Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 1:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Maryland non resident taxes and moving question

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 5 years ago by WakeUpDifferen.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
sully16's avatar - sharan
Ringleader
Michigan
United States
Member #81740
October 28, 2009
42186 Posts
Posted: September 19, 2011, 6:44 am - IP Logged

Hey,

I currently live in DC and play the multistate lotteries regularly.  I am going to be moving to maryland in a few short weeks, and I notice that they are the only state to impose a state tax on non-residents (wtf).  If I happen to win any prize (not counting on the jackpot, but that would be nice) on a ticket bought in maryland, are they going to tax me for the win along with DC (since I spent 9 months there as a resident)?  Basically will I have to pax taxes both in DC and Maryland?  at 8-9% of both, thats a big hit to take on any prize.  I know its a nice problem to have, but should I wait to buy any maryland lottery tickets until Jan 1st because they likely treat residency based on the calendar year?  Does this question even make sense?  I never understood maryland's specific lottery tax on non residents.  Any enlightenment would be helpful on the extremely rare chance that I pull a decent win.  I just want piece of mind know that Im not gonna get taxed again and again.  God forbid they just let me spend it in the free market where its gonna get taxed again anyway.

Wakeup, first you got to win, so don't sweat the small stuff.

HyperBe Happy.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
    Member #47420
    November 4, 2006
    3930 Posts
    Posted: September 19, 2011, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

Hey GuyBlow you have no right calling ridgey a troll tiggs is the only one allowed to do that...ridgey is a  troll ridgey is a troll ridgey is a troll...ppppffffffffff..

Pure luck

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      51255 Posts
      Posted: September 19, 2011, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

Hey,

I currently live in DC and play the multistate lotteries regularly.  I am going to be moving to maryland in a few short weeks, and I notice that they are the only state to impose a state tax on non-residents (wtf).  If I happen to win any prize (not counting on the jackpot, but that would be nice) on a ticket bought in maryland, are they going to tax me for the win along with DC (since I spent 9 months there as a resident)?  Basically will I have to pax taxes both in DC and Maryland?  at 8-9% of both, thats a big hit to take on any prize.  I know its a nice problem to have, but should I wait to buy any maryland lottery tickets until Jan 1st because they likely treat residency based on the calendar year?  Does this question even make sense?  I never understood maryland's specific lottery tax on non residents.  Any enlightenment would be helpful on the extremely rare chance that I pull a decent win.  I just want piece of mind know that Im not gonna get taxed again and again.  God forbid they just let me spend it in the free market where its gonna get taxed again anyway.

You're already being Taxed again and again: So, You should be use to it by now!

For Peace of Mind: Realize You're Not Going to Win and You Don't Have to Worry About the Tax Issue!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: September 19, 2011, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

You're already being Taxed again and again: So, You should be use to it by now!

For Peace of Mind: Realize You're Not Going to Win and You Don't Have to Worry About the Tax Issue!

"Realize You're Not Going to Win and You Don't Have to Worry..." LOL Thumbs Up

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
          Member #22980
          October 5, 2005
          23 Posts
          Posted: September 20, 2011, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

Well I was hoping to get a bit more clarity but it seems no one has any insight, heck I dont know either.  my main concern was that if I started buying maryland lottery tickets now, I would get taxed both by maryland and dc.  I was just curious if anyone knew the best way to manage my ticket purchases to help minimize my tax burden.  I've won prizes large enough to pay taxes on in the past, so I was curious if you all knew.  Im not sure why there's such an emphasis on politics on a lottery board, or why people keep telling me to not worry about it because I'm not gonna win.  I'm very aware of the odds, I play for the dream, godforbid I preplan the impossible.  I just assumed people came to this board to talk about these types of things and enjoy the far off possibility of a jackpot win.  Anywho, my plan is to just keep buying them in DC since I spent most of the year there, and then in Jan switch over.  Hopefully thats the smart choice.  Have a good week everyone!

Washington, D.C.
            United States
            Member #114662
            August 5, 2011
            5 Posts
            Posted: September 20, 2011, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

Well I was hoping to get a bit more clarity but it seems no one has any insight, heck I dont know either.  my main concern was that if I started buying maryland lottery tickets now, I would get taxed both by maryland and dc.  I was just curious if anyone knew the best way to manage my ticket purchases to help minimize my tax burden.  I've won prizes large enough to pay taxes on in the past, so I was curious if you all knew.  Im not sure why there's such an emphasis on politics on a lottery board, or why people keep telling me to not worry about it because I'm not gonna win.  I'm very aware of the odds, I play for the dream, godforbid I preplan the impossible.  I just assumed people came to this board to talk about these types of things and enjoy the far off possibility of a jackpot win.  Anywho, my plan is to just keep buying them in DC since I spent most of the year there, and then in Jan switch over.  Hopefully thats the smart choice.  Have a good week everyone!

Hi WakeUp,

I am also a D.C. resident, and tend to buy tickets in D.C., M.D., or V.A..  I am almost certain, that D.C., M.D., and V.A. have a reciprocal tax law.  Meaning:  If you're taxed for something in one state, that burden can not be relayed again in the second state;  however, they may be able to assess you for the difference of the taxable burden.  Basically, it's like state Double Jeopardy for money.  But, since there are tax differences between the states, they may assess you for that difference.  Ex.  If Maryland non residency tax = 7.5% and D.C. tax = 8.5%, and you purchase your ticket in Maryland, Maryland can tax that 7.5%, and D.C. can assess you for NO MORE than the difference between the taxes:  1%. 

I am originally from Texas, but moved here 7 years ago to go to school.  Texas tax laws are pretty laxed, so I needed to do some research, because honestly, in Texas, taxes are more like an option (lol).  But, after getting jobs in D.C. and thinking about buying a new vehicle, house, etc. in the area, I did a little research.  People who work in D.C. but live in V.A. or M.D. dont pay D.C. taxes on that income, they pay there own state's taxes.  All in all, this 'tri-state' area tax business is a little funny or odd to contend with, so I totally understand your need for some kind of clarification.  I hope I helped.

And, regarding the 'politics on a lottery board,' remark... I've lurked this board for TWO years, and made an account recently to ask a question.  But, I ultimately decided against asking my question because of how people interact and relate with each other on this site.  Sometimes things get very very hostile over NOTHING.  But, when seeking clarity, we all hope there's somewhere we can turn.  Embarassed

"Gimmie a piece of the Pie, or I'm taking the whole thing.."

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: September 20, 2011, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

Hi WakeUp,

I am also a D.C. resident, and tend to buy tickets in D.C., M.D., or V.A..  I am almost certain, that D.C., M.D., and V.A. have a reciprocal tax law.  Meaning:  If you're taxed for something in one state, that burden can not be relayed again in the second state;  however, they may be able to assess you for the difference of the taxable burden.  Basically, it's like state Double Jeopardy for money.  But, since there are tax differences between the states, they may assess you for that difference.  Ex.  If Maryland non residency tax = 7.5% and D.C. tax = 8.5%, and you purchase your ticket in Maryland, Maryland can tax that 7.5%, and D.C. can assess you for NO MORE than the difference between the taxes:  1%. 

I am originally from Texas, but moved here 7 years ago to go to school.  Texas tax laws are pretty laxed, so I needed to do some research, because honestly, in Texas, taxes are more like an option (lol).  But, after getting jobs in D.C. and thinking about buying a new vehicle, house, etc. in the area, I did a little research.  People who work in D.C. but live in V.A. or M.D. dont pay D.C. taxes on that income, they pay there own state's taxes.  All in all, this 'tri-state' area tax business is a little funny or odd to contend with, so I totally understand your need for some kind of clarification.  I hope I helped.

And, regarding the 'politics on a lottery board,' remark... I've lurked this board for TWO years, and made an account recently to ask a question.  But, I ultimately decided against asking my question because of how people interact and relate with each other on this site.  Sometimes things get very very hostile over NOTHING.  But, when seeking clarity, we all hope there's somewhere we can turn.  Embarassed

"And, regarding the 'politics on a lottery board,' remark... I've lurked this board for TWO years, and made an account recently to ask a question.  But, I ultimately decided against asking my question because of how people interact and relate with each other on this site.  Sometimes things get very very hostile over NOTHING." 

Oh my goodness graciousness and Heavens to Betsy! We hope your psyche wasn't damaged in your frightening imagined encounter that scared you off from asking a question!

LOL, I've seen some lame rhetoric before but acting timid and frightened is a little bit ridiculous, don't you think? And it's not like it wasn't totally transparent anyway. Your feigned umbrage didn't fool anybody. You should be embarrassed.

You can just go ahead and be yourself now - you've been exposed - as an amateur.

--Edmund Burke

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8395 Posts
                Posted: September 20, 2011, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Hey,

Were the Old Line State if they dont getcha on one line the'll getcha on the other line.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                  Washington, D.C.
                  United States
                  Member #114662
                  August 5, 2011
                  5 Posts
                  Posted: September 22, 2011, 2:40 am - IP Logged

"And, regarding the 'politics on a lottery board,' remark... I've lurked this board for TWO years, and made an account recently to ask a question.  But, I ultimately decided against asking my question because of how people interact and relate with each other on this site.  Sometimes things get very very hostile over NOTHING." 

Oh my goodness graciousness and Heavens to Betsy! We hope your psyche wasn't damaged in your frightening imagined encounter that scared you off from asking a question!

LOL, I've seen some lame rhetoric before but acting timid and frightened is a little bit ridiculous, don't you think? And it's not like it wasn't totally transparent anyway. Your feigned umbrage didn't fool anybody. You should be embarrassed.

You can just go ahead and be yourself now - you've been exposed - as an amateur.

Life is ALL in the way you interpret it.  And, it shows how you see the world.  To ASSume that I was 'frightened' or that my 'psyche' was damaged is pretty much lame on your part.  I simply didn't ask my question because I didn't want it to turn into a culturally charged argument about money, race and social stigma's... PERIOD

I have nothing against you, and in NO WAY attacked you.  BUT, you felt the need to attack me, for no reason... I don't know who you are, and could care less in way.  I respect ALL people until they show reason not to be respected, and you have proven yourself the like, esp. considering I in NO WAY attacked or flamed you. 

*shakes head*  Honestly, I don't even have to respond to your foolishness, but its sad you want to make this forum unwelcoming with your antics.  I did nothing to you, and deserve a modecum of human decency.  You obviously lack the ability to discern what relays as decent conversement and respect (at least on this forum board).   So, I suggest you take a clue from Thumper's mother, and if you have nothing nice to say, don't address me at all.

"Gimmie a piece of the Pie, or I'm taking the whole thing.."

sully16's avatar - sharan
                    Ringleader
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #81740
                    October 28, 2009
                    42186 Posts
                    Posted: September 22, 2011, 8:31 am - IP Logged

Life is ALL in the way you interpret it.  And, it shows how you see the world.  To ASSume that I was 'frightened' or that my 'psyche' was damaged is pretty much lame on your part.  I simply didn't ask my question because I didn't want it to turn into a culturally charged argument about money, race and social stigma's... PERIOD

I have nothing against you, and in NO WAY attacked you.  BUT, you felt the need to attack me, for no reason... I don't know who you are, and could care less in way.  I respect ALL people until they show reason not to be respected, and you have proven yourself the like, esp. considering I in NO WAY attacked or flamed you. 

*shakes head*  Honestly, I don't even have to respond to your foolishness, but its sad you want to make this forum unwelcoming with your antics.  I did nothing to you, and deserve a modecum of human decency.  You obviously lack the ability to discern what relays as decent conversement and respect (at least on this forum board).   So, I suggest you take a clue from Thumper's mother, and if you have nothing nice to say, don't address me at all.

Your , you again ! And thats all that matters.

HyperBe Happy.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: September 22, 2011, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

*shrugs shoulders* Honestly DCPayer*, I'm really nonplussed about what you're saying *raises eybrows* and how you're saying it *scratches head* and even more so with how you spell it *throws arms up in air* and the words you invent along the way *laughs ass off* so I'll just refer you to my previous post *points up* and remind you *taps side of head with index finger* about how transparent your feigned indignation really is *holds up sheet of Saran Wrap*.

And with that I will bid you adieu *pfffffttttt*.

--Edmund Burke

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                        Harbinger
                        D.C./MD.
                        United States
                        Member #44103
                        July 30, 2006
                        5587 Posts
                        Posted: September 22, 2011, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

For God's sake DC is an "F" rated lottery..............you know what the "F" stands for, right?  Maryland is an "A" rated lottery which is good. YO!

Now win something.

If it is $600 or less,  cash money,  YO!

If it is more than $600 1099G, YO!

Picture ID, SS# proof (tax return stubs good, W2's or prior 10999G's), and fill out a form if it is more than $600, YO! YO! YO! YO!

Let yourself play! YO! YO!

Scared

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                          Harbinger
                          D.C./MD.
                          United States
                          Member #44103
                          July 30, 2006
                          5587 Posts
                          Posted: September 22, 2011, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

It used to be "F",  now it be A "D" according to the strict mathematical LP formulae.  Still an "F" in my book Mega and Pball are multi state.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: September 23, 2011, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

It used to be "F",  now it be A "D" according to the strict mathematical LP formulae.  Still an "F" in my book Mega and Pball are multi state.

DC really needs to get crackin on their lottery.

They need somebody in charge to really crack the whip.

They need Marion Berry back.

And that ain't no wise crack.

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                              Member #47420
                              November 4, 2006
                              3930 Posts
                              Posted: September 23, 2011, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

pppffffff...

Pure luck