Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 6:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Marriage and Lottery Jackpot 2

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 5 years ago by haymaker.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

If you won jackpot, would you Divorce?

Yes-as soon as I can [ 4 ]  [11.43%]
yes- proably [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
no-I hope not [ 7 ]  [20.00%]
no -of course not [ 24 ]  [68.57%]
I would think about it [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 35 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
ttech10's avatar - blobdude
Texas
United States
Member #92330
June 5, 2010
887 Posts
Posted: July 1, 2011, 11:27 am - IP Logged

Might be a good idea to get things "finalized" before filling out those playslips, too.

Yep. I know I've seen at least one story where a guy won but since the divorce wasn't completely finalized the wife/ex-wife got half without any hassle.

Of course, if you have kids and the ex has custody, chances are you will end up having to give a few million to him/her (the ex, not the child... they won't let you simply put a trust in their name for when they're 18).

Basically, from what I've read in articles, being divorced is the main reason to try to claim with as minimal publicity as possible.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: July 1, 2011, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes they stay together: Just so they can make each other miserable! LOL

And some of em like to continue makin' you miserable for years afterward too.

Reminds me of that song:

All my ex's live in Texas

That's why I hang my hat in Tennessee

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3856 Posts
      Posted: July 1, 2011, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

It's at the beginning of Tee Pee Millionaires. It also has the Red Sox tickets for life and the California house raffle.

I love having most of them on my laptop, I can just open the video and scroll through them in a just a few seconds. Really helps when someone brings up a certain one in an article and want a refresher.

ttech 10 yea, i seem to recall the one abt. the game tickets,maybe i need to watch again.

United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3856 Posts
        Posted: July 1, 2011, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

And some of em like to continue makin' you miserable for years afterward too.

Reminds me of that song:

That's why I hang my hat in Tennessee

hows the rest of that ditty go?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: July 1, 2011, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

hows the rest of that ditty go?

And Texas is the place I'd dearly love to be
          But all my ex's live in Texas
          And that's why I hang my hat in Tennessee

Rosanna's down in Texarkana
          Wanted me to push her broom
          Sweet Eileen's in Abilene
          She forgot I hung the moon
          And Allison's in Galveston
          Somehow lost her sanity
          And Dimples who now lives in Temple's
          Got the law looking for me

I remember that old Frio River
          Where I learned to swim
          But it brings to mind another time
          Where I wore my welcome thin
          By transcendental meditation
          I go there each night
          But I always come back to myself
          Long before daylight

Therefore I reside in Tennessee

Some folks think I'm hidin'
          It's been rumored that I died
          But I'm alive and well in Tennessee

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            3856 Posts
            Posted: July 1, 2011, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure there are couples out there who are together now because they couldn't get by living separately, so I could see them parting ways, splitting the money equally, after winning. I thought I had read a story similar to that some time back, but couldn't find it from a quick search.

For me, if I was already married I wouldn't look to get divorced as if I did get married, it would be because we cared about each other and money would have no part of that. I would hope she would feel the same way, though as has been said many times before, money makes people do crazy things.

I love the episode of "Lottery Changed My Life" where the wife is married to a detective and when she confronted him with the winning scratch-off ticket she said that if the money would tear the ticket up right there if he thought it would change them, as they were already doing find and didn't necessarily need the money. I wonder how many other people would have gone nuts that their significant other even thought about tearing up millions.

ttech 10 i recall another LCML,where the couple were in the divorce process and he won big,must have been amicable cause he decided to split it w/ her.she winded up killing 1 friend and crippling another in a car accident after having 1 to many and driving crazy,the odd thing abt. the story is you never heard what became of him.i guess he decided to go low profile which is the way to go.

United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3856 Posts
              Posted: July 1, 2011, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

And that's why I hang my hat in Tennessee

Rosanna's down in Texarkana
              Wanted me to push her broom
              Sweet Eileen's in Abilene
              She forgot I hung the moon
              And Allison's in Galveston
              Somehow lost her sanity
              And Dimples who now lives in Temple's
              Got the law looking for me

I remember that old Frio River
              Where I learned to swim
              But it brings to mind another time
              Where I wore my welcome thin
              By transcendental meditation
              I go there each night
              But I always come back to myself
              Long before daylight

Therefore I reside in Tennessee

Some folks think I'm hidin'
              It's been rumored that I died
              But I'm alive and well in Tennessee

thanks,great tune.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                Member #47420
                November 4, 2006
                3930 Posts
                Posted: July 1, 2011, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

ridge runner can't get another divorce he's met his divorce quota for this life...

Pure luck

Texas
                  United States
                  Member #92330
                  June 5, 2010
                  887 Posts
                  Posted: July 1, 2011, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

ttech 10 i recall another LCML,where the couple were in the divorce process and he won big,must have been amicable cause he decided to split it w/ her.she winded up killing 1 friend and crippling another in a car accident after having 1 to many and driving crazy,the odd thing abt. the story is you never heard what became of him.i guess he decided to go low profile which is the way to go.

Oh yea, is that the "I'm gonna show you what driving crazy is!" one? If it is then when they crashed she fled the scene on foot, and the lawyer mentioned that she was getting a bad rap purely because she was a lottery winner. Uh... no! It's because she killed someone and then tried to flee the scene and hide from police.

I don't see why people would do such a thing in the first place, and especially can't see how you'd do that if you had so much to lose (or even put yourself in a decision to make such a stupid mistake). Anytime I go out expecting to get drunk I take a cab, otherwise I keep it to 3-4 beers, though that would probably change after I won the lottery as to not put myself in a position to lose what I got.

And yea, you know the ex-husband was probably frustrated about what she did because it brought unneeded attention back to him, since I'm sure media wanted to hear what he thought/had to say about it.

United States
                    Member #112968
                    June 29, 2011
                    3856 Posts
                    Posted: July 2, 2011, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

Oh yea, is that the "I'm gonna show you what driving crazy is!" one? If it is then when they crashed she fled the scene on foot, and the lawyer mentioned that she was getting a bad rap purely because she was a lottery winner. Uh... no! It's because she killed someone and then tried to flee the scene and hide from police.

I don't see why people would do such a thing in the first place, and especially can't see how you'd do that if you had so much to lose (or even put yourself in a decision to make such a stupid mistake). Anytime I go out expecting to get drunk I take a cab, otherwise I keep it to 3-4 beers, though that would probably change after I won the lottery as to not put myself in a position to lose what I got.

And yea, you know the ex-husband was probably frustrated about what she did because it brought unneeded attention back to him, since I'm sure media wanted to hear what he thought/had to say about it.

ttech 10,yea thats the one i'm thinking of.also why drive when you're a lottery millionaire ? buy yourself a lincoln town car and hire a driver then you don't have to count your beers.

Texas
                      United States
                      Member #92330
                      June 5, 2010
                      887 Posts
                      Posted: July 2, 2011, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

ttech 10,yea thats the one i'm thinking of.also why drive when you're a lottery millionaire ? buy yourself a lincoln town car and hire a driver then you don't have to count your beers.

That's why I would (and do) definitely do a cab in those scenarios, I'd keep doing that as there's not really any high class car services around here, plus it might give away to others that I have quite a bit of spending money. For every other time, it wouldn't feel right being driven around, I love driving way too much. I couldn't imagine being like those people who get driven around in Bentley's/Rolls-Royce's all the time. I'd be in a Shelby Mustang, M5 or F150 SVT Raptor in a heartbeat, driving my own self around and having a fun time.

United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3856 Posts
                        Posted: July 2, 2011, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

That's why I would (and do) definitely do a cab in those scenarios, I'd keep doing that as there's not really any high class car services around here, plus it might give away to others that I have quite a bit of spending money. For every other time, it wouldn't feel right being driven around, I love driving way too much. I couldn't imagine being like those people who get driven around in Bentley's/Rolls-Royce's all the time. I'd be in a Shelby Mustang, M5 or F150 SVT Raptor in a heartbeat, driving my own self around and having a fun time.

ttech 10 yea agree about trying to keep a low profile,maybe buy a used lincoln and always sit shotgun when you're being driven around and tell people he's my boss and insists on driving(OK BOSS) LOL you're the real boss. i'm a car guy too and and one of my first buys would be late 60s early 70s big block chevelle,i don't think that would stick out in my area,i like driving any cool car,but not when drinking,cool cars get stopped more often.

United States
                          Member #112968
                          June 29, 2011
                          3856 Posts
                          Posted: July 2, 2011, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

sorry was at work 1st time i ans. last para.i still never heard anything about the husband,and nothing on LCML.so this guy is very good at keeping a low profile,but i do wonder if he feels bad for sharing the $ w/ her.

rukiafae's avatar - box
                            NC
                            United States
                            Member #100192
                            November 7, 2010
                            125 Posts
                            Posted: July 3, 2011, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

i adore my hubby so no!

weve been through far too much (most recently a stroke that has rendered him paralyzed on his right side) for me to leave him! talk about BAD KARMA!

were each others best friends, are together 24/7 and most days...still actually LIKE being together.

except when hes being a cranky old bear. then i send him to bed. LMAO

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
                              Kunming
                              China
                              Member #57910
                              January 23, 2008
                              3626 Posts
                              Posted: July 3, 2011, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

My wife's been there through thick and thin. Wouldn't even dream of not sharing the Jackpot with her, let alone divorcing her. Like the famous line from the movie goes: " Success is NOTHING, without someone you love to share it with." - Billy D. Williams. A line from the movie: "Mahogany".

Play to win!