Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Those of you who keep track of your scratch off spending, ...

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 5 years ago by redhot7.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Those of you who keep track of your scratch off spending, how many percent do you get your moneyback

less than 50% [ 4 ]  [57.14%]
between 50% to 60% [ 1 ]  [14.29%]
between 60% to 70% [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
between 70% to 80% [ 2 ]  [28.57%]
between 80% to 90% [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
between 90% to 100% [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
more than 100% (make profit) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 7 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
California
United States
Member #112364
June 17, 2011
661 Posts
Posted: August 18, 2011, 4:17 am - IP Logged

Mine is around 72% and I bought like 275 tickets. Please include only scratch off and not lotto like Mega Millions.

SE PA
    United States
    Member #93582
    July 3, 2010
    1866 Posts
    Posted: August 18, 2011, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

Probably less than 50%, because the good days seem to be followed by numerous mediocre and bad days.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
      Florida
      United States
      Member #104435
      January 14, 2011
      2244 Posts
      Posted: August 18, 2011, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Look at it this way, you aint gonna win in the long term unless you hit a big prize

2014 Highest Winner: $500

California
        United States
        Member #112364
        June 17, 2011
        661 Posts
        Posted: August 18, 2011, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

Look at it this way, you aint gonna win in the long term unless you hit a big prize

True. I am already 300 dollars in the hole Unhappy

Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #109275
          April 9, 2011
          1495 Posts
          Posted: August 18, 2011, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

Consider yourself lucky then. That is a days worth for some people around here and easily a week or two for others. If you are only down $300 from the beginning, then in my opinion, you are ahead.lol

mt zion illinois
            United States
            Member #110549
            May 6, 2011
            351 Posts
            Posted: August 19, 2011, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Here in Illinois lately very rare if you have a up day....

Biggest lottery wins for 2013 $100 1 Time.......

ILLotteryman's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
              Chicago, IL
              United States
              Member #114234
              July 26, 2011
              429 Posts
              Posted: August 19, 2011, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

Yes, the win percentage is definately low in Illinois. I would say from what I have been seeing mine is between 35-40% estimated of course.

Cool dude, just check out the facebook comment from the Wheel of Fortune winners, a player writes that she's glad someone won the contest because she never won any money by scratching the WOF tickets! :)

ILLotteryMan Signing Out

Major IL Lottery Winnings: 06/29/11 (784), 08/07/11 (678), 08/15/11 (056), 08/16/11 (759 Midday + 579 Evening), 08/22/11 (101), 08/26/11 (668), Instants: $50 Wheel of Fortune!

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #103813
                January 5, 2011
                1530 Posts
                Posted: August 23, 2011, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

Mine is around 72% and I bought like 275 tickets. Please include only scratch off and not lotto like Mega Millions.

I got about the same, >1000 tickets, must be a California thing. But our scratch games seem to be structured differently than the lotteries on the East coast.

California
                  United States
                  Member #112364
                  June 17, 2011
                  661 Posts
                  Posted: August 24, 2011, 7:08 am - IP Logged

I got about the same, >1000 tickets, must be a California thing. But our scratch games seem to be structured differently than the lotteries on the East coast.

How is it structured differently?

Cupcake10's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
                    Member #91718
                    May 23, 2010
                    690 Posts
                    Posted: August 24, 2011, 11:22 am - IP Logged

Is someone really winning? I was thinking it was a joke. I was under the impression no one wins a penny in the long run.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                      Los Angeles, California
                      United States
                      Member #103813
                      January 5, 2011
                      1530 Posts
                      Posted: August 24, 2011, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

How is it structured differently?

Several things are different about CA Scratchers versus some of the more mature lotteries on the eastern half of the US:

1. Higher ticket prices, with big $10 and $20 scratch tickets. We don't have those, ours topping out at $5 tickets.

Those higher prices can provide more revenue per customer, as like with potato chips, its very hard to have just one. Say you buy four $5 tickets at a time now, but if there were $20 tickets, you might be tempted to spend more than your usual amount so you don't walk away a loser most of the time. Sure, they have better overall odds, but those big multi-million dollar prizes come at a cost.

2. Many more different scratch games in circulation, some with fewer top prizes. We have fewer games, but most with around 20 or more top prizes.

Some of those games in other states have only a few top prizes, like just 3 or 5, so it makes it harder to tell when is a good time to play the game or not based on top prizes outstanding. And yes, we in CA play a lot fewer scratchers per capita than other states, but still the variety and release schedule of new games in other states seems to be much greater than ours.

3. Seems to be more variability in the placement and interval of big winners in ticket rolls.

It would be more addictive to have more variability such as longer strings of losers and big winners in strange intervals and placement in the rolls. I don't know if they are doing this, but from other people's experiences in the forums, it seems likely. The lottieries on the east coast are more mature, and I'm sure have figured out how to maximize profits and milk the most from the players. Our CA lotto hasn't quite caught up yet. Maybe they shouldn't?

The closest we have to other states is our $5 Set for Life scratcher, which has a big $2,000,000 top prize, but terrible payouts for the lower prizes, so as a game, you are likely to be well below 50% return unless you hit the big one. Much better games to play for low and mid level prizes are Red Hot 7s and Wild 10s.

California
                        United States
                        Member #112364
                        June 17, 2011
                        661 Posts
                        Posted: August 24, 2011, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

Several things are different about CA Scratchers versus some of the more mature lotteries on the eastern half of the US:

1. Higher ticket prices, with big $10 and $20 scratch tickets. We don't have those, ours topping out at $5 tickets.

Those higher prices can provide more revenue per customer, as like with potato chips, its very hard to have just one. Say you buy four $5 tickets at a time now, but if there were $20 tickets, you might be tempted to spend more than your usual amount so you don't walk away a loser most of the time. Sure, they have better overall odds, but those big multi-million dollar prizes come at a cost.

2. Many more different scratch games in circulation, some with fewer top prizes. We have fewer games, but most with around 20 or more top prizes.

Some of those games in other states have only a few top prizes, like just 3 or 5, so it makes it harder to tell when is a good time to play the game or not based on top prizes outstanding. And yes, we in CA play a lot fewer scratchers per capita than other states, but still the variety and release schedule of new games in other states seems to be much greater than ours.

3. Seems to be more variability in the placement and interval of big winners in ticket rolls.

It would be more addictive to have more variability such as longer strings of losers and big winners in strange intervals and placement in the rolls. I don't know if they are doing this, but from other people's experiences in the forums, it seems likely. The lottieries on the east coast are more mature, and I'm sure have figured out how to maximize profits and milk the most from the players. Our CA lotto hasn't quite caught up yet. Maybe they shouldn't?

The closest we have to other states is our $5 Set for Life scratcher, which has a big $2,000,000 top prize, but terrible payouts for the lower prizes, so as a game, you are likely to be well below 50% return unless you hit the big one. Much better games to play for low and mid level prizes are Red Hot 7s and Wild 10s.

I couldn't agree more with Set for Life. I don't play them anymore since I never hit anything decent. 10 bucks at most.

Here's the table of odds for Set for Life

Set for Life Odds

Now compare that with odds for Wild 10 or Take 5. The following is for Wild 10 but Take 5 has a nearly identical odds

Wild 10 Odds

The probability of winning a decent amount like $50 bucks from Wild 10 is 1 in 185 but the probability of winning $40 from Set for Life is 1 in 500. What even worse, the probability of winning $100 from Wild 10 is 1 in 341 but the probability of winning the same amount from Set for Life is 1 in 932! You got much more chance to win $100 from Wild 10 than to win $40 from Set for Life and both tickets cost the same.