Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A bad idea for a winner

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 5 years ago by sully16.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Inland Empire
United States
Member #118116
October 22, 2011
322 Posts
Posted: December 8, 2011, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

Probably the worst idea for a jackpot winner is to start a business with his/her prize.

And now I am thinking about it.

There was a publishing company named Crossgen years ago. Some guy made millions out of IT business and started his own comic book studio. The result? It went belly up because it didn't diversify the sources on the incomes. Unfortunately, the studio chose to use the film liscence as the main source of money and...Well, the rest is history. Their artworks were top-notch though. I bought some paperback collections for a bargain price years ago. And now the MM jackpot amount is exactly 100 millions... And I am thinking about doing the same stupid venture.

I've always wanted to be a landlord, managing my own properties and make comfortable incomes out of some quality properties. Well, that plan has not changed. I just decided to use the rental incomes to finance my publishing business. If rental incomes hold well, then I guess it will take a while for the business to go belly up, or eventually break even. Maybe it can be seen as an expensive hobby.

taiwanlottery's avatar - bonesonfire
    Taichung
    Taiwan
    Member #114116
    July 24, 2011
    2384 Posts
    Posted: December 8, 2011, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

I would say, if at all possible, just do what you enjoy doing! But be smart with your funds!

Good Luck to You!

Inland Empire
      United States
      Member #118116
      October 22, 2011
      322 Posts
      Posted: December 9, 2011, 2:43 am - IP Logged

I would say, if at all possible, just do what you enjoy doing! But be smart with your funds!

Good Luck to You!

Gee thanks. I really want to work with a group of talented and creative people and I want to pay them the right amount of salary. I don't want to exploit talented people for chump changes.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19900 Posts
        Posted: December 9, 2011, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

Probably the worst idea for a jackpot winner is to start a business with his/her prize.

And now I am thinking about it.

There was a publishing company named Crossgen years ago. Some guy made millions out of IT business and started his own comic book studio. The result? It went belly up because it didn't diversify the sources on the incomes. Unfortunately, the studio chose to use the film liscence as the main source of money and...Well, the rest is history. Their artworks were top-notch though. I bought some paperback collections for a bargain price years ago. And now the MM jackpot amount is exactly 100 millions... And I am thinking about doing the same stupid venture.

I've always wanted to be a landlord, managing my own properties and make comfortable incomes out of some quality properties. Well, that plan has not changed. I just decided to use the rental incomes to finance my publishing business. If rental incomes hold well, then I guess it will take a while for the business to go belly up, or eventually break even. Maybe it can be seen as an expensive hobby.

And now the MM jackpot amount is exactly 100 millions... And I am thinking about doing the same stupid venture.

You're probably not the only one making plans to spend that $100 millions.  I would wish you "good luck" if I wasn't making similar plans myself.  I'll probably take the annuity, getting rid of all that money every year before the next check comes would be all the work I could handle since I'm retired and the yearly checks would be more than twice what I made my whole working career.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
          Member #52345
          May 21, 2007
          2679 Posts
          Posted: December 9, 2011, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

And now the MM jackpot amount is exactly 100 millions... And I am thinking about doing the same stupid venture.

You're probably not the only one making plans to spend that $100 millions.  I would wish you "good luck" if I wasn't making similar plans myself.  I'll probably take the annuity, getting rid of all that money every year before the next check comes would be all the work I could handle since I'm retired and the yearly checks would be more than twice what I made my whole working career.

no doubt its going to be an interesting christmas and or life full of interesting probabilities if someone gets that lucky tonight Big Grin Santa

I hope its me .......

Good Luck everyone

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3316 Posts
            Posted: December 9, 2011, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

dont worry, just let it be known you have trouble spending money, people will come form miles around to help you out.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3502 Posts
              Posted: December 10, 2011, 1:01 am - IP Logged

Lottery winner or not, any plan to spend all of your money too long before you die is a bad plan. If you clear 40 million from the lottery and want to spend 20 million or so on a business or hobby it's a fairly safe bet that the remainder will last the rest of your life if you're sensible about what you do with it. Just figure out how much you "need" to keep and the rest is spending money. YMMV, but I'd plan on conservative investments and living for a long time.

Inland Empire
                United States
                Member #118116
                October 22, 2011
                322 Posts
                Posted: December 11, 2011, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Oh no. I am not spending away the prize money. I will invest most of the winning to income-generating investment, then I will use the income stream from the investments to run the comic book business.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                  Mcminnville, Oregon
                  United States
                  Member #3013
                  December 13, 2003
                  3092 Posts
                  Posted: December 11, 2011, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

When I get lucky in the lottery I do not plan on starting a business.  But I would like to find a good bank and have someone help me invest the money that I won so I could live comfortably and not go broke over the next thirty years.  I figure I am 36 now and I could live until I am 66 so I would want my winnings to last me that long.  I want safe investments too not ones were I will lose my money quickly but ones that will go for a long time.  I have been debating since the jackpot is over $100 million for tuesday that I could take the annuity for 26 years.  But I know that cash is king so $40 million after taxes is a nice prize too.  I guess all I have to do is win one of these jackpots before the years is up.-weshar75

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: December 11, 2011, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

When I get lucky in the lottery I do not plan on starting a business.  But I would like to find a good bank and have someone help me invest the money that I won so I could live comfortably and not go broke over the next thirty years.  I figure I am 36 now and I could live until I am 66 so I would want my winnings to last me that long.  I want safe investments too not ones were I will lose my money quickly but ones that will go for a long time.  I have been debating since the jackpot is over $100 million for tuesday that I could take the annuity for 26 years.  But I know that cash is king so $40 million after taxes is a nice prize too.  I guess all I have to do is win one of these jackpots before the years is up.-weshar75

66 isn't very old nowadays weshar, I hope you live a lot longer than that.

Good luck!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                      Mcminnville, Oregon
                      United States
                      Member #3013
                      December 13, 2003
                      3092 Posts
                      Posted: December 12, 2011, 12:11 am - IP Logged

Good luck!

Thanks RDGRNR!-weshar75

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                        Gurnee, Illinois
                        United States
                        Member #49731
                        February 12, 2007
                        919 Posts
                        Posted: December 12, 2011, 1:06 am - IP Logged

I would have to say that starting a business is perhaps the best idea a lottery winner could make.  The problem some businesses have is they are too niche, have too much competition, or are not well positioned for success.  As a lottery winner, I would only commit a certain percentage to any business venture.  I would consult with an attorney to properly shield the remaining proceeds from any lawsuits and invest conservatively.  So should business go belly up, I would not be destitute.  Above all, I would do extra due diligence before making any business move.

The worst move a lottery winner can make is to just plan to spend the entire annuity in each given year.  Usually, you find winners that do this scrambling to find ways to generate the kind of income they had been enjoying during the annuity period as the time for the last annuity payments approach.  That is a recipe for disaster and disappointment.

On a side note, I wonder how close is Bad Duke to being a billionaire?

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Los Angeles, CA
                          United States
                          Member #97910
                          September 26, 2010
                          278 Posts
                          Posted: December 12, 2011, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

As long as you set up some sort of financial safety net, I don't see any issues with using a portion of your prize money towards starting a business

sully16's avatar - sharan
                            Ringleader
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #81740
                            October 28, 2009
                            42070 Posts
                            Posted: December 14, 2011, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Good luck!

so true,  I tell people I'm 5 years older than what I am , so they tell me how good I look for my age, hehehehe. feels good to get such nice compliments.LOL

HyperBe Happy.