Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch Off vs Online Games

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 5 years ago by redhot7.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
California
United States
Member #112364
June 17, 2011
661 Posts
Posted: June 27, 2011, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Do you think that we have more control of our luck with online games like Mega Millions than sratch off lottery tickets?

With scratch off, your luck depends on the time and location where you buy the tickets. If the guy who buy the jackpot ticket buys the ticket before you, you are out of luck. He got it first. If the jackpot prize is sold in a different location, you are out of luck too and you would have no way to find out which retailer sells the jackpot ticket. With online game, the time and location where you buy the ticket is irrelevant. The only variable that determines your luck is your choice of numbers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: June 27, 2011, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

" The only variable that determines your luck is your choice of numbers."

Actually there is another variable.

Whether you pick your own numbers or get a Quick Pick.

Surrender

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10353 Posts
      Posted: June 27, 2011, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

Do you think that we have more control of our luck with online games like Mega Millions than sratch off lottery tickets?

With scratch off, your luck depends on the time and location where you buy the tickets. If the guy who buy the jackpot ticket buys the ticket before you, you are out of luck. He got it first. If the jackpot prize is sold in a different location, you are out of luck too and you would have no way to find out which retailer sells the jackpot ticket. With online game, the time and location where you buy the ticket is irrelevant. The only variable that determines your luck is your choice of numbers.

Is there any difference betwen someone in front of you buying the winning ticket for a jackpot game, or someone in front of you buying a winning scratcher with a huge prize?

Same thing, no?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

DFW, Texas
        United States
        Member #78628
        August 18, 2009
        134 Posts
        Posted: June 27, 2011, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

I prefer online games.  For me the difference is thus:  If I buy a scratch-off, I scratch it and immediately find out I didn't win, but if I get a ticket for an online game, I don't find out that I didn't win until the drawing.

With my Mega Millions ticket, it takes more time to find out I didn't win, so I have more time to think I might.

California
          United States
          Member #112364
          June 17, 2011
          661 Posts
          Posted: June 27, 2011, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

Is there any difference betwen someone in front of you buying the winning ticket for a jackpot game, or someone in front of you buying a winning scratcher with a huge prize?

Same thing, no?

Sure, there is.

If someone in front of you buying a winning jackpot ticket of an online game, you just have to share the jackpot prize with him.

If someone in front of you buying a winning jackpot ticket of a sratcher game,  you get nothing or get much less depending on the prize of the scratcher ticket you buy after him.

California
            United States
            Member #112364
            June 17, 2011
            661 Posts
            Posted: June 27, 2011, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

Sure, there is.

If someone in front of you buying a winning jackpot ticket of an online game, you just have to share the jackpot prize with him.

If someone in front of you buying a winning jackpot ticket of a sratcher game,  you get nothing or get much less depending on the prize of the scratcher ticket you buy after him.

Correction: "If someone in front of you buying a winning jackpot ticket of an online game and you happen to pick the same number as him, you just have to share the jackpot prize with him."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10353 Posts
              Posted: June 28, 2011, 12:36 am - IP Logged

redhot7,

You kind of anwered your own hypothetical situation. Unless you knosw the person and are playing partners with them why would you think you'd have the same numbers?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

California
                United States
                Member #112364
                June 17, 2011
                661 Posts
                Posted: June 28, 2011, 1:08 am - IP Logged

redhot7,

You kind of anwered your own hypothetical situation. Unless you knosw the person and are playing partners with them why would you think you'd have the same numbers?

I didn't. It is just an extremely remote probability that 2 people who don't know each other pick the same number and win.