Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Did you hear the one about a man who walked into a bar

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Iwannawinbig.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Iwannawinbig's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg
Commack, NY
United States
Member #118773
November 7, 2011
74 Posts
Posted: November 16, 2011, 9:33 am - IP Logged

here on LI, played some lottery game there, won in the thousands and drank and left his winning ticket right there on the bar and the barmaid took it and had her cousin, or some relative go turn it in and they split it, buying furniture, clothes etc?

Who leaves a winning ticket on a bar??? Now see those ladies could had lied and said he offered it as a tip to the barmaid, hey it happens, boozers, babes, and big bucks often can be a bad mix. But they arrested the women and supposedly the lottery did give him his winnings after much media reporting on the incident.

It's almost like that VA huge jackpot winner who would go to strip clubs with his briefcase filled with tens of thousands of dollars in his car, which every one knew about and well duh a barmaid or stripper and her bouncer accomplice drugged, supposedly, that guy and broke his car window and stole the briefcase. What kind of fool carries around cash in a briefcase???? And then goes to a nudie bar and does not expect something bad will happen? He probably is the same guy who thinks the lap dancing stripper really does like him, bwaaaaahaha!

So if you saw a winning ticket sitting on a bar would you turn it in or keep it??? I would look for the ticket owner, well I would sit there waiting to see if anyone screams, "I lost my winning ticket!!" Since if you walked around a bar asking people if they lost their winning lottery ticket I would surmise 99.99 % would say yes. Same with if I found a ticket on the street and found out it was a huge winner, I would lay low and wait to see if there is anything in the media about someone losing as ticket as well as I would call the lottery main office and ask to speak to the person in the highest position there and ask them if anyone claimed they lost a ticket in NY and I would ask where they were from and where they thought they lost the ticket.  I believe very bad energy is attached to money that is not morally and legally yours.MadRed Devil

If you're mean and angry go away, I am here just to play.Banana

VAHopeful's avatar - winifrid
    Virginia
    United States
    Member #116536
    September 13, 2011
    51 Posts
    Posted: November 16, 2011, 10:39 am - IP Logged

What are the lost and found precidents for lottery tickets? I dunno. I can't see how it's illegal to pick up a lottery ticket off the sidewalk and cash it, though, any more than it would be illegal to find a $5 bill and use it to buy milk. I agree the right thing to do if you find a winning lottery ticket and have no idea whose it is, would be to contact the lottery and let them investigate to find the legit' owner. Chances are the legitamite winner, once found, will be grateful and give a reward out of their winnings, and if the lottery can't find the person who purchased it, you can make an honest claim to it as the bearer. Not worth the bad karma or legal drama to try to cash it otherwise. Monkeys paws and tell-tale hearts, you know?

Litebets27's avatar - power
      Maryland
      United States
      Member #10465
      January 14, 2005
      6065 Posts
      Posted: November 16, 2011, 10:44 am - IP Logged

What are the lost and found precidents for lottery tickets? I dunno. I can't see how it's illegal to pick up a lottery ticket off the sidewalk and cash it, though, any more than it would be illegal to find a $5 bill and use it to buy milk. I agree the right thing to do if you find a winning lottery ticket and have no idea whose it is, would be to contact the lottery and let them investigate to find the legit' owner. Chances are the legitamite winner, once found, will be grateful and give a reward out of their winnings, and if the lottery can't find the person who purchased it, you can make an honest claim to it as the bearer. Not worth the bad karma or legal drama to try to cash it otherwise. Monkeys paws and tell-tale hearts, you know?

I like your thoughts and  reasoning on the subject VAHopeful.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Virginia
        United States
        Member #116536
        September 13, 2011
        51 Posts
        Posted: November 16, 2011, 10:47 am - IP Logged

I like your thoughts and  reasoning on the subject VAHopeful.

Thanks =)

ChaosX's avatar - dnf
          Morris County, NJ
          United States
          Member #114357
          July 29, 2011
          656 Posts
          Posted: November 16, 2011, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

Did he sign his ticket?  Doesn't sound like it.

They tell to sign your ticket from the moment you purchase it.

That's all I can say about this.

"If you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer J. Simpson

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
            A long and winding road
            United States
            Member #17084
            June 10, 2005
            4523 Posts
            Posted: November 16, 2011, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

I am going to have to assume that its an instant ticket that you are using as an example because otherwise I would have to go check to see if they are the winning numbers.

Secondly I wouldnt be in a bar or any other place that is questionable so its 99.9% doubtful that I'd find it there.

Thirdly The question really is saying...are you a moral person or a reasonable person. I am morally reasonable and would no doubt Turn it over to the lottery with the finders keepers rule in mind. That I found it and its mine to keep if unclaimed or the person keeled over from the shock *grin*

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Commack, NY
              United States
              Member #118773
              November 7, 2011
              74 Posts
              Posted: November 17, 2011, 8:39 am - IP Logged

I agree with Litebet's opinion about your response.

And I do recall a story of a very poor couple, years ago who bought a ticket, it was the winning one, somehow it fell out of their hand into the parking lot, they realized it was missing later, went back to find it, it was gone, I think it was gone in a matter of maybe 15 or so minutes. They were devastated, someone found it and cashed it in, they found out and called the lottery commision, news etc and the ones who had cashed it in said essentially, "Tough! It was not signed, so it's ours!" Wow so heartless and greedy!! And they knew it was that couples' since they were there right away trying to find their lost ticket. How people like that can look themselves in the mirror and live with themselves is beyond me.

But I do not know what "monkey paws and tell-tale hearts" means. I am guessing it is from some moraliastic tale or story, but I am unfamiliar with it.

Commack, NY
                United States
                Member #118773
                November 7, 2011
                74 Posts
                Posted: November 17, 2011, 8:51 am - IP Logged

Did he sign his ticket?  Doesn't sound like it.

They tell to sign your ticket from the moment you purchase it.

That's all I can say about this.

I Googled it, it happened over the summer, it happened In Holbrook, not too far from where I live and the man won that ticket at some machine in the bar and he had to insert his license into it to verify he was the winner, and he was shocked that a someone, much less a woman was able to redeem it since he had proof in the machine of his license being photographed and proof  on his reciept too ( hmm why he made sure to keep the reciept safe and not the ticket is strange).

But what dopey women, they will have to pay back the money, be fined and now have a criminal record, and any future employers will see the record and really who would want to hire a thief? So that was worth buying some tacky furniture and clothes???

Commack, NY
                  United States
                  Member #118773
                  November 7, 2011
                  74 Posts
                  Posted: November 17, 2011, 8:56 am - IP Logged

I am going to have to assume that its an instant ticket that you are using as an example because otherwise I would have to go check to see if they are the winning numbers.

Secondly I wouldnt be in a bar or any other place that is questionable so its 99.9% doubtful that I'd find it there.

Thirdly The question really is saying...are you a moral person or a reasonable person. I am morally reasonable and would no doubt Turn it over to the lottery with the finders keepers rule in mind. That I found it and its mine to keep if unclaimed or the person keeled over from the shock *grin*

Yes I guess the ticket was one of those Instant winner kinds.

See I saw the news report way back when and they showed the bar and it looked like a nice place, not some sleazy, skanky boozeshack in a bad neighborhood. And the owner of the bar was apologetic and said the barmaid was a new hire there. She is the one to blame not the bar, but it is nice he apologized.

Hehe I like your last sentence, cute!

United States
                    Member #111186
                    May 20, 2011
                    344 Posts
                    Posted: November 17, 2011, 9:38 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I agree with most ... I would definately try and find the rightful owner... as I would feel terrible if I 'took' someone's ticket!!

Like was said; Bad Energy can be associated w/making a move like that.

ChaosX's avatar - dnf
                      Morris County, NJ
                      United States
                      Member #114357
                      July 29, 2011
                      656 Posts
                      Posted: November 17, 2011, 11:23 am - IP Logged

I Googled it, it happened over the summer, it happened In Holbrook, not too far from where I live and the man won that ticket at some machine in the bar and he had to insert his license into it to verify he was the winner, and he was shocked that a someone, much less a woman was able to redeem it since he had proof in the machine of his license being photographed and proof  on his reciept too ( hmm why he made sure to keep the reciept safe and not the ticket is strange).

But what dopey women, they will have to pay back the money, be fined and now have a criminal record, and any future employers will see the record and really who would want to hire a thief? So that was worth buying some tacky furniture and clothes???

Ah I see, totally different kind of ticket then.  Totally different story then if he already verified it with his license. 

I agree about the woman then, lol, really dumb move on her part.

"If you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer J. Simpson

Virginia
                        United States
                        Member #116536
                        September 13, 2011
                        51 Posts
                        Posted: November 17, 2011, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

But I do not know what "monkey paws and tell-tale hearts" means. I am guessing it is from some moraliastic tale or story, but I am unfamiliar with it.

Really? That surprises me. They're both short stories written 100+ years ago.

If you google "Monkey's Paw" you should be able to find the story written by W. W. Jacobs. It's about a couple who obtain a mumified monkey's paw that's been spelled to grant three people three wishes each, but the moral of the story is nothing comes without its price. Right there with genie-granted wishes (almost always granted with a twist) and Stephen King's "Pet Cemetary" (be careful in exactly what you wish for - or maybe some wishes shouldn't be wished for).

The "Tell-Tale Heart" was a short-story, written by Edgar Allen Poe, about a man who commits murder, and then his guilt drives him insane. It was made into a movie (old movie) starring Vincent Price.

NASHVILLE, TENN
                          United States
                          Member #33372
                          February 20, 2006
                          1044 Posts
                          Posted: November 18, 2011, 10:37 am - IP Logged

I found a winning lottery ticket in the parking lot. 

Would the owner please form a line to the left?   Thank you.

Commack, NY
                            United States
                            Member #118773
                            November 7, 2011
                            74 Posts
                            Posted: November 18, 2011, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I agree with most ... I would definately try and find the rightful owner... as I would feel terrible if I 'took' someone's ticket!!

Like was said; Bad Energy can be associated w/making a move like that.

Yes bad energy and also most people would fear somehow they would get caught and what could be worse than being caught, well having your mugshot shown on the local news, that would be way worse uh oh! Not a good time, that's for sure!

Commack, NY
                              United States
                              Member #118773
                              November 7, 2011
                              74 Posts
                              Posted: November 18, 2011, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

Ah I see, totally different kind of ticket then.  Totally different story then if he already verified it with his license. 

I agree about the woman then, lol, really dumb move on her part.

Yeah. But doesn't it also make you wonder about the cashiers or whatever they are called, the ones who make you fill out the forms and give you your winnings, doesn't it make you wonder how a woman with a different last name than the male winner was able to get that money since his ID was in the computer to begin with? Someone was asleep at the wheel that day!

But how humilating for those women to have to repay all the money, baaaahaha to me that is pretty funny. I bet they had to go collect and return cans, beg off of friends and relatives, look in couches and chairs for lost change  etc to repay the lottery.  I doubt the furniture store would take back everything and give them the money back, more like a credit, but I might be wrong. But even that is funny if the furniture store people saw the women on tv and here they came bringing back their ill gotten furniture. Talk about the Walk of Shame.