Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

lottery machines going down during a storm?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 5 years ago by nsv314.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
kyokushin187's avatar - evildead2
cornwall,ct
United States
Member #102636
December 23, 2010
245 Posts
Posted: July 8, 2011, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

I have. Noticed here in my state on numerous occasions our lottery machines are down during a storm.is this just a coiencidence or does the lottery commission do this so that they can keep track of what numbers are played)quick picks or player picks?.I went to three diff stores in diff towns and all were down.kinda fishy to me.has anyone else noticed this?

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3300 Posts
    Posted: July 8, 2011, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

i cant comment on the events in your area. but just suggest getting in a day early if you play regular numbers. i cant believe things can get so bad they have troulbe taking lotto money.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8359 Posts
      Posted: July 8, 2011, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

I have. Noticed here in my state on numerous occasions our lottery machines are down during a storm.is this just a coiencidence or does the lottery commission do this so that they can keep track of what numbers are played)quick picks or player picks?.I went to three diff stores in diff towns and all were down.kinda fishy to me.has anyone else noticed this?

so you think the lottery is corrupt..... oh yea they cant wait for a storm to brew so they can cheat people.

Their systems can go down just like the power lines, phone lines and satellite connections in your area do. Unless it's a major outage they are usually back on line in short order.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
        Winning makes me smile.
        bel air maryland
        United States
        Member #90251
        April 24, 2010
        4850 Posts
        Posted: July 8, 2011, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

They went down here  just this afternoon due a bad storm. Went to 2 store 3/4 mile apart. Went  back 2 hrs. later all was fine.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

United States
          Member #61232
          May 16, 2008
          126 Posts
          Posted: July 8, 2011, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

"is this just a coiencidence or does the lottery commission do this so that they can keep track of what numbers are played)quick picks or player picks?"

They don't need to take the system down to do this...  they know what numbers are played before the ticket even prints. 

I use to buy tickets in Maryland and always had this problem during storms.  One of the clerks told me once that the machines are on a satailite system and it frequently goes down during storms.  A buddy of mine has Direct TV and and he has the same problem.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
            Member #47420
            November 4, 2006
            3930 Posts
            Posted: July 8, 2011, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

The lottery does NOT have to cheat you to beat you out of your money..They have the best odds of all gambling games around..If you don't trust them simple...DO NOT PLAY...

Pure luck

United States
              Member #75358
              June 1, 2009
              5345 Posts
              Posted: July 8, 2011, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

IGlenn is correct. It works with satellites, and yes I do have Direct TV which also goes down in a heavy storm. Here in Florida, especially in the summer, If I wait too late in the afternoon to go to the store and purchase my tickets, the machine won't read the betslips. I also have the same problem with the credit card machine in my work van. In a heavy storm I have to write all the Credit card info on a special form and enter the info later when the weather clears up.

They don't need a storm to track any info. They have that ability at anytime...

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                Texas
                United States
                Member #92330
                June 5, 2010
                887 Posts
                Posted: July 11, 2011, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

Thought of this thread today. I stopped by two different places on the way back from running errands and both stores I stopped at had their lottery terminals down, I asked the clerk at the second store if she knew what the issue was but she just said they were down (she looked a bit annoyed so I assumed they had been down for some time). Our weather wasn't bad today though, so not sure what the deal was.

Then just a little bit ago I stopped by the store around the block to grab a soda and they were doing renovations inside, and because of that they had no machines (really almost nothing else except for what was in the coolers with sodas/powerade/beer/milk/etc), so I was foiled yet again in buying today.

I just took it as a sign that I was supposed to buy them tomorrow like I usually would.

Litebets27's avatar - power
                  Maryland
                  United States
                  Member #10465
                  January 14, 2005
                  6065 Posts
                  Posted: July 11, 2011, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

iGlenn is correct. Maryland's system receives it's transmission via satellite. You can always tell when a storm is nearing your area when you spend a little time in a store playing. The Keno and Ractrax screens disrupt and freeze.

Although, I have walked into a 7-11 in the afternoon to play at a busy time, during good weather, and found a sign on their machine, stating the system is down. Just to find out the clerks are so overwhelmed at that time that they just don't want to bother with Lottery, so they will put a sign up.

If your a regular, the clerk usually tells you to wait a minute, "I'll work on it in a minute."

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

United States
                    Member #111545
                    May 28, 2011
                    21 Posts
                    Posted: July 13, 2011, 9:27 am - IP Logged

There has been a few times when Lottery Machines were down from weather here in Ohio. everynow and then the Machines go down anyway. When one goes they all go.

Mr-Smith's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                      rekjavik
                      Iceland
                      Member #99537
                      October 27, 2010
                      177 Posts
                      Posted: July 15, 2011, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

Just a little inside info...

I use to own a shop and sold lotto tickets...

the system is Hooked up to Phone lines to transfer the info from the lotto terminal to the Main system.

So just like your home phone, cable, internet, can go down in a storm the lotto system is not imune to the force of nature.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                        The Ville, FL
                        United States
                        Member #95879
                        August 19, 2010
                        1708 Posts
                        Posted: July 15, 2011, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

All said above is true. There is a gas station that a frequent right by my work that goes down EVERY time it rains it seems. I know to avoid that station if its even a light drizzle like yesterday. They don't have to shut the systems down to cheat you. They make enough money due to the odds, they are doing pretty well on the profits

Nothing fishy about it

karinda's avatar - WINGS
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #108445
                          March 25, 2011
                          2855 Posts
                          Posted: July 18, 2011, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion, any state would want their machines up and running during the designated hours to sell tickets. If the machines are down the retailers and the states lose revenue.  I think in New Jersey the lottery machines are shut down from midnight to 5:00am at 24 hour convenient stores. That's only 5 hours that they can't cash or sell tickets. (Instants can be purchased 24 hours a day out of a machine, but I'm not sure about over the counter. They can't be cashed during the down hours though.

Probably the only reason they shut the machines down in New Jersey is because they have to!  Otherwise they'd probably be selling tickets 24/7.  Big Smile Does anyone know if the lottery machines go down for a set number of hours in NY and what they are?  I would think in NYC they would never shut off the machines, unless they had to!

Best of luck to you!

Karinda

Mr-Smith's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                            rekjavik
                            Iceland
                            Member #99537
                            October 27, 2010
                            177 Posts
                            Posted: July 19, 2011, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion, any state would want their machines up and running during the designated hours to sell tickets. If the machines are down the retailers and the states lose revenue.  I think in New Jersey the lottery machines are shut down from midnight to 5:00am at 24 hour convenient stores. That's only 5 hours that they can't cash or sell tickets. (Instants can be purchased 24 hours a day out of a machine, but I'm not sure about over the counter. They can't be cashed during the down hours though.

Probably the only reason they shut the machines down in New Jersey is because they have to!  Otherwise they'd probably be selling tickets 24/7.  Big Smile Does anyone know if the lottery machines go down for a set number of hours in NY and what they are?  I would think in NYC they would never shut off the machines, unless they had to!

Best of luck to you!

Karinda

The machines shut down for software updates and Accounting Process. Updates depend on the the time it takes to transfer the data...

Baton Rouge, LA
                              United States
                              Member #4602
                              May 7, 2004
                              699 Posts
                              Posted: July 30, 2011, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

I've had that happen to me twice in the last week.  Last Sunday, there was rain in my area and I was able to purchase tickets, but when the clerk went to cash one for me, the machine went down.  He said it was because they use satellite and that goes down during storms.  That happened to me on Friday when I went to buy tickets for my office lottery pool.  I went to two places on my lunch break and both told me the same thing; that the satellite was down and they couldn't sell me tickets.  The weather cleared and I was able to get the tickets later, but it was still inconvenient.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"