Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When a new scratch off game comes out, ...

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 5 years ago by OldSchoolHits.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
California
United States
Member #112364
June 17, 2011
661 Posts
Posted: August 3, 2011, 12:46 am - IP Logged

should I wait for a while or should I buy immediately?

mt zion illinois
    United States
    Member #110549
    May 6, 2011
    351 Posts
    Posted: August 3, 2011, 7:29 am - IP Logged

I usally buy them a couple days after I seen they have been released.....

Biggest lottery wins for 2013 $100 1 Time.......

United States
      Member #72805
      March 27, 2009
      24 Posts
      Posted: August 4, 2011, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

Personally, I buy one of each to have in my collection of collecting scratch-offs. If it's a ticket $10 or higher, I usually wait 'til I have money to try it (sometimes, I'll try a $10 off tha bat, though).

ILLotteryman's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
        Chicago, IL
        United States
        Member #114234
        July 26, 2011
        429 Posts
        Posted: August 15, 2011, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

You should buy it right away. In Illinois you can check the amount of prizes left under the instant games page on their website and that's what I go by. I try not to buy any games where most of the prizes have been depleted. You have to try and be a smart consumer. Since the instant game is not a skill game and game of chance going by that list is your best chance to win, especially if you are trying for the bigger jackpots...

ILLotteryMan Signing Out

Major IL Lottery Winnings: 06/29/11 (784), 08/07/11 (678), 08/15/11 (056), 08/16/11 (759 Midday + 579 Evening), 08/22/11 (101), 08/26/11 (668), Instants: $50 Wheel of Fortune!

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
          Florida
          United States
          Member #104435
          January 14, 2011
          2244 Posts
          Posted: August 16, 2011, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

In florida there is always a winner the first week or 2, but i find the first batch of rolls are always super cold in my area, because they know everyone will be playing those games heavy from the start....

2014 Highest Winner: $500

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
            The Ville, FL
            United States
            Member #95879
            August 19, 2010
            1708 Posts
            Posted: August 16, 2011, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

In florida there is always a winner the first week or 2, but i find the first batch of rolls are always super cold in my area, because they know everyone will be playing those games heavy from the start....

I agree, however FL likes to throw a new scratcher out there that doesnt produce a winner right off the bat.
            I have a sneaky suspicion that is what's going to happen with the new $5 scratcher "Money Maker". I could be wrong, but I have a feeling we wont see a Top Prize winner on that for a while

frontenac, kansas
              United States
              Member #67724
              December 3, 2008
              199 Posts
              Posted: August 16, 2011, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

I agree, however FL likes to throw a new scratcher out there that doesnt produce a winner right off the bat.
              I have a sneaky suspicion that is what's going to happen with the new $5 scratcher "Money Maker". I could be wrong, but I have a feeling we wont see a Top Prize winner on that for a while

If what you are saying is true then that means they (Florida Lottery ) know where the winners are and can control it to a certain degree.  I find that hard to believe.  I thought all lotteries are on the up and up.  Can someone explain this to me how they can do it.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                The Ville, FL
                United States
                Member #95879
                August 19, 2010
                1708 Posts
                Posted: August 16, 2011, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

If what you are saying is true then that means they (Florida Lottery ) know where the winners are and can control it to a certain degree.  I find that hard to believe.  I thought all lotteries are on the up and up.  Can someone explain this to me how they can do it.

All lotteries claim to be random, but as players we just have to hope thats the case.
                What makes me suspicious of this, is when I emailed the FL lottery about a Top prize that was showing as one less than the previous day. I emailed them and asked "I see a Top Prize was claimed on this $20 game, can you tell me where it was claimed/bought at i.e. city/retailer name etc?"

The FL Lottery's response was something along the lines of: "well, even though it shows as claimed, it doesn't actually mean the winner has actually claimed the ticket yet, it just means it was purchased"

If that is the case, then the FL lottery should know where a Top Prize is once the book of tickets are activated at the retailers terminal right? This leads me to believe that once a book is activated, the FL Lottery knows where that Top prize is.

Since that email, it has really made me think about it. If they can tell when a ticket was bought before it is even claimed, then why wouldn't they be able to scan the book at the distributers warehouse and see the same thing (winners in a book) before its sent out??

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
                  Florida
                  United States
                  Member #104435
                  January 14, 2011
                  2244 Posts
                  Posted: August 17, 2011, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

All lotteries claim to be random, but as players we just have to hope thats the case.
                  What makes me suspicious of this, is when I emailed the FL lottery about a Top prize that was showing as one less than the previous day. I emailed them and asked "I see a Top Prize was claimed on this $20 game, can you tell me where it was claimed/bought at i.e. city/retailer name etc?"

The FL Lottery's response was something along the lines of: "well, even though it shows as claimed, it doesn't actually mean the winner has actually claimed the ticket yet, it just means it was purchased"

If that is the case, then the FL lottery should know where a Top Prize is once the book of tickets are activated at the retailers terminal right? This leads me to believe that once a book is activated, the FL Lottery knows where that Top prize is.

Since that email, it has really made me think about it. If they can tell when a ticket was bought before it is even claimed, then why wouldn't they be able to scan the book at the distributers warehouse and see the same thing (winners in a book) before its sent out??

they probably could. they cant send too many losers or too many winners to the same locations that would arise suspiscion. so they mix it up themselves and send out 'hot' rolls over times to some areas, so everyone has a chance. if lottery was random then technically 1 roll can contain 5 $1 million winners ...

2014 Highest Winner: $500

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #99032
                    October 18, 2010
                    1439 Posts
                    Posted: August 17, 2011, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

they probably could. they cant send too many losers or too many winners to the same locations that would arise suspiscion. so they mix it up themselves and send out 'hot' rolls over times to some areas, so everyone has a chance. if lottery was random then technically 1 roll can contain 5 $1 million winners ...

Tecnhically it could, but the odds of it happening are pretty low.....

I mean if the odds are similar to a Pick 5 game of winning the top tier prizes, it's the equivalent of buying a Pick 5 a day for 150 days, and winning 5 times.

And I don't think that's ever happened...

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #99032
                      October 18, 2010
                      1439 Posts
                      Posted: August 17, 2011, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

I'd hope that the way they can tell is b/c the retailer scans out the roll at the end of it, and then that sends the Lottery that info, so that they can update their site, and let people know a winner was bought if it's not claimed.

At least in NJ, the person at the store handed me the last scratch off and asked me to hand it back for a second, scanned it, a little thing printed, and he was like OK here- and I've seen them do it many times.  They're supposed to scan out the roll.

Miami, Florida
                        United States
                        Member #111795
                        June 2, 2011
                        581 Posts
                        Posted: August 17, 2011, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

I'd hope that the way they can tell is b/c the retailer scans out the roll at the end of it, and then that sends the Lottery that info, so that they can update their site, and let people know a winner was bought if it's not claimed.

At least in NJ, the person at the store handed me the last scratch off and asked me to hand it back for a second, scanned it, a little thing printed, and he was like OK here- and I've seen them do it many times.  They're supposed to scan out the roll.

My buddy told me (this is in Florida) that a Lottery District Manager told him once that there are "40 more Billion Dollar Blockbuster Grand Prize Winners locked in a vault, ready for distribution."  I don't know how valid that is, but it caught my ear....I'm sure that there's no strategic placement of them, for instance I don't think they have pre-determined stores or geographical areas for them--- but I'm absolutely positive that they know when a grand prize winner is issued, and which book it goes into, and which lottery rep is transporting it, and when it's delivered to the retailer, etc.... there's no way that they don't know where a million dollars--or ten million-- is going.