Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 1:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Texas approves $2 Powerball game

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Raven62.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
bobby623's avatar - abstract
San Angelo, Texas
United States
Member #1097
January 31, 2003
1405 Posts
Posted: October 19, 2011, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

TEXAS LOTTERY COMMISSION APPROVES NEW

POWERBALL® GAME RULE

Bigger Jackpots, Better Odds, More Chances to Win $1 Million

(AUSTIN) – The three-member Texas Lottery Commission unanimously approved game rule changes for

Powerball ® during a meeting held today at Texas Lottery® headquarters in Austin. Bigger starting

grand/jackpot prizes, better odds of winning and more chances to win $1 million will set this new version of

the game apart from the original. The price will also increase from $1 to $2 per play.

The first drawing under the new rule is expected to occur on January 18, 2012, and

Powerball players in Texas will be able to purchase tickets for the updated game beginning on January 15.

Starting jackpots for the game will double to $40 million.

A matrix change will also provide better odds of winning in the enhanced Powerball game.

Players will continue to choose five numbers from one to 59, but the pool of Powerball numbers will drop from 39 to 35.

Odds of winning the grand/jackpot prize will improve to one in 175,223,510, and overall odds of winning any

prize will improve to one in 32.

“After reviewing the changes proposed by the Multi-State Lottery Association, which runs Powerball

, we feel that the new game will benefit Texas Lottery players and retailers, and more importantly, we hope it will

provide increased revenues for the Foundation School Fund,” said Texas Lottery Commission Chair Mary Ann

Williamson.

Perhaps the most exciting aspect of the new Powerball will be more opportunities for players

to win $1 million or more. The second-tier prize, awarded for matching all five numbers

but not the Powerball number, will increase from $200,000 to $1 million.

Players will also be able to participate in the revamped Power Play® feature for an extra $1 per play.

Power Play will now offer set increases for non-grand/jackpot prizes,

including the chance to win $2 million for the second-tier prize.

“We are excited to provide the enhanced Powerball

game in Texas,” said Texas Lottery Commission Executive

Director Gary Grief. “By introducing this new game at a $2 price point, we are able to emulate our successful

instant ticket strategy of providing a range of games at varying price points. Players who prefer to spend $1

per play will still be able to participate in the Lotto Texas and Mega Millions

drawing games.”

###

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: October 19, 2011, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

"Players who prefer to spend $1 per play will still be able to participate in the Lotto Texas and Mega Millions drawing games.”

Yeah and then how long before Mega Millions goes to $2?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1958 Posts
      Posted: October 20, 2011, 5:07 am - IP Logged

I think the change sucks. I like being able to buy 5 lines for $5.

Gonna win.Big Smile

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
        Member #32537
        February 12, 2006
        698 Posts
        Posted: October 20, 2011, 7:52 am - IP Logged

this is not breaking news texas LOL.

i just see it as Playing current 2 bucks price for chance at 1 million  is now 2bucks anyway

none thing has changed, other then we get forced to buy into the current 2 buck powerplay,  and giving the 3 buck powers even more money for lower prizes rofl.

at lest the jackpot thro now gets "almust" double the amount thro.

i think looking at the math of powerball people,  it looks like we could indeed see a lot more 200+ jackpots, as it grow a lot faster.

their math:

"The current 59/39 game drops 32.5288 cents per play to the cash jackpot prize pool.  In the new 59/35 game, the contribution will be 63.9512 cents per play.  The $1 million second prize (Match 5) is funded with 19.4038 cents per play.  The third most expensive prize is the bottom one ($4 for Match 0+1), taking 7.2194 cents per play  The other six prize levels take up the rest of the prize pool."

that's 90 cent's for just 3 must costly levels of prize pool.      per 2 bucks,   just see it as, you pay the lottery 1 buck in profit and 1 buck goes to prizes, for ever 2 bucks you spend.

hell with people buying 5 ,10,20 bucks worth of Instant ("Scratch-Off") Games    i don't see issue with 2 bucks now that i had time to think it over.

long as mega millions don't change to 2 bucks also, we have a nice balance,  national 1 buck and national 2 bucks,  and if they ever get that national 5 buck game out, we have a nice round out.

the worst we can fear is powerball jackpot  do hit 200 m often and sells over all are way up" so a good thing in the end" i love high jackpot's!

, then you can make a good bet thinking mega millions will follow the money to 2 buck game change also, am sure their under a wait and see  how things work out

and i think Louisiana  is going to join mega millions right when powerball changes to 2 bucks so their players sure have national 1 buck game along with their current pb.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5761 Posts
          Posted: October 20, 2011, 8:21 am - IP Logged

I knew The Commissioners were going to approve this because it they had to if thet wanted to keep Powerball in Texas. Texas is set up where if there is any kind of rule change in any game, there has to be a public comment period (which in this case I don't believe anyone showed up to comment), then at a subsequent meeting they vote on the proposed rule change.

I'm sure some people don't like the added cost. To me it doesn't matter because I play the extra buck for the powerplay and megaplier on Mega Millions, hoping to just hit the million dollars.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            51138 Posts
            Posted: October 20, 2011, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

"Players who prefer to spend $1 per play will still be able to participate in the Lotto Texas and Mega Millions drawing games.”

Yeah and then how long before Mega Millions goes to $2?

Not Long! LOL

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!