Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Smart, but feeling dumb...Triple Payout (New York Lottery)

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Wooddrive.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #112836
June 26, 2011
1 Posts
Posted: June 26, 2011, 9:29 am - IP Logged

Hi. I haven't played the lottery in 20 years, but I received five New York State Lottery "Triple Payout" cards as a present. (I used to go to the OTB until they closed it. What a shame).

The instructions on the cards are very vague. I even looked at the New York State Lottery website, and there were the same vague instructions for the "Triple Payout". I would go to the local store and ask the owner, but he barely speaks English, and this is the case of most of the merchants in this area. Even if they DO speak English, they speak in such a heavy accent that I can't understand them, and even if a store owner speaks CLEAR English, the ones that I know of are so nasty and rude that they wouldn't even give me the time of day, much less explain the instructions. (This IS New York City, after all).

The problem is that I don't know how many of the "prize" things to scratch. They don't tell you on the card. All that it tells you is "Match any of your numbers to either of the winning numbers, win prize shown. Reveal a 'coin' symbol, win prize shown automatically. Reveal a '3K' symbol, win triple prize shown."

Not very good instructions. I looked on the back; there are no further instructions on the back. 

I don't want to screw it up by scratching too many of the "dollar" symbols.

The darn thing doesn't even tell you how many to scratch!!!!!!

Can somebody help? I am totally ignorant in this scratch-off lottery things.

My question again: How many "dollars" do I scratch off on the New York State Lottery's "Triple Payout" card?

So if you somebody can tell me, a guy who normally doesn't play the lottery, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to scratch off all of the "dollar" sign (prize) symbols and thereby screw up my chances of winning. But the directions are very vague.

I feel like an idiot, but just the same, I want to play it safe.

Thank you!

Glen

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #94283
    July 17, 2010
    2284 Posts
    Posted: June 26, 2011, 9:36 am - IP Logged

You scratch them all.  Big Smile

I do remember some games decades ago, (I don't think it was thru the lottery), that you could only scratch 3 to try to get a match.  But with the lottery these days, you always scratch them all.

Good luck, hope ya win the $30K!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: June 26, 2011, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, scratch em all, Glen.

I think it was one of McDonalds games years ago where you only scratched off so many and if you got the same three symbols, you won that item.

I won one time.

I think it was a McWhopper, a McCoke and a  McOrder of McFries.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23261 Posts
        Posted: June 26, 2011, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Instant ("Scratch-Off") Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

new york
          United States
          Member #63828
          August 9, 2008
          175 Posts
          Posted: June 26, 2011, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

Hi. I haven't played the lottery in 20 years, but I received five New York State Lottery "Triple Payout" cards as a present. (I used to go to the OTB until they closed it. What a shame).

The instructions on the cards are very vague. I even looked at the New York State Lottery website, and there were the same vague instructions for the "Triple Payout". I would go to the local store and ask the owner, but he barely speaks English, and this is the case of most of the merchants in this area. Even if they DO speak English, they speak in such a heavy accent that I can't understand them, and even if a store owner speaks CLEAR English, the ones that I know of are so nasty and rude that they wouldn't even give me the time of day, much less explain the instructions. (This IS New York City, after all).

The problem is that I don't know how many of the "prize" things to scratch. They don't tell you on the card. All that it tells you is "Match any of your numbers to either of the winning numbers, win prize shown. Reveal a 'coin' symbol, win prize shown automatically. Reveal a '3K' symbol, win triple prize shown."

Not very good instructions. I looked on the back; there are no further instructions on the back. 

I don't want to screw it up by scratching too many of the "dollar" symbols.

The darn thing doesn't even tell you how many to scratch!!!!!!

Can somebody help? I am totally ignorant in this scratch-off lottery things.

My question again: How many "dollars" do I scratch off on the New York State Lottery's "Triple Payout" card?

So if you somebody can tell me, a guy who normally doesn't play the lottery, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to scratch off all of the "dollar" sign (prize) symbols and thereby screw up my chances of winning. But the directions are very vague.

I feel like an idiot, but just the same, I want to play it safe.

Thank you!

Glen

I live in NYC and can tell you that most of the store clerks are knowledgeable (and friendly), and those who aren't friendly are that way primarily because of the way customers treat them. I've seen this happen countless times. If one truly cannot understand what a store clerk is trying to say - there are bound to be customers around who may be able to help.

In any case, I hope you've learned how to scratch off those tickets, and hope you've got a big winner!

Wooddrive's avatar - Lottery-046.jpg
            Delco PA
            United States
            Member #80104
            September 16, 2009
            194 Posts
            Posted: July 3, 2011, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

LOL, is this an oxymoron.  I cant understand what the clerks are saying because of heavy accent but i cant understand how to play the scratch off because i dont understand the instructions in english. 

scratch everything and call it a day. good luck