted: June 30, 2011, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

This happens quite a bit at most large store chains. If it's a mom n pop style place they have different rules.

What was said above is correct.

Just curious, was it nearing closing time when this happened?

surimaribo24's avatar - photo11 zpsfffd70be.jpg
            NEW YORK. RIVERHEAD
            United States
            Member #106371
            February 17, 2011
            9703 Posts
            Posted: June 30, 2011, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

been through this and is such a pisser dooh . it happends a lot when they do their shift change like someone said before. or if they about to close .

they just to <snip> lazy to readjust the list all they write is the last ticket number.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19830 Posts
              Posted: June 30, 2011, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

That's just one of the problems you can have when you wait to closing time to buy tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                California
                United States
                Member #112364
                June 17, 2011
                661 Posts
                Posted: June 30, 2011, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

This happens quite a bit at most large store chains. If it's a mom n pop style place they have different rules.

What was said above is correct.

Just curious, was it nearing closing time when this happened?

No, this is 7-11. Open 24 hours.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  40561 Posts
                  Posted: July 5, 2011, 9:32 am - IP Logged

well ,maybe the forces of life saved you a couple dollars. good luck

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"