Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I have a question about when a group of co-worker hit a jacpot game

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 5 years ago by JusCurious.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #111616
May 29, 2011
3 Posts
Posted: July 26, 2011, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

I have  always wonder  when you have a group of people get a  in pool lets say at work and they hit a jackpot game like powerball and they go cash their ticket in and some want the cash payout and some wants the annual payment does the lottery office  make all of the players pick just one way of paying there winnings  ?

I am under the impression that each individual in the group has a choice to choose the annuity or cash option.  In 2006 a group won a $208,000,000 jackpot and if you look at the Powerball website it states that it was mixed between annuity and cash option.  The is also another group win in 2006 that says mixed.  I do not know if the rules have changed since this time.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: July 27, 2011, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

When a GROUP of players win a jackpot, after taxes, the amount is usually 'low enough' that an annuity does not make a lot of sense (to them), but it depends on the size of the group, any more than about 3-4 people and it's not 'worth it'.

NASHVILLE, TENN
      United States
      Member #33372
      February 20, 2006
      1044 Posts
      Posted: July 27, 2011, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

It's just my humble opinion (though my wording will sound like Dr. Gregory House) but you'd have to be an idiot to take the annual payment option.

One advantage of taking annual payment is you always know there will always be money next year. What if you do stupid things and blow it all of? With one lump sum, you end up with nothing. With annual payment, you will always have money next year.

Not quite true.  Should the insurance company with which your annuity was placed goes bankrupt, you lose all your money.

Illinois lotto was sued because of an insurance company going belly up.  The lotto winner lost all his winnin's.

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        42070 Posts
        Posted: July 27, 2011, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

Not quite true.  Should the insurance company with which your annuity was placed goes bankrupt, you lose all your money.

Illinois lotto was sued because of an insurance company going belly up.  The lotto winner lost all his winnin's.

Good to know Gasmeterguy, Thanks.

HyperBe Happy.

United States
          Member #111186
          May 20, 2011
          344 Posts
          Posted: July 27, 2011, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

Holy ssshhttt, Unbelievable!! Mad I would go off....

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
            North Carolina
            United States
            Member #64582
            September 1, 2008
            347 Posts
            Posted: July 27, 2011, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

With all the State Gov'ts having budget problems.... do you really think they may not "think twice" before letting you get your annual lottery winnings? Maybe they'll move the payment from February to November, so they can get more interest for all the money they spend. And they won't care if you cry because your Porshe's payment is due in March.

NC gov't holds back people's tax returns for months, even though it's illegal, because they need the interest to pay the people who returned their taxes a month before you did!

If we were in a perfect world, I would do annuity. However, we are not, so I would run and get all my money asap!

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

United States
              Member #111616
              May 29, 2011
              3 Posts
              Posted: July 27, 2011, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

Illinois lotto sued because the insureance company going belly up?  The winner lost all of his winnings?

This is a pretty big claim.  I did a search for this and came up with nothing which is strange because I think this would be a fairly big story.  Do you have a link to an arcticle or anything?  I need to see the evidence for this.

karinda's avatar - WINGS
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #108445
                March 25, 2011
                2855 Posts
                Posted: July 28, 2011, 9:23 am - IP Logged

annual payment is the best choice I think the group should  just take a vote and majority would rule

Why do you and others who agree with you think the annual payment is the best choice? I'm interested in knowing because my answer is different depending on which day someone asks me. I honestly don't know. If a winner takes the Cash, it still needs to be put into a "bank". Try going to the bank the next day and asking for a $10,000,000 withdrawal. ;o  If there's a $3000 a day withdrawal limit, it would take 20 years just to get the money out of the bank. lol ;) If a winner takes the annuity, these days one does wonder if they'll ever see it.  It's usually spread out over too many years, imho. Why is it spread out over 26 years? Wasn't 20 years long enough to still give "the house" an advantage!? ;s 

Peace,
                Karinda

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: July 28, 2011, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

Why do you and others who agree with you think the annual payment is the best choice? I'm interested in knowing because my answer is different depending on which day someone asks me. I honestly don't know. If a winner takes the Cash, it still needs to be put into a "bank". Try going to the bank the next day and asking for a $10,000,000 withdrawal. ;o  If there's a $3000 a day withdrawal limit, it would take 20 years just to get the money out of the bank. lol ;) If a winner takes the annuity, these days one does wonder if they'll ever see it.  It's usually spread out over too many years, imho. Why is it spread out over 26 years? Wasn't 20 years long enough to still give "the house" an advantage!? ;s 

Peace,
                  Karinda

The world doesn't trust us with the President we have now. Neither do I. He's too flighty. You can't predict what he'll do next.

Gimme the cash and let me convert it into tangibles before he destroys the dollar too.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #115341
                    August 18, 2011
                    8 Posts
                    Posted: August 18, 2011, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

In Michigan, all players have to agree on the payout choice.  If there is no consensus, they default to a cash payout.