Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you have 5 dollars to spend, is it better to ...

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 6 years ago by jimmy4164.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
California
United States
Member #112364
June 17, 2011
661 Posts
Posted: June 27, 2011, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

pick 5 numbers for one drawing or pick one number and use it for 5 consecutive drawings? Mathematically speaking, which one gives you a better odd of winning? The game is California Fantasy 5. I don't know if that's relevant.

United States
    Member #105312
    January 29, 2011
    435 Posts
    Posted: June 28, 2011, 7:53 am - IP Logged

pick 5 numbers for one drawing or pick one number and use it for 5 consecutive drawings? Mathematically speaking, which one gives you a better odd of winning? The game is California Fantasy 5. I don't know if that's relevant.

Try thinking of it a different way.  If there's a coon going after your chickens and you have a shotgun and a .22 loaded with 5 each .22 short hollow-points is it better to use the shotgun, which might blow a hole in something behind the coon, or gut-shoot him with one round of .22 short hollowpoint knowing he's going to lose interest in the chickens long enough to die, even if it takes a while and he drags himself off where you don't have to deal with the carcass.

I figure math-wise you'd probably be better gut-shooting him, one round, which is to say, buying tickets five days in a row. and letting the picks drag themselves off somewhere else to die.

ValidationAll statements made above are accurate, precise, lucid and sometimes supported by factoids written down somewhere.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #22395
      September 24, 2005
      1583 Posts
      Posted: June 28, 2011, 8:14 am - IP Logged

This was posted a few months before you joined.  You should be able to find your answer here, except you might want to divide by 2  ($10 / 2 = $5).

If you had 10 bucks to bet... (Poll) | Lottery Post:
      http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/229884

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19897 Posts
        Posted: June 30, 2011, 8:05 am - IP Logged

As trucritic said that question has been asked and answered before and it was concluded the odds are the same. Chances are good either way you're going to lose you $5 however spending a dollar per drawing will make it last longer.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #93947
          July 10, 2010
          2180 Posts
          Posted: July 2, 2011, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

The answer to an analogous question was put to rest back in April.

The Probabilities are the SAME!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/229884