Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Loose Scratch-offs, or ones that are still attached to the roll?

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 5 years ago by dr65.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Miami, Florida
United States
Member #111795
June 2, 2011
581 Posts
Posted: September 28, 2011, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

I apologize in advance if this topic has ever been mentioned before, but I'm wondering if any of you also avoid the "loose" scratch-off?  I like to get a scratch-off that's still attached by the perforated edge to the rest of the roll. Why would one be loose? Did the person before me buy a few--hit something good on one of them, and the store let them give the other one back? I'm sure it's happened....why else would a scratch-off just be sitting there loose? (And this is assuming it's not the last one on the roll, I'm talking about one where the rest of the roll still remains.) Any one else have this same experience?

United States
    Member #97729
    September 22, 2010
    321 Posts
    Posted: September 29, 2011, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

It could be that, it happened to me once before that I was playing a $10 game, and it looked like it was at the end of the roll, I started on 007 and purchased my way down to 002 and asked for the last two, and he said that I had the last two. I informed him that the last two were 001 and 000, not 002. Rolls do not end on 002. $10 tickets go from 000 to 029.

He admitted that the owner liked to take the first few tickets of the roll, and I informed him that it was fraud, and reported him to the lottery commission on the grounds that it harmed the public trust in the lottery, was unfair, and it ruined the overall odds. I had seen the pattern before, and I figured there was a good chance that I could have won a decent prize, probably $50 or $100. He was probably selling from both ends of the roll, and that is not right, and I do not think it is legal. I pursued it half-heatedly, but I should have seen it through. It has pissed me off again thinking about it and maybe I will call GLC security. We missed each other several times on the phone, and he only said to call him on my email exchanges.

Now, after getting that off my chest, I would ask the clerk the numbers onall of the tickets that were loose, and the next number left on the roll. They should be in order, if not there is a problem. Sometimes people ask for a few tickets, and change their mind at the last moment. Here in GA you are not supposed to be able to purchase lottery tickets with anything but cash, but not every retailer follows this policy. Some take debit cards. I have ordered tickets, the clerk tore them off, and then I went to pay with a card and they said no, so they put the tickets back up. So long as they are still in consecutive order, I would not worry about it too much. If they are out of order, you have to make your own decision. Sometimes I have had two winners in a row.

Orlando, FL
      United States
      Member #115785
      August 28, 2011
      259 Posts
      Posted: September 29, 2011, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Yes! This happened to me once. I was perplexed and the ticket had a scratch on it, but nothing visble, really, it was a loser.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #74096
        May 2, 2009
        22923 Posts
        Posted: September 29, 2011, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

I apologize in advance if this topic has ever been mentioned before, but I'm wondering if any of you also avoid the "loose" scratch-off?  I like to get a scratch-off that's still attached by the perforated edge to the rest of the roll. Why would one be loose? Did the person before me buy a few--hit something good on one of them, and the store let them give the other one back? I'm sure it's happened....why else would a scratch-off just be sitting there loose? (And this is assuming it's not the last one on the roll, I'm talking about one where the rest of the roll still remains.) Any one else have this same experience?

I don't avoid them from the store I trust...it's a store that sells a lot of tickets and the clerk will take the remaing couple of tickets from the display

case bin and add a brand new pack and wedge the remaining ones into the slot for easy access. I can see why he does this...it's to be prepared

so he doesn't have customers waiting while he takes the top section of the display case off, feed the new pack of tickets through the slot and have

people waiting.

I would not buy loose tickets from a gas station/mini-mart type store...seems the clerks at a lot of stores really get into playing and tinkering with

some of the tickets.

I've had tickets I refused in the past that had little parts of the latex scratched off...that I do NOT like and will not accept a ticket like that.

I think if it's a high volume place where tickets fly off the shelf, the reason for seeing this is just to avoid making customers wait for a reload.

Sometimes people do change their minds or the clerk grabs the wrong ticket. I've seen clerks wedge the corner of the ticket into the slot and grab

the right one.

I didn't think of the reason you stated above, that's a good one too...maybe someone bought 10 and did 5 and got a good one and gave the rest

back to the clerk (I'd think they'd have to have a better relationship with the clerk than the average player who doesn't come in often)

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #74096
          May 2, 2009
          22923 Posts
          Posted: September 29, 2011, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

It could be that, it happened to me once before that I was playing a $10 game, and it looked like it was at the end of the roll, I started on 007 and purchased my way down to 002 and asked for the last two, and he said that I had the last two. I informed him that the last two were 001 and 000, not 002. Rolls do not end on 002. $10 tickets go from 000 to 029.

He admitted that the owner liked to take the first few tickets of the roll, and I informed him that it was fraud, and reported him to the lottery commission on the grounds that it harmed the public trust in the lottery, was unfair, and it ruined the overall odds. I had seen the pattern before, and I figured there was a good chance that I could have won a decent prize, probably $50 or $100. He was probably selling from both ends of the roll, and that is not right, and I do not think it is legal. I pursued it half-heatedly, but I should have seen it through. It has pissed me off again thinking about it and maybe I will call GLC security. We missed each other several times on the phone, and he only said to call him on my email exchanges.

Now, after getting that off my chest, I would ask the clerk the numbers onall of the tickets that were loose, and the next number left on the roll. They should be in order, if not there is a problem. Sometimes people ask for a few tickets, and change their mind at the last moment. Here in GA you are not supposed to be able to purchase lottery tickets with anything but cash, but not every retailer follows this policy. Some take debit cards. I have ordered tickets, the clerk tore them off, and then I went to pay with a card and they said no, so they put the tickets back up. So long as they are still in consecutive order, I would not worry about it too much. If they are out of order, you have to make your own decision. Sometimes I have had two winners in a row.

CarHauler..what you described is just plain WRONG. I wouldn't be too happy about that one. I'm happy you reported they guy and I hope that

you will see it through. More people need to report and complain about these things. I called HQ's once and didn't like the 1/2 baked response I

got - I was told the clerks have a right to play too. Well, when clerks deal with tickets all day, they have insider information. No one can tell me

there are not good winners in the first 10 and last 10 of a roll...some packs might be like that but most are not. As for random, they can stick

random because play these things long enough and there are regular winners in those numbers...and this is something clerks/store owners know.