Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Automatic Lottery Machines - safe?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
North Carolina
United States
Member #64582
September 1, 2008
347 Posts
Posted: June 26, 2011, 9:06 am - IP Logged

My local grocery store has a lottery machine where I can buy all my lottery tickets for MM and PB, besides any scratch-offs if I want. However, you must scan your driver's license first.

I've always wanted to be anonymous when I claim, but now I'm wondering if they "keep" that driver license information and if it can get out into the public.

I know it's just to approve my age to buy the tickets, but that doesn't mean they don't keep the information for "research" purposes.... which could get out by an unscruplous employee.

What do you all think?

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5603 Posts
    Posted: June 26, 2011, 9:18 am - IP Logged

My local grocery store has a lottery machine where I can buy all my lottery tickets for MM and PB, besides any scratch-offs if I want. However, you must scan your driver's license first.

I've always wanted to be anonymous when I claim, but now I'm wondering if they "keep" that driver license information and if it can get out into the public.

I know it's just to approve my age to buy the tickets, but that doesn't mean they don't keep the information for "research" purposes.... which could get out by an unscruplous employee.

What do you all think?

That's tough to say. I'm not sure how they could tie your info with a winning ticket that the machine spits out, but I suppose it's possible. The machine would have to have some sort of hard drive or memory that's pretty large to hold a lot of personal data.

Maybe you should e-mail your lottery commission about this. See what they come up with for an answer.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Canada
      Member #68663
      December 27, 2008
      260 Posts
      Posted: June 26, 2011, 10:58 am - IP Logged

What do you all think?

The lottery vending machine is connected to the state lottery's central computers via a computer network. That is the only way the machine can sell Powerball or Mega Millions tickets. The ticket information has to be recorded in the central computers before the ticket can be sold and dispensed by the machine.

Most states and countries have privacy laws that dictate what personal information can be stored and for how long. I recommend you phone your state lottery office and ask for an answer in writing. The reason you should ask for the answer in writing is to ensure the person you talk to takes the time to get the correct answer. I find that sometimes phone clerks will simply give you the answer you want to hear or the answer they think is correct to get you off the phone.

My guess is the machine is reading your license number and determining your age and not transmitting the information back to the central computers. Some license numbers encode the year of birth as part of the license number. If would take some effort to have modified the central computer programs that control ticket sales to now include personal information. They probably did not go through the cost of making the modifications. But that is only my guess - I still recommend you call them and ask for an answer in writing.

Let us know what their answer is.

Good luck.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
        Member #52345
        May 21, 2007
        2659 Posts
        Posted: June 26, 2011, 11:49 am - IP Logged

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
          Harbinger
          D.C./MD.
          United States
          Member #44103
          July 30, 2006
          5583 Posts
          Posted: June 26, 2011, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

What do you all think?

We have them in MD. and you can buy any game w/o ID.  I assume they do that in NC for gambling age requirement.

In MD they don't require ID they probably don't care,  it only matters when you cash it.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: June 26, 2011, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

We have them in MD. and you can buy any game w/o ID.  I assume they do that in NC for gambling age requirement.

In MD they don't require ID they probably don't care,  it only matters when you cash it.

"... it only matters when you cash it."

That raises an interesting question too.

I wonder if they're required to keep the ticket if someone underage tries to cash it or just refuse to pay it and give it back.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke