Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Etiquette (Mostly Scratch)

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 5 years ago by TheRightPrice.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
Idaho
United States
Member #94283
July 17, 2010
2284 Posts
Posted: August 27, 2011, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

There was a guy at the vending machine getting a scratch ticket, quickly rubbing off the bar code, scanning, and if it was a winner, scanning again to add to his balance in the machine.  Then he'd buy another scratch and do the same thing.  I stood there for a couple minutes, then said I'm not buying a scratch, just a megamillion.  He reluctantly said okay, put your money in and get what you need.  He had over $20 balance, so I put my dollar in on top of his and got my mega.

After I left, I wondered if I had ruined his winning streak.  I kinda felt bad, cuz I could have stopped somewhere else on the way home for my ticket.

Was it rude of me to kinda put the pressure on him to let me cut in?  If you see someone playing scratchers like that, should you either wait or go somewhere else?  He was there first.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
    California
    United States
    Member #112364
    June 17, 2011
    661 Posts
    Posted: August 27, 2011, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

In my state, the machine that sells lotto and scratch off are two separate machines so I wouldn't need to interrupt him to buy my lotto. But if it were the same machine, I would just go to another store since unlike scratch off, it would make no difference whatsoever where you buy your lotto.

Having said that, I never scratch my ticket at the store or in any public place for that matter. It is just too tacky in my opinion. You don't want a stranger asking questions like hei hei, do you win anything?

SE PA
      United States
      Member #93582
      July 3, 2010
      1866 Posts
      Posted: August 27, 2011, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

I don't mind scratching in a store (unless I know ticket hawks are around), but I try to avoid standing in front of the machine while doing it. That might make me get more tickets than I need to, but it's more courteous IMO.

Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #109275
        April 9, 2011
        1495 Posts
        Posted: August 27, 2011, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

I will do it if I bought alot of tickets. took them home and lost. If I go back and buy one and it is sequential(and if no one is waiting), I will scratch quick to see if I should get the next. I would never do it to keep adding to my total or if someone was behind me.

Orlando, FL
          United States
          Member #115785
          August 28, 2011
          259 Posts
          Posted: August 28, 2011, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

There was a guy at the vending machine getting a scratch ticket, quickly rubbing off the bar code, scanning, and if it was a winner, scanning again to add to his balance in the machine.  Then he'd buy another scratch and do the same thing.  I stood there for a couple minutes, then said I'm not buying a scratch, just a megamillion.  He reluctantly said okay, put your money in and get what you need.  He had over $20 balance, so I put my dollar in on top of his and got my mega.

After I left, I wondered if I had ruined his winning streak.  I kinda felt bad, cuz I could have stopped somewhere else on the way home for my ticket.

Was it rude of me to kinda put the pressure on him to let me cut in?  If you see someone playing scratchers like that, should you either wait or go somewhere else?  He was there first.

I never knew such machines existed.