Wrong ticket wins Georgia woman $25 million

Oct 5, 2011, 7:03 am (50 comments)

Powerball

It was a huge mistake, but one with a silver lining for a woman who says her winning $25 million lottery ticket wasn't the one she originally wanted.

Kathy Scruggs, 44, from Lithonia Georgia, says a store clerk mistakenly sold her a lottery ticket for a different game than the one requested.

"I asked for a Mega Millions ticket and the lady gave me a Powerball ticket," Ms. Scruggs told the Georgia Lottery.

"I just took it anyway," she says, ending up purchasing both types.

That Powerball ticket, however, contained the complete set of winning numbers.

"We were screaming and hollering, and everybody came running," she describes the morning after the September 14th drawing.

She says her entire house and family were woken by her excitement.

"I could not believe it," she explains.

Nineteen days later, Ms. Scruggs claimed her winnings in Atlanta.

Previously only carrying a seasonal job which ended following Prom time, Ms. Scruggs says she has been continuously looking for work.

"I've been looking and looking and looking," she told the lottery.

But following her multi-million win, she now expects to be gainfully busy.

"I'm going to build my mom and grandmother a home," she to told the lottery. "That's my first focus."

With the winning money she also plans to treat herself to a new car, travel, as well as to help others.

Her current desire in giving back is for a new homeless foundation.

Ms. Scruggs says she'd also like to use some of the money to provide dental assistance to the needy.

"I'm happy and grateful," she tells the Georgia Lottery. "I really am."

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

gocart1's avatargocart1

I always buy the wrong ticket thats why iI'm still here..Now the Mistake ticket is another thing. The name of this story should be changed to the Mistake ticket..And I always buy the  Mistake tickets also , when the store clerk messes up...PartyUS FlagParty

gocart1's avatargocart1

OOppps. Sorry ..Forget to say congrats to Kathy...

Starr920

Congratulations to Ms. ScruggsHurray!

I love reading about this kind of lottery winner. The fact that the ticket was a mistake reminds me of NY prison guard Garina Fearon who went to buy a PB ticket and ended up with a $54 million Mega Millions winner!

Best mistake everThumbs Up

sully16's avatarsully16

Nice story, Congrats Kathy, enjoy !Cheers

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Congrats to Kathy Scruggs!

Sun Smiley

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I think it may have been OJ's lawyer, Johnny Cochrane, who once said:

"If the ticket's a mistake - it's the ticket you must take."

Or maybe it was me who said that, I don't remember.

surimaribo24's avatarsurimaribo24

i always take wrong tickets love them . it was simply her luck . 

i like what she s gonna do with the money verry generious of her .

im sure and hope she will tip the clerk who gave her the wrong wining ticket  also . i didnt see that in the story . im sure she will

god bless her .

surimaribo24's avatarsurimaribo24

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Oct 5, 2011

ridge how are you buddy .

im sure it was you who said thatSmile and you said it verry well .

tamaramd

Congrats to the winner. This story was posted on Yahoo. There were so many people upset about her buying the ticket because she was unemployed.  Crazy!!  You think they were wanted to be the winners.

CLETU$

I always buy "mistake" tickets.Hasn't done any good,yet,but I keep hoping & dreaming.Congrats to the lucky lady!

freeobama's avatarfreeobama

I believe a lot of things happen in life for a reason! Congrats Ms.Scruggs.Now only if i can become virginia first powerball winner tonight!Bat

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by surimaribo24 on Oct 5, 2011

ridge how are you buddy .

im sure it was you who said thatSmile and you said it verry well .

Hey suri, I'm rollin'.

Thank you, it probably was me, sounded familiar.

louise black

Quote: Originally posted by tamaramd on Oct 5, 2011

Congrats to the winner. This story was posted on Yahoo. There were so many people upset about her buying the ticket because she was unemployed.  Crazy!!  You think they were wanted to be the winners.

BananaFirst Congrat to Ms Scruggs, second the d$$$ people complaining about this lady winning are D$$$ haters they need to get a life, she during good with her winning probably more than what some of them would do.Now! she don't need a job maybe even start a business and hire some those a$$hole talking.Haters everywhereRant no door left to just congrat to the  lady.Evil Looking

VAHopeful's avatarVAHopeful

I also buy the mistake tickets, and hope I get to come back and reward the cashier for the mistake. Hasn't happened yet.

Helping needy with dental. I think that's a wonderful idea.

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Congratz Ms. Scruggs Cheers

I always buy the mistake tickets too Smile 

My Turn Dance

cbr$'s avatarcbr$

PartyCongrat's to Kathy Scruggs on her win, enjoy it.  I've actually purchased and win off tickets other players have told the retailer some was wrong with them.

boise

Good for her!!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Hey, it's time for me to win Powermillions tonite! Even though I didn't purchase any mistakes!     Cool

Congrats to the winner in GA! Cheers

c*aramel

This is a heartwarming story. It seems that this winner is a generous woman. She is first thinking of her mother and grandmother as well as the homeless. Have you noticed the most generous people are those who tend to win big. That ticket was not a mistake, it was meant for her and the store clerk is the angel who sold it to her. Be happy for this winner. Negativity only attracts more negativity. I am happy for her and those she will benefit. Good things come to those who wait.

zinniagirl's avatarzinniagirl

My best to the lady.  Hopefully, she is surrounded by those who will protect her and her money.

david1691

Congratulations to this lady.  She has been truly blessed.  It's always good to hear stories like these.  Considering what her situation was, it's good to hear that she will be helping others who truly need it. Blue Angel

It's always an unexpected blessing when someone wins this way.  I've had this happen to me twice with mistake tickets.  Once for an extra $250 and another for an extra $320.  It's always good to check tickets when purchasing as we know the opposite could happen.

imash85

This is a great story. I wish her all the best.Hurray!

eddessaknight's avatareddessaknight

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Oct 5, 2011

I Agree!

Aye rdgrnr, among the old pros there is a practice here @ gambling ground zero that if a ticket writer makes a mistake  with racing/sports book at keno counter accept it & let it ride >>>>>

Who knows ????

EddessaKnight

PS

"Hey Not for notin...." as the Brooklyn Boyz would say but I am still wondering what happend to my first post on this topic @ 3 AM ????

My Congrats again Kathy Drum

TheRightPrice

Why can't this happen to me?????Crying

player345's avatarplayer345

Blue Angel  Her guardian angel ;-)

Congratulations!!!!   It was certainly meant for Ms. Scruggs to be there at that particular moment and for the clerk to do exactly what she did at that moment also!   What is it called?  Karma? 

I sincerely hope Ms. Scruggs shares some of her winnings with the clerk who gave her the winning ticket.  I believe someone else in this thread mentioned this as well as it wasn't mentioned in the article.

Keep on believing and having positive thoughts about yourself and it will happen!!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by player345 on Oct 5, 2011

Blue Angel  Her guardian angel ;-)

Congratulations!!!!   It was certainly meant for Ms. Scruggs to be there at that particular moment and for the clerk to do exactly what she did at that moment also!   What is it called?  Karma? 

I sincerely hope Ms. Scruggs shares some of her winnings with the clerk who gave her the winning ticket.  I believe someone else in this thread mentioned this as well as it wasn't mentioned in the article.

Keep on believing and having positive thoughts about yourself and it will happen!!

She owes money to no one!

Bash

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by Starr920 on Oct 5, 2011

Congratulations to Ms. ScruggsHurray!

I love reading about this kind of lottery winner. The fact that the ticket was a mistake reminds me of NY prison guard Garina Fearon who went to buy a PB ticket and ended up with a $54 million Mega Millions winner!

Best mistake everThumbs Up

Me too!

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by VAHopeful on Oct 5, 2011

I also buy the mistake tickets, and hope I get to come back and reward the cashier for the mistake. Hasn't happened yet.

Helping needy with dental. I think that's a wonderful idea.

Wow, congratulations Kathy. 

Kathy, I hope that you really do find a way to help the needy with DENTAL work getting done.  I've never heard a jackpot winner speaking of this wonderfully helpful idea (after all, it's good for folks to be able to eat on both sides of their mouth, pain and debris-sticking free). Certainly, most dental care is much lower than medical ... and majority of dentists are charging a huge markup for their labor and material rates during this past decade! 

Would be great, Kathy, if you could create a foundation (or fund an existing one and become somewhat active monthly in expanding it), and work with a couple of advanced dentists (negotiated bottom rates for oral surgery, root canals, high-noble metal molar crowns, thrice-yearly deep cleanings, and large cavity fillings) in each of the largest metro areas in each state of our country ... adding a new state each year.

Party

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I once bought a bunch of mistake tickets and won nothing. There's nothing special about mistake tickets, only that winning on them makes news juicier

I am happy for Ms Scruggs and hope she uses that money to bring joy to her family for a long time.

Dollar419's avatarDollar419

Wow, what amazing good luck—I always buy the lottery mistakes but it has yet to pay off like thisSmile. Talk about “luck of the draw” and being at the right place at the right time—I know when I win the big jackpot, my 1st purchase will be my dream home. Congratulations on to the winner!!

One who loses today, wins big tomorrowDance

temptustoo's avatartemptustoo

Congrats to the winner.. Maybe she can pay for some spelling lessons for the people here on lottery post.  just a thoughtShocked

dearsha

iam glad she want to help the homeless  with some of her winningSun Smiley  tonight is the night some lucky winner is going to win  powerball♥♥♥

louise black

Quote: Originally posted by c*aramel on Oct 5, 2011

This is a heartwarming story. It seems that this winner is a generous woman. She is first thinking of her mother and grandmother as well as the homeless. Have you noticed the most generous people are those who tend to win big. That ticket was not a mistake, it was meant for her and the store clerk is the angel who sold it to her. Be happy for this winner. Negativity only attracts more negativity. I am happy for her and those she will benefit. Good things come to those who wait.

I Agree!BananaWhen I read this article , I was so happy for Ms Scrruggs and what really made the greatness to this story are the plans she has for the money,great story God bless her.  Blue Angel

Piaceri

What a nice win. Congrats to Ms. Scruggs. She definitely had a guardian angel watching over her that day. Blue Angel

Simba774

A clerk once gave me a 5 dollar quick pick by mistake. That  5 dollars with to waste, because it wasn't a winner.Unhappy

Congrats to her. She no longer has to worry about finding a job.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congrats Ms. Scruggs ........

CashWinner$

CONGRATULATIONS!

So very happy for you!

Party

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by tamaramd on Oct 5, 2011

Idiots and the internet go hand and hand.

konane's avatarkonane

Congratulations Kathy Scruggs..!!!!!!!!  Party

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

I am glad someone young won the jackpot and it sure seemed like a lucky month for ethnic folk (NY guy winning Mega).  But there is not enough money in the world to address all the "wants" of people and she is in no way obligated to address ALL of the needs of other people.  Just ignore the pleas for loans and gifts and manage your winnings smartly.  This is the only hope and change we can believe in under this current administration, so hopefully my hope and change will come soon in the next coming weeks through PB, MM, or state lotteries (hey, I am not picky and I don't have a guaranteed $400K per year job like someone does).  If my hope and change does not come this way, I will find a way to make multi-millions (so no you won't find me on any street protesting Wall Street).  Peace and Love

s5thomps's avatars5thomps

Congrats to the winner! I'm sure that she is glad the decided to buy the powerball ticket. Like one of our more active LP members stated. "You don't hit the numbers, the numbers hit you!

"Got my sunshades on wating for the sun to shine my way. Everything evens up you just WAIT...for even a

garbage can gets a Steak!"                                Sun Smiley

JAY Z (Blueprint)

Jammboogie

Congrats Ms. Scruggs on your win!!!!...I am so glad that you will share your winnings and you are a special person to share your winnings.The Lord loves a cheerful giver. After all the earth is the Lords and the fullness therefore..nothing really belongs to us. God bless you and your family.

jkash's avatarjkash

Quote: Originally posted by Jammboogie on Oct 6, 2011

Congrats Ms. Scruggs on your win!!!!...I am so glad that you will share your winnings and you are a special person to share your winnings.The Lord loves a cheerful giver. After all the earth is the Lords and the fullness therefore..nothing really belongs to us. God bless you and your family.

Well said jammboogie I am so happy for her. she even looks happy dont she.and I really love the fact that she wants to give back and make others  happy too.I wish that I 

could see the look on everyone faces when she build their new homes. This story really touched me because thats all I really want to do is help my mother and grandmother

and others that really need help. there's  alot of folks in need right here in our own back yards of this usa, congrats Ms.Sruggs and may God bless you.

businatihaba

Hi LP members, I am a long time follower of this blog but a newly registered member. I want to register my joy for this lady. She deserved the money and from the story I can tell she will put it to good use.

On another note. I have a question for you LP members. Has anyone ever played the European lottery, specifically the Euromillions?  Is the website for buying the tickets legit? Is it legal for anyone in America to play this lottery? Your responses would be much appreciated.

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on Oct 6, 2011

I am glad someone young won the jackpot and it sure seemed like a lucky month for ethnic folk (NY guy winning Mega).  But there is not enough money in the world to address all the "wants" of people and she is in no way obligated to address ALL of the needs of other people.  Just ignore the pleas for loans and gifts and manage your winnings smartly.  This is the only hope and change we can believe in under this current administration, so hopefully my hope and change will come soon in the next coming weeks through PB, MM, or state lotteries (hey, I am not picky and I don't have a guaranteed $400K per year job like someone does).  If my hope and change does not come this way, I will find a way to make multi-millions (so no you won't find me on any street protesting Wall Street).  Peace and Love

Young?! The woman is 44, which is not 80, but it sure isn't 20 either. Hell, she can be some kid's grandmother. It doesn't look like she has any kids, but she can be a grandmother.

TigerAngel's avatarTigerAngel

Yes, I learned the hard way a long time ago to always keep the mistake ticket!!!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by TigerAngel on Oct 14, 2011

Yes, I learned the hard way a long time ago to always keep the mistake ticket!!!

Thankfully, I learned that one the good way a long time ago, with a $500 win on a Pick3 that the clerk punched in wrong.

I always take the mistakes.

ConstantlyB's avatarConstantlyB

Reminds me of a song I heard on the radio going to work(sanging: It's your season ....to be blessed...GOD made you a promise...and you passed the test. When the windows of heaven ...pour you out a blessing...it's your season to be blessed)

CONGRATULATIONS to Kathy Scruggs and her family. She has a sweet and giving spirit.....I just love stories like these.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Simba774 on Oct 11, 2011

Young?! The woman is 44, which is not 80, but it sure isn't 20 either. Hell, she can be some kid's grandmother. It doesn't look like she has any kids, but she can be a grandmother.

When you get to be tiggs' age, you'll consider somebody that's 44 years old a punk kid who's still wet behind the ears.

Slick Nick's avatarSlick Nick

I bought a mistake once , a lotto ticket, and I made I think 78 dollars. Someone had purchased it then didn't want it. But this story also reminds me of the big Mega millions jackpot here in New York a few months ago. Where the guy was running a group lottery and someone cut in front of him. He didnt say anything and the quick picks he bought were the winners. You may also remember that there was i of his coworkers that opted not to play that day. I bet to this day he is still spitting nails. What? Does anyone know if the group gave him anything?

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story