Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

WHY Are They Starting Another Draw Game? WHY??

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 5 years ago by sully16.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
Idaho
United States
Member #94283
July 17, 2010
2284 Posts
Posted: August 13, 2011, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

Idaho just started a daily draw that costs $2 maybe a year ago.  The JP goes up $100 a day, on a good day.  That doesn't seem like a real big success to me.

So now I see they're starting another draw game that also costs $2.  It only draws twice a week and has a fixed JP of $52K, taxes paid by the lottery. 

As far as I've seen, they haven't announced they're ending the daily draw game.

How the heck do they think they're going to support a second $2 game?  It seems like they're spreading the players lottery dollars awfully thin.   And why have the draws on the same nights as Powerball?  Why not draw on nights when PB or MM don't have a drawing?

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
    Kunming
    China
    Member #57910
    January 23, 2008
    3626 Posts
    Posted: August 13, 2011, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

Idaho just started a daily draw that costs $2 maybe a year ago.  The JP goes up $100 a day, on a good day.  That doesn't seem like a real big success to me.

So now I see they're starting another draw game that also costs $2.  It only draws twice a week and has a fixed JP of $52K, taxes paid by the lottery. 

How the heck do they think they're going to support a second $2 game?  It seems like they're spreading the players lottery dollars awfully thin.   And why have the draws on the same nights as Powerball?  Why not draw on nights when PB or MM don't have a drawing?

What do you mean? You mean a pick-3 game? Only $100? Is that a typo?

Play to win!

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #99032
      October 18, 2010
      1439 Posts
      Posted: August 13, 2011, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

What do you mean? You mean a pick-3 game? Only $100? Is that a typo?

For some reason LP keeps eating up my posts.

I checked it out, he wasn't kidding.  The JP grows by like 100 bucks a day.  Mostly because it's a bad bet, IMO.  The non-progressive JP should be way higher, I haven't even done any sort of analysis, and I can tell its a ripoff type of deal, either that, or it's just not enticing, b/c the non progressive JP stays at 20,000.  If the odds are suck that it pays back higher than 50%, the Lottery should consider removing the 2/5 prize and raising the non-progressive JP or make it multiple (like 4) draws for the non-progressive, at the expense of all other prizes.

But government entities generally aren't creative.

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7298 Posts
        Posted: August 14, 2011, 12:45 am - IP Logged

For some reason LP keeps eating up my posts.

I checked it out, he wasn't kidding.  The JP grows by like 100 bucks a day.  Mostly because it's a bad bet, IMO.  The non-progressive JP should be way higher, I haven't even done any sort of analysis, and I can tell its a ripoff type of deal, either that, or it's just not enticing, b/c the non progressive JP stays at 20,000.  If the odds are suck that it pays back higher than 50%, the Lottery should consider removing the 2/5 prize and raising the non-progressive JP or make it multiple (like 4) draws for the non-progressive, at the expense of all other prizes.

But government entities generally aren't creative.

The way I read it, the jackpot is $77,000 or the equivalent of $52,000 ($1000 a week for a year) after taxes. The $100 prize is a second chance drawing were the winner gets $100 a week for a year. I was scratching my head when I read the secondary prize payouts; you get a free ticket for matching 2 numbers, $25 for 3 and $200 for matching 4. Most $1 5/39 games pay $10 for matching 3 numbers and at least $200 for matching 4. This $2 game pays 2 1/2 times more for matching 3 numbers but pays the same or less than the $1 games pay for matching 4 numbers.

"But government entities generally aren't creative."

With all the different types of lottery games to choose from, the Idaho Lottery picks this.

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49674 Posts
          Posted: August 14, 2011, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Have You asked the Idaho Lottery Commission? Why Not??? Why??? Why??? Why???

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
            Dallas, TX
            United States
            Member #60284
            April 12, 2008
            3856 Posts
            Posted: August 14, 2011, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

They are two different games.

Double Play is daily, jackpot starts at 20K and grow daily. Cost $2.

Weekly Grand is on Weds and Sat, jackpot is $1,000/wk for one year. Cost $2.

Just more variety for players. I see nothing strange about having two $2 dollars games. heh

Weds and Sat people tends to spend more $ even on the same night as the big giants games like PowerBall.
            With the PB having low jackpot prize many don't want to play it as they have a set jackpot amount in mind before spending $ on the game. So, this freed up their cash to play games like Weekly Grand or Double Play.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7298 Posts
              Posted: August 14, 2011, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

Weekly Grand pays $25 for matching 3 numbers but only $200 for matching 4.

Kentucky has a $1 or 50 cent daily game (except on Sunday) called Cash Ball where the secondary prizes compared to the odds seem out of whack too. It's a four ball game with 31 numbers plus 33 bonus numbers. The odds of matching 2 numbers plus the bonus number are 521 to 1 and the payoff is $26 and the odds of matching just 3 numbers are are lower at 365 to 1, but the payoff is $100.

It's strange that Idaho would offer another $2 game with a relatively low jackpot ($52,000) when it has PB and other states with $2 games have much higher jackpot payoffs. For instance the $2 Decades of Dollars game has $250,000 per year for 30 years or a lump sum jackpot of $4 million. When PB raises their tickets to $2, matching 5 numbers will pay $1 million.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: August 15, 2011, 1:57 am - IP Logged

LOL

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  40346 Posts
                  Posted: August 15, 2011, 11:19 am - IP Logged

Green laughGreen laugh

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"