Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

is bet slip printing with the help of computer software programs illegal?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #102975
December 29, 2010
25 Posts
Posted: August 19, 2011, 5:20 am - IP Logged

Does it vary in different state? Does it depend who and where you buy the tickets from (busy stores have no time to be nosy, unlike smaller stores, you know?) I don't see what the problem is with this. It's almost like the people at the lottery headquarters do not want anyone to have an advantage in being productive and practical. Though I have not yet figured out how to use my bet slip printing software, I'm just asking this question for future reference.

If I play about $100 worth of numbers (100 tickets), I would need the help of a computer software to fill out bet slips for me and print it, instead of me manually doing it by hand. Doing this daily without the help of a bet slip printing software can be time consuming. Now, if the the bet slip printing software makes the print appear as if it's handwritten and not computer-perfect, scan tron looking, then it might be ok.

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
    ORLANDO, FLORIDA
    United States
    Member #4924
    June 3, 2004
    5896 Posts
    Posted: August 19, 2011, 5:55 am - IP Logged

Does it vary in different state? Does it depend who and where you buy the tickets from (busy stores have no time to be nosy, unlike smaller stores, you know?) I don't see what the problem is with this. It's almost like the people at the lottery headquarters do not want anyone to have an advantage in being productive and practical. Though I have not yet figured out how to use my bet slip printing software, I'm just asking this question for future reference.

If I play about $100 worth of numbers (100 tickets), I would need the help of a computer software to fill out bet slips for me and print it, instead of me manually doing it by hand. Doing this daily without the help of a bet slip printing software can be time consuming. Now, if the the bet slip printing software makes the print appear as if it's handwritten and not computer-perfect, scan tron looking, then it might be ok.

If I understand your question right, I think you are under the impression, the computer is printing the playslip and that's not correct. The printer is printing your number selections on a valid playslip to put into the printer I've never heard of an instance where this is illegal.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5600 Posts
      Posted: August 19, 2011, 8:51 am - IP Logged

In Texas playslips must be completed manually. It says on the back of the playslip that a ticket that is generated from a playslip that is not completed manually is not valid.

Other states may have different rules.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19828 Posts
        Posted: August 19, 2011, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

In Texas playslips must be completed manually. It says on the back of the playslip that a ticket that is generated from a playslip that is not completed manually is not valid.

Other states may have different rules.

I remember Ohio once had a similar rule but I couldn't find it on any of the present play slips.  How would they check?  Winners are only required to show their winning tickets not their play slips.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7310 Posts
          Posted: August 19, 2011, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

I remember Ohio once had a similar rule but I couldn't find it on any of the present play slips.  How would they check?  Winners are only required to show their winning tickets not their play slips.

The only question is if the terminal can read the playslips and print the correct numbers. The readers in some terminal need the entire box covered while others will accept an "X", and others will pick up a speck of dust give an error message saying too many numbers were selected.

"Winners are only required to show their winning tickets not their play slips."

Exactly and I'm guessing some "know-it-all" clerk told them the lottery only accepts tickets where the boxes are checked with a bold black Bic pen.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: August 19, 2011, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

The only question is if the terminal can read the playslips and print the correct numbers. The readers in some terminal need the entire box covered while others will accept an "X", and others will pick up a speck of dust give an error message saying too many numbers were selected.

"Winners are only required to show their winning tickets not their play slips."

Exactly and I'm guessing some "know-it-all" clerk told them the lottery only accepts tickets where the boxes are checked with a bold black Bic pen.

My clerk told me it has to be a Papermate pen, medium point, and if I went outside the lines I would have to do them all over again. And he checks thoroughly.

He's a real taskmaster.

But he must know what he's doing. How else would he be in a position of such authority?

We must respect his authoritaaaaay.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Texas
              United States
              Member #55889
              October 23, 2007
              5600 Posts
              Posted: August 19, 2011, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

My clerk told me it has to be a Papermate pen, medium point, and if I went outside the lines I would have to do them all over again. And he checks thoroughly.

He's a real taskmaster.

But he must know what he's doing. How else would he be in a position of such authority?

The Dragon Lady must have personally selected your clerk. Don't cross the Dragon Lady or she will change the code in the draw computers and YOU will never win!

Oh wait.... she already did that with Pick 3???

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                Tx
                United States
                Member #4570
                May 4, 2004
                5180 Posts
                Posted: August 20, 2011, 10:09 am - IP Logged

Yes, here on Tx the playslips say that:

Don't use red ink

So black or blue ink from a pen, marker or whatever might be O.K.

Also a pencil can be used.

The playslip says that the ticket must be completed manually and that if it is not the the tecket made from it will not be valid, but How will TLC know about it? They can't know unless you show the playslip to them.

I don't know if the lottery terminal will print and or take a playslip was was not filled by hand, but the clerk who takes your playslip might not put it into the machine for you.

Is there a way to do this? Maybe, try going to a new clerk or to a very busy store or to a clerk who just doesn't care, or to a very slow store, the ink form the printer probably doesn't damage the machine anymore than the paper dust produced by the playslips does probably the state lottery for some reason doesn't want people buying and playing way too many combinations for any particular game as the more combinations that a person buys might give him or her a better chance of winning and there are people who would like to buy hundreds or thousands or even millions of combinations.

There is a legal technique that might help a lot, it won't make things easy only much easier but I won't tell anyone about it as I might want one day to use it and don't want the lotteries to know about it, you know how info leaks out and they might again change the rules.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19828 Posts
                  Posted: August 20, 2011, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

Every place I've ever bought tickets in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and West Virgina the clerks run any ticket I gave them and only if the terminal couldn't read them did they try to explain why.  If the printer fill in a fair amount of the number squares then the terminal can tell if it was fill out manually or by a printer. 

I think states put in that rule just to discouraged players from using systems or schemes that required a lot of tickets to be played just as they limited the time one person or group could control a terminal.  Many no longer post it on their play slips

Massachusetts just started enforcing that rule with big spenders coming to their state to take advantage of the rundown of their game when its jackpot exceeded $2M.  Players who could afford the time and money to buy 100,000 tickets could almost guaranteed themselves a profit if only a few did the same.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3104 Posts
                    Posted: August 21, 2011, 2:41 am - IP Logged

It wouldn't hurt to actually read the rules of the game you are playing.  Pretty sure no lottery cares how many losing tickets you buy with computer printer marked play slips, but when you win and lottery security checks with the store owner where the winning ticket was purchased, who knows?  Better safe than sorry when it comes to millions of dollars.  Wink

BobP

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7310 Posts
                      Posted: August 22, 2011, 10:45 am - IP Logged

He's a real taskmaster.

In Florida they experimented using "punch cards play slips" where the players would punch holes in the corresponding number instead of using pencils or pens. There was a big problem because some of the holes weren't punched all the way through. Some just had indentations and others had hanging chads that weren't read by the machines.

On the back of the play slip it said something like "A play slip does not constitute evidence of a winning ticket or numbers selected; players must present a valid ticket in order to claim a prize". One player sued Florida and his case went all the way to the Supreme Court but they ruled against him because he didn't have a valid ticket.

Texas
                        United States
                        Member #55889
                        October 23, 2007
                        5600 Posts
                        Posted: August 22, 2011, 11:03 am - IP Logged

In Florida they experimented using "punch cards play slips" where the players would punch holes in the corresponding number instead of using pencils or pens. There was a big problem because some of the holes weren't punched all the way through. Some just had indentations and others had hanging chads that weren't read by the machines.

On the back of the play slip it said something like "A play slip does not constitute evidence of a winning ticket or numbers selected; players must present a valid ticket in order to claim a prize". One player sued Florida and his case went all the way to the Supreme Court but they ruled against him because he didn't have a valid ticket.

Did they use those before or after the general election electing W?

If after, they apparently didn't learn their lesson.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                          Winning makes me smile.
                          bel air maryland
                          United States
                          Member #90251
                          April 24, 2010
                          4872 Posts
                          Posted: August 22, 2011, 11:07 am - IP Logged

Didn't Florida learn its lesson from the hanging chads in the presidential elections awhile back?

In Maryland it says on the back of the playslip, "This playslip is neither a valid receipt, nor proof of purchase". The lottery is only responsible for numbers actually played via the Lottery terminal.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7310 Posts
                            Posted: August 23, 2011, 10:42 am - IP Logged

Did they use those before or after the general election electing W?

If after, they apparently didn't learn their lesson.

It was a parody of the 2000 presidential election and it's eerie how the lottery rules and regulations can be applied it.