Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

There should be a law against scratching in the store

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 5 years ago by CarHauler.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
new york
United States
Member #63828
August 9, 2008
181 Posts
Posted: September 24, 2011, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Seriously. Lately (and it doesn't matter which ticket I purchase), if I purchase one or two of the same tickets, and take then home - nada. There used to be a time when I would purchase two of the $10 and $20 tickets and win on at least one of them, but that hasn't happened in months. Every time I purchase two tickets I never win!

I suspect one of the reasons is that more customers are scratching in the store to offset their losses, and when they finally win on a ticket, the losers are left for us suckers to purchase.

I know that not much can be done about this, but it's so frustrating to purchase a couple of tickets from any roll and not win anything.

Has anyone noticed an increase in scratching tickets in stores?

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3856 Posts
    Posted: September 24, 2011, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Seriously. Lately (and it doesn't matter which ticket I purchase), if I purchase one or two of the same tickets, and take then home - nada. There used to be a time when I would purchase two of the $10 and $20 tickets and win on at least one of them, but that hasn't happened in months. Every time I purchase two tickets I never win!

I suspect one of the reasons is that more customers are scratching in the store to offset their losses, and when they finally win on a ticket, the losers are left for us suckers to purchase.

I know that not much can be done about this, but it's so frustrating to purchase a couple of tickets from any roll and not win anything.

Has anyone noticed an increase in scratching tickets in stores?

a law is not going to do anything they'll just scratch them outside.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
      British Columbia
      Canada
      Member #116101
      September 4, 2011
      4033 Posts
      Posted: September 24, 2011, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

something like employees are forbidded to play in the store where they work

if they play and win, their tkts will be voided

"You have to be in it to win it!"

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
        United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3856 Posts
        Posted: September 24, 2011, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

that won't work either, they'll just take em in the restroom,no camera.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: September 24, 2011, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

I've noticed a lot of players scratching them in their cars and if they have any winners they go back into the store and get some more tickets.  They usually continue doing this until all their winnings are gone or the get a big winner, $100 or more.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

new york
            United States
            Member #63828
            August 9, 2008
            181 Posts
            Posted: September 24, 2011, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

I've seen lurkers virtually live in some of these stores, and these same lurkers 'pay off' the clerks whenever they are alerted to a 'hot ticket'. If the lurker wins, the clerks gets a piece of the action.

Are the clerks 'supposed' to get a piece of the action? Is this even ethical? Sure, you tip a barber, a waiter, but a clerk selling you a scratch off ticket?

Ethical? No, but it happens more often than we realize. And it's not fair to those of us who purchase the next ticket(s), the losing ones, and of course, if you ask the clerk if there were any recent winners on a particular roll, the clerk keeps mum because he/she has just been paid off.

I guess the same can be said about asking the clerk about recent winners on instant scratch off tickets, but it's all just so very frustrating.

LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
              British Columbia
              Canada
              Member #116101
              September 4, 2011
              4033 Posts
              Posted: September 24, 2011, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

that won't work either, they'll just take em in the restroom,no camera.

time to pull the Donald Trump is start firing Hit With Stick

"You have to be in it to win it!"

United States
                Member #97729
                September 22, 2010
                321 Posts
                Posted: September 25, 2011, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

I've noticed a lot of players scratching them in their cars and if they have any winners they go back into the store and get some more tickets.  They usually continue doing this until all their winnings are gone or the get a big winner, $100 or more.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I usually just grab a few and take them home, but sometimes I scratch them in the store. Take today for example. I bought a $20 Maximum Green and it lost. I purchased another ant it won a ticket. The numbers were going down: 005 lost, and 004 won a free ticket, so statistically speaking even if there was a $100 winner in there, the best I could have hoped for would been still losing $20, assuming it was the last ticket in the roll, and it was $100,  but who knows, someone might have already had a $500 winner. I cut my losses and kept the other three twenty dollar bills in my pocket.

A strategy that I had been playing was to spend $40, and I still do this from time to time: a $20 ticket, a $10 ticket, and two $5 tickets. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. My favorite strategy of recent is to buy three different $0 tickets, and I know that most people would say that I would have a better chance of getting a winner if I got three of the same ticket, and i cannot find fault in that logic, but there is something else to consider. Most players have a favorite ticket. If that player is buying $20 tickets, he is most likely going to keep trying to find that big winner if he has the cash, and like you said, once he finds his $100 winner, he is done. Unless he has a lot of money to spend, say $1200 to buy all four rolls of $20 tickets that we have in GA (They are $300 a roll, no matter the denomination), then unless that happens, there is a good chance that there is a winner in one of those other rolls.

I know I have had this happen to me in the past. I kept on buying tickets, and the store had tables in the back so you can scratch in the store, smoke cigarettes, and play the video poker games. I had been buying ticket after ticket. I finished a $20 roll with a free ticket, so I started on the next roll. I was buying one at a time, and someone swooped in and bought two in a row, and then hauled ass out of the store. They had been in there a while. I am sure they lurked and knew the time was right for a winner. I spent $120 so they could (most likely) win $100. When I saw it was on ticket number three, my gut told me not to buy and I didn't. It sat there the rest of the time.

I used to keep very detailed Excel spreadsheets, and had a page for each ticket at one point. I would record the store where I purchased them, the entire twelve digit ticket number(s) XXX-XXXXXXXX-XXX, and the validation numbers. I was shocked to find that I won two to three times more frequently at some other stores, and that most all of my winners at that particular store were mostly all small amounts like free ticket to twice the face value of the ticket. I am not in the market for that, so I very rarely play at that store anymore. I was consistently in the red at that store, and in the black at the other.

Listen to this if you want to learn something. I am not God, nor do I represent that I have any special skills that help me win. I kept reading that you just had to be at the right place at the right time to win, but I did not believe it, but now I do more or less, even though I do believe that clerks count the tickets and pick tickets at the right time, and I d think some of them help out their favorite customers. That being said, I spent $300 on a roll of $3,000,000 taxes paid. It is a $20 game, and there are 15 tickets in a roll. I ended up keeping $135 of the $300 that I had spent, for a loss of $165. The biggest winner in that pack was $60. The very next day I went to another retailer, and bought just one of that same ticket, and it won $300! So you have to be at the right place at the right time.