Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 4:32 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch ticket dust

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 5 years ago by TheOtherOne.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: July 13, 2011, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

Anyone else: does scratch ticket dust make you sneeze?

It could be a flareup from allergy season, but seems like I tend to sneeze more when scratching a ticket. That dang stuff gets all over your fingers, so I'm more careful now not to blow the stuff around too much and wash my hands thoroughly after scratching.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
    California
    United States
    Member #112364
    June 17, 2011
    661 Posts
    Posted: July 14, 2011, 2:15 am - IP Logged

Not sneezing but I hate it when the dust makes your ticket dirty.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
      The Ville, FL
      United States
      Member #95879
      August 19, 2010
      1708 Posts
      Posted: July 15, 2011, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

It could be a flareup from allergy season, but seems like I tend to sneeze more when scratching a ticket. That dang stuff gets all over your fingers, so I'm more careful now not to blow the stuff around too much and wash my hands thoroughly after scratching.

HA HA

I usually scratch the # areas only (vs the entire ticket), and then dump the "dust" in the sink or in the trash.

The scratchers here in FL dont seem to be too dusty

United States
        Member #111186
        May 20, 2011
        344 Posts
        Posted: July 16, 2011, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

Nope, no sneezing here.

But depending on how many I'm scratching, my fingers turn a little silvery & it can get under my nails...lol...

I have a small wastebasket that I scratch over & then wipe the dust right in.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #74096
          May 2, 2009
          23238 Posts
          Posted: July 17, 2011, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

No, doesn't make me sneeze but it can be a mess. Some of the tickets seem to make more snibbles than mark up fingers and hands...I'd rather deal

with the snibbles..you just don't move the ticket until you're ready to turn it over into a trash can.

Just a thought...maybe you are allergic to the stuff. Confused You don't notice any other symptoms, do you?

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
            Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103813
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: July 17, 2011, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

No, doesn't make me sneeze but it can be a mess. Some of the tickets seem to make more snibbles than mark up fingers and hands...I'd rather deal

with the snibbles..you just don't move the ticket until you're ready to turn it over into a trash can.

Just a thought...maybe you are allergic to the stuff. Confused You don't notice any other symptoms, do you?

I do already have regular spring hay fever pollen allergies, so I figure this stuff is just another irritant. I just need to be more careful.

But I wonder if years later down the line they'll find out this stuff is carcinogenic like asbestos. This scratch coating was created by some chemical company for security and obfuscation of the scratch card results, so I woudn't be surprised if human health was not their top design priority.

Oh well, I ain't gonna stop playing scratchers or eating barbecued red meat just yet. One's gotta live a little.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #74096
              May 2, 2009
              23238 Posts
              Posted: July 18, 2011, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Living a little always suited me. BananaBananaGood luck today!!

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                42115 Posts
                Posted: July 21, 2011, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

Is that stuff made of latex? you may very well have allergies.

HyperBe Happy.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6305 Posts
                  Posted: July 23, 2011, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

no sneezing for me, just messy as heck.....

ILLotteryman's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
                    Chicago, IL
                    United States
                    Member #114234
                    July 26, 2011
                    429 Posts
                    Posted: July 26, 2011, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

I know that stuff gets all over my tiles and takes forever to clean up. I read or heard somewhere that the residue from the scratchoffs can possible somehow cause cancer. Has anyone else heard this? I would hope not. Why would they be allowed to use whatever they are using in the scratch offs if it did cause cancer?

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
                      Nashville, TN
                      United States
                      Member #86739
                      February 9, 2010
                      483 Posts
                      Posted: July 29, 2011, 1:04 am - IP Logged

I do already have regular spring hay fever pollen allergies, so I figure this stuff is just another irritant. I just need to be more careful.

But I wonder if years later down the line they'll find out this stuff is carcinogenic like asbestos. This scratch coating was created by some chemical company for security and obfuscation of the scratch card results, so I woudn't be surprised if human health was not their top design priority.

Oh well, I ain't gonna stop playing scratchers or eating barbecued red meat just yet. One's gotta live a little.

I have often pondered the same...what if we are breathing/exposed to this stuff and it is hazardous?

as for it causing cancer (possibly)...well, doesn't EVERYTHING cause cancer :)

I figure of all the vices, it could be much worse.

When scratching I try to keep the dust on a magazine or surface where it can be brushed off, preferably NOT in my car and outside.

The silvery/black dust is bad enough but TN's "Lady Jumbo Bucks" with it's HOT PINK ink is even more annoying to me.

And if you have a few scratchers in your pocket and you woman washes & dries them? Yeah, have fun cleaning that out of the dryer. Heat and scratch-off dust do not mix, let me assure you.