Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Biggest letdown in lottery history - what's yours?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 5 years ago by TheOtherOne.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #97729
September 22, 2010
321 Posts
Posted: September 24, 2011, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

I purchased three $20 games yesterday, Super Millions (which I am growing to despise), $3,000,000 Taxes Paid, and just for old times sake I purchased Millionaire Jumbo Bucks. I got around to scratching them today, and I was half way through $3,000,000 Taxes Paid, and I uncovered 19, which was one of the winning numbers. It was worth $300,000! I called my wife and told her she should come home and that we had won $300,000. I became shaky and it was surreal. I had never been so excited! For once in our life, we had won more than $300, and it was a BIG winner. I checked it three times and could not believe my luck! Then I ran my hand over the ticket to get the shavings off, and to my broken heart, the 19 on the top line turned into a 10, so no $300,000. Oh well at least I won a free ticket on it and Millionaire Jumbo Bucks, so I only lost $20. I have never been sadder playing the lottery, not even one time when I stupidly blew through hundreds of dollars one day and kept buying tickets and turning them in until I was broke!

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
    Florida
    United States
    Member #104435
    January 14, 2011
    2244 Posts
    Posted: September 24, 2011, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

ouch! same thing happened to me once. was certain i had matched a 5 and won $5,000. it had the appropriate losing code and i even told the clerk i won. got in my car and scratched it completely and turns out it was a misprinted 15 where the 1 and 5 were seperated further apart than usual. like 1 5 ... LOL

2014 Highest Winner: $500

United States
      Member #97729
      September 22, 2010
      321 Posts
      Posted: September 24, 2011, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

ouch! same thing happened to me once. was certain i had matched a 5 and won $5,000. it had the appropriate losing code and i even told the clerk i won. got in my car and scratched it completely and turns out it was a misprinted 15 where the 1 and 5 were seperated further apart than usual. like 1 5 ... LOL

My biggest winner has been $300 so far. May I ask which state you play in, and about how much you spend a week? It seems that you have really good luck. Just curious, because it just seems that chances are some day I will have to win something bigger, at least with three zeroes instead of two.

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
        Connecticut
        United States
        Member #61623
        May 29, 2008
        20581 Posts
        Posted: September 24, 2011, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

Playing anything lottery in Connecticut  lol...  seriously

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

Florida
          United States
          Member #104435
          January 14, 2011
          2244 Posts
          Posted: September 24, 2011, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

My biggest winner has been $300 so far. May I ask which state you play in, and about how much you spend a week? It seems that you have really good luck. Just curious, because it just seems that chances are some day I will have to win something bigger, at least with three zeroes instead of two.

haha you should see member skeptic's posts if you wanna see luck. 10 $500 winners in 1 week ! both of us are in florida

LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
            British Columbia
            Canada
            Member #116101
            September 4, 2011
            4033 Posts
            Posted: September 24, 2011, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

Playing anything lottery in Connecticut  lol...  seriously

Playing anything lottery anywhere  Hit With Stick

"You have to be in it to win it!"

United States
              Member #97729
              September 22, 2010
              321 Posts
              Posted: September 25, 2011, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

haha you should see member skeptic's posts if you wanna see luck. 10 $500 winners in 1 week ! both of us are in florida

Here comes a free book. Enjoy.

We go on vacationing Florida when we can. We like Destin, but the 30A area is just about our favorite mainland destination. We are most likely to go 75 south to Cordele, GA, then we usually end up on the Georgia Florida Parkway and 300. Also HWY 98 and 30A. If we go to Destin, we usually go down75 South to 85 to 185 to 231 and 331, west on I-10, a little bit of HWY 20 then finally across the toll bridge to 98, but our favorite destination is a small sparsely populated barrier island that shall remain nameless.

I am also an out of work car hauler, and we did a lot of GA/FL runs down 75 to 16 to 95 and the Port at Jacksonville, sometimes across I-10 to Lake City, and for the really good runs we went from Jacksonville down 95 to I-4 to get to Orlando, up the Florida turnpike back to 75 if I was lucky, or if I was unlucky I continued down I-4 and usually spent the night in Polk City, then across to Tampa, and back up 75 to come home. We went other places in between, but that just about sums it up.

I even went to the beach at St. Augustine once waiting on a load and got my feet in the water. There really isn't allot of tractor trailer parking in that area, but I finally found a large enough mostly empty parking lot.  I love Florida. My little island and the North GA mountains are my favorite places on earth. If I ever win big, I will have a house in both places. There is nothing wrong with Tampa, it is just that I got paid the same if I went from Marietta (just a little north of Atlanta) to Jacksonville and picked up a load and came back, as if I were to go down I-4 and five places to load cars, and make my way back from Tampa. Another day away from home, another 400 miles without any mileage pay, and no extra pay at all.

Back then I did not play the lotto, but I can't wait to get a chance to go back to Florida. I will buy a load of tickets. I have looked at your states lotto website, and your scratch tickets really do have better odds, overall, and more winners. Fantasy 5 is 5/39 here with odds of 1 in 575,757 for the top prize. In Florida, Fantasy 5 is 5/36 with odds of 1 in 376,992. That means that you have a 50% greater chance of winning Fantasy 5 in Florida, than in Georgia. The only tradeoff is that we often get bigger jackpots, but in Florida they have a whole lot more people sharing the top prize than here in GA. More winners, less money in general. I would rather have the better odds, and a little less money than none at all.

It doesn't seem like I will get another job in car hauling any time soon, but a trip to paradise may be possible this year, only time will tell. Do you or skeptic have any ideas in common? I am looking for advice for when I come back down there. Do you have an exact favorite retailer where you are always successful, or ones that you avoid. Actually the chain of stores or the single locations would be fine. I am looking for the best odds out there. I prefer $20, $5 and $10 scratch offs, in that order, but $20 tickets are my favorite. What tickets are best, and which should be avoided. Do any retailers stand out over others? Do you have better luck from machines or clerks? I will give you a few examples from Georgia that would be the type of information you might want if you came here.

It seems to me that the $10 tickets are a waste of time, but it is probably because they have not come out with any new ones recently. I did however win $100 multiple times on the $10 game Jingle Jumbo Bucks. It has great odds of 1 in 2.74. I like tickets with second chance drawings, but now Georgia is not making as much in the lottery as they need to, so they are starting to rip us off. The overall odds of winning are going up on most tickets, especially the larger ones, which makes the least sense. A $20 ticket should not have odds of less than 1 in 3 period.

The first $20 ticket is Millionaire Jumbo Bucks, with overall odds of 1:3.01. The second oldest $20 ticket is Maximum Green, with overall odds of 1:3.03, and you can enter your losing tickets for monthly second chance drawings, and they pick ten $10,000 winners each month. The next one is $3,000,000 Taxes Paid with odds of 1:3.17. In that game, they pick one winner each week for $20,000. I like both of those ideas. They keep on raising the odds.

The absolute worst new game is Super Millions, with overall odds of  1:3.15, so at least the overall odds did not keep going up like its predecessors. There are top prizes of $1 Million, $2 Million, $3 Million, $4 Million, and $5 Million It also has a second chance drawing, but it sucks because those odds are terrible. ONE person will win $1,000,000, at the conclusion of the game. I think the odds of winning $10,000 or $20,000 weekly or monthly are much greater and obtainable than the ONE SINGLE SHOT at a cool million. Seems like a bust to me.

As far as $10 tickets go, Georgia Lottery Black is the worst ticket I have ever played. It has a top prize of $1,000,000, and fair odds of winning $500, I think it is like 1 in 200, or somewhere else in that range. I never ever won more than $25 in that game, and most either lost, or won a free ticket or $15, and I played it like hell when it came out. That is the worst $10 ticket out there unless you happen to be the lucky one who wins $500.

I would check lotto hideout.net, but their website seems to be down. It is a very good information source. If anyone knows what happened to it, let me know. I have a very powerful web server, and will host the site for a very reasonable fee, cheaper than anyone out there, just because I love the site. Please PM me if you have any information.

The $10 game $1,000,000 cash blast is not too great of a game. I think I won $50 once, so that is ok. I love the Jeep game, and it is a $5 game, and the first time I bought 4 tickets, the first one was a free ticket, and the second was $50, so I started playing like mad, but $25 or maybe $40. It is a decent game. I have played the Falcons $5 game, and I usually break even or close to it.

Phillips 66 stations are the worst, followed by Shell. They both suck and I usually avoid them like the plague, but some shells are OK. QT sucks overall, but I must admit I won $100 on a $1 scratch off ticket there, so you never know, but ultimately I do not fare as well there. By far and above my favorite is Exxon Gas Stations, and Publix and Kroger machines. They are all a toss-up.

If you have any pointers for Florida, let me know. Where to and where not to shop, and the best and worst $20 tickets, and maybe $10 and $5 tickets. I usually go for the newer tickets, but I occasionally like to buy an older ticket. Eufaula is the half way mark for the trip to Florida if we go to Destin, and we usually find something to eat there. Anyone in Alabama have any suggestions as well down from 85 South in Columbus to 185 and down 431 and 231. Thanks a million. If you middle and South Georgia folks know of a good place, let me know.

Florida
                United States
                Member #104435
                January 14, 2011
                2244 Posts
                Posted: September 25, 2011, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

Hi Carhauler,

I recommend buying your tickets at Publix. its the only consistant retailer where huge winners come out of all the time. gas stations are also good.

$5 and $10 tickets have the same odds for $5k and $10k. $20 tics have little better odds, especially $500

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
                  Member #81314
                  October 16, 2009
                  19014 Posts
                  Posted: September 25, 2011, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Here comes a free book. Enjoy.

We go on vacationing Florida when we can. We like Destin, but the 30A area is just about our favorite mainland destination. We are most likely to go 75 south to Cordele, GA, then we usually end up on the Georgia Florida Parkway and 300. Also HWY 98 and 30A. If we go to Destin, we usually go down75 South to 85 to 185 to 231 and 331, west on I-10, a little bit of HWY 20 then finally across the toll bridge to 98, but our favorite destination is a small sparsely populated barrier island that shall remain nameless.

I am also an out of work car hauler, and we did a lot of GA/FL runs down 75 to 16 to 95 and the Port at Jacksonville, sometimes across I-10 to Lake City, and for the really good runs we went from Jacksonville down 95 to I-4 to get to Orlando, up the Florida turnpike back to 75 if I was lucky, or if I was unlucky I continued down I-4 and usually spent the night in Polk City, then across to Tampa, and back up 75 to come home. We went other places in between, but that just about sums it up.

I even went to the beach at St. Augustine once waiting on a load and got my feet in the water. There really isn't allot of tractor trailer parking in that area, but I finally found a large enough mostly empty parking lot.  I love Florida. My little island and the North GA mountains are my favorite places on earth. If I ever win big, I will have a house in both places. There is nothing wrong with Tampa, it is just that I got paid the same if I went from Marietta (just a little north of Atlanta) to Jacksonville and picked up a load and came back, as if I were to go down I-4 and five places to load cars, and make my way back from Tampa. Another day away from home, another 400 miles without any mileage pay, and no extra pay at all.

Back then I did not play the lotto, but I can't wait to get a chance to go back to Florida. I will buy a load of tickets. I have looked at your states lotto website, and your scratch tickets really do have better odds, overall, and more winners. Fantasy 5 is 5/39 here with odds of 1 in 575,757 for the top prize. In Florida, Fantasy 5 is 5/36 with odds of 1 in 376,992. That means that you have a 50% greater chance of winning Fantasy 5 in Florida, than in Georgia. The only tradeoff is that we often get bigger jackpots, but in Florida they have a whole lot more people sharing the top prize than here in GA. More winners, less money in general. I would rather have the better odds, and a little less money than none at all.

It doesn't seem like I will get another job in car hauling any time soon, but a trip to paradise may be possible this year, only time will tell. Do you or skeptic have any ideas in common? I am looking for advice for when I come back down there. Do you have an exact favorite retailer where you are always successful, or ones that you avoid. Actually the chain of stores or the single locations would be fine. I am looking for the best odds out there. I prefer $20, $5 and $10 scratch offs, in that order, but $20 tickets are my favorite. What tickets are best, and which should be avoided. Do any retailers stand out over others? Do you have better luck from machines or clerks? I will give you a few examples from Georgia that would be the type of information you might want if you came here.

It seems to me that the $10 tickets are a waste of time, but it is probably because they have not come out with any new ones recently. I did however win $100 multiple times on the $10 game Jingle Jumbo Bucks. It has great odds of 1 in 2.74. I like tickets with second chance drawings, but now Georgia is not making as much in the lottery as they need to, so they are starting to rip us off. The overall odds of winning are going up on most tickets, especially the larger ones, which makes the least sense. A $20 ticket should not have odds of less than 1 in 3 period.

The first $20 ticket is Millionaire Jumbo Bucks, with overall odds of 1:3.01. The second oldest $20 ticket is Maximum Green, with overall odds of 1:3.03, and you can enter your losing tickets for monthly second chance drawings, and they pick ten $10,000 winners each month. The next one is $3,000,000 Taxes Paid with odds of 1:3.17. In that game, they pick one winner each week for $20,000. I like both of those ideas. They keep on raising the odds.

The absolute worst new game is Super Millions, with overall odds of  1:3.15, so at least the overall odds did not keep going up like its predecessors. There are top prizes of $1 Million, $2 Million, $3 Million, $4 Million, and $5 Million It also has a second chance drawing, but it sucks because those odds are terrible. ONE person will win $1,000,000, at the conclusion of the game. I think the odds of winning $10,000 or $20,000 weekly or monthly are much greater and obtainable than the ONE SINGLE SHOT at a cool million. Seems like a bust to me.

As far as $10 tickets go, Georgia Lottery Black is the worst ticket I have ever played. It has a top prize of $1,000,000, and fair odds of winning $500, I think it is like 1 in 200, or somewhere else in that range. I never ever won more than $25 in that game, and most either lost, or won a free ticket or $15, and I played it like hell when it came out. That is the worst $10 ticket out there unless you happen to be the lucky one who wins $500.

I would check lotto hideout.net, but their website seems to be down. It is a very good information source. If anyone knows what happened to it, let me know. I have a very powerful web server, and will host the site for a very reasonable fee, cheaper than anyone out there, just because I love the site. Please PM me if you have any information.

The $10 game $1,000,000 cash blast is not too great of a game. I think I won $50 once, so that is ok. I love the Jeep game, and it is a $5 game, and the first time I bought 4 tickets, the first one was a free ticket, and the second was $50, so I started playing like mad, but $25 or maybe $40. It is a decent game. I have played the Falcons $5 game, and I usually break even or close to it.

Phillips 66 stations are the worst, followed by Shell. They both suck and I usually avoid them like the plague, but some shells are OK. QT sucks overall, but I must admit I won $100 on a $1 scratch off ticket there, so you never know, but ultimately I do not fare as well there. By far and above my favorite is Exxon Gas Stations, and Publix and Kroger machines. They are all a toss-up.

If you have any pointers for Florida, let me know. Where to and where not to shop, and the best and worst $20 tickets, and maybe $10 and $5 tickets. I usually go for the newer tickets, but I occasionally like to buy an older ticket. Eufaula is the half way mark for the trip to Florida if we go to Destin, and we usually find something to eat there. Anyone in Alabama have any suggestions as well down from 85 South in Columbus to 185 and down 431 and 231. Thanks a million. If you middle and South Georgia folks know of a good place, let me know.

Good Luck @ CarHauler

I enjoyed reading your e-book.  Smile

Scratch and Win Big!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Party

The Struggle is real!

United States
                    Member #97729
                    September 22, 2010
                    321 Posts
                    Posted: September 29, 2011, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

I agree. Publix does seem to have a lot of big winners on the states lottery's website. There was a time once where I put a bookmark on Google Earth for the big winners of the scratch-offs all over the state: the amount, the store, city, etc. I should resume that practice, along with recording my wins and losses on an Excel spreadsheet, with a page for each ticket (at least the ones I played a lot).

Some gas stations are pretty good, while others suck. I have a very strong feeling that clerks play at some stores, or at least have a system where they reward their loyal customers, probably the ones that tip, but I have no proof of this. I would love to get in on the action if I could figure out how. Of course all of the clerks you ask say they never play. There is some reason that owners and employees of some stores have cashed in over a million dollars worth of tickets under their names or that of a family member. They have to know something that I don't. There is an article with videos on here somewhere about that. I think it was CBS that did the story.

Has there been anything in the number sequence of the roll, the play area or the validation code that has led you to believe that a certain roll has a big winner in it? I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that all of those $500 winners were not usually the first ticket you purchased off the roll, or are you one that purchases whole rolls? I bought a book for $300, then only got $135 back. The next day I went to a different retailer and bought a single $20 ticket and won $300. Go figure. After that, I have had a bad taste in my mouth about buying whole rolls. You have to have a big winner to make it worth it, otherwise you are screwed. What leads you to the big winners? I want to join the $500 club. I have probably spent close to $10,000 since I started playing almost a year ago to the day, and the biggest winners I have had are $300, $200 and $150, and that is just one of each. I have had at least a dozen $100 winner or so.

The biggest joke in Georgia history with the most hype is Georgia Lottery Black, a $10 ticket. I bet I have purchased at least 50 to 100 of those tickets and have never won more than $25, and most of those that won have been $15 winners or a free ticket, but I see five to ten $500 winners posted in some gas stations. I went to one station that used to be a favorite, and it was when the Black ticket had just come out. I did not see any in the bin, so I asked the owner if there were any. He stood up, and pulled them out of his lap. I could not see what he was doing, maybe just counting them, but I doubt it.

I am determined to win $500 or more. Help!

Atlanta, Ga
                      United States
                      Member #114701
                      August 5, 2011
                      14 Posts
                      Posted: September 29, 2011, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

My biggest let down was today when I read on the Ga lottery website that a Savannah man won 5 mil today playing Maxixum Green :( At least Savannah is relatively far from Atlanta.

myrtle beach
                        United States
                        Member #108757
                        March 30, 2011
                        3 Posts
                        Posted: October 4, 2011, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

almost winning the 2nd biggest mega millions jackpot on Jan 4th 2011 was my biggest upset!  If I would have played a number that kept ringing in my head but didnt chose it, I would have a million! and if I had just moved that 42 over to the mega ball it would have been split 3 ways on that day instead of 2. I keep playing and hope for better luck and the money to roll in. I even took a picture of my ticket and people say I was the closest they have had ever seen  to a winning ticket!!!! It is such a conversation piece at my business, it really is.   I only won $600.00.......

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
                          Nashville, TN
                          United States
                          Member #86739
                          February 9, 2010
                          483 Posts
                          Posted: October 19, 2011, 3:34 am - IP Logged

I occasionally kick myself for not playing a number on Cash 4 about a year and a half ago.

That night when I read the winning numbers and fell over on my car, I looked down at my hand where you could still see the exact, straight winning number written in ink and my mouth hit the floor.

I had only been playing cash 4 about a month, so I was very new. Earlier that day around 330pm at work I saw the number 6712 on my computer or in my mind somewhere. Whatever the case, I wrote it on my hand with the intent to stop and play it on the way home.

For whatever reason I didnt. This number stuck out to me because I grew up in SC with the number 6712 as the address until I was 13.

I would like to think, that since I was new to Cash 4 I would have played the number straight, box, and maybe even straight again. I remember I had recently read of a man who played a number like 10 or 20 times and it hit so he was very happy. Who knows, hind sight's 20/20 but <snip>, I sure could have used that $5000+ and probably would still have some of it today after streeeettching it out...

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.