Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Been Playing Scratch Offs But Fear I Have Been Throwing Winnings Away...

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 5 years ago by James1.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #120281
December 15, 2011
35 Posts
Posted: December 15, 2011, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

I just read this old post....

"

Do you think some jackpots get tossed and never claimed ? i.e someone who only checks the code buys one and tosses it out when they scratch a losing code ?

Wasnt that the case on a Gold Rush ticket a few years ago, where a homeless guy found the $500K winner in the trash ?

Maybe its the reason they dont publish info on all winners .."

What in the world is this post about? With scratch offs you simply match number to number. What is this about codes???  The way I have been scratching my cards is this way...

I first scratch off the winning number/s   Then I begin scratching the top portion to reveal each possible match.  When I have matched, then I scratch the bottom area of the matching number to reveal the prize.  I don't bother to scratch off the other prizes since they are not winners anyway.  I only reveal the prizes of the matching numbers. So what is this about codes such as NEW and LVH and other codes?  I have not ever seen anything like that.  Only numerical abbreviations underneath each number. If the numbers match that's all that matters isn't it???  I am obviously missing something but have no idea what it is.  Could someone help this newbie out?

Thanks

Miami, Florida
    United States
    Member #111795
    June 2, 2011
    581 Posts
    Posted: December 15, 2011, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

I just read this old post....

"

Do you think some jackpots get tossed and never claimed ? i.e someone who only checks the code buys one and tosses it out when they scratch a losing code ?

Wasnt that the case on a Gold Rush ticket a few years ago, where a homeless guy found the $500K winner in the trash ?

Maybe its the reason they dont publish info on all winners .."

What in the world is this post about? With scratch offs you simply match number to number. What is this about codes???  The way I have been scratching my cards is this way...

I first scratch off the winning number/s   Then I begin scratching the top portion to reveal each possible match.  When I have matched, then I scratch the bottom area of the matching number to reveal the prize.  I don't bother to scratch off the other prizes since they are not winners anyway.  I only reveal the prizes of the matching numbers. So what is this about codes such as NEW and LVH and other codes?  I have not ever seen anything like that.  Only numerical abbreviations underneath each number. If the numbers match that's all that matters isn't it???  I am obviously missing something but have no idea what it is.  Could someone help this newbie out?

Thanks

Joyceepoo, the codes are three letters that appear throughout the actual play area. Here in Florida they go left to right.  For instance, a hundred dollar winner is HUN.  The H, U, and N  might be close together, or they may be a few rows apart.  If you can check out a picture of a ticket in the "post your ticket results" thread, you may see a winning ticket and you'll see the "codes" that we are referring to.  Generally, CVW, NEW, FTW, EYF, etc... are losing "codes"..... BUT, they will also be the codes that appear for a winner of greater than $500.  Some players automattically see the letter "C" and throw the ticket away since it is most likely a losing ticket. I've never hit more than $500....  usually as soon as I see a "C", I know it's a loser, but I always continue scratching just to be sure. Check out some pictures, and compare your next ticket.... you'll see 3 letters whether it's a winner or loser, and the winners usually are an abbreviation of the winning amount.

United States
      Member #120281
      December 15, 2011
      35 Posts
      Posted: December 15, 2011, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

Does this apply to the Season Greeting scratch offs and the Resolutions?  I have won over $270 this week in the past 4 days and have never seen anything like that.  Do you have to scratch the ticket clean to reveal those?  It seems that as long as the numbers match what does it matter about codes???Confused

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #74096
        May 2, 2009
        22893 Posts
        Posted: December 15, 2011, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

The codes and winning do not have anything to do with each other in the way you're thinking they do. It's part of an ever changing security measure.

We've been through more than a few in PA...they now use a scan to win box for new instant tickets. They've mostly done away with letter codes,

I like the older ones that are still out there where I can check a code, at least you knew you had a winner by seeing letters: H, T, N, S, X, I, R, E etc.

Losers were: B, K, P, Q and a couple others.

If you're one of those players that play the game through and take the time to make sure you have a winning match either with numbers or

making words or whatever it is, then good but there is always the chance you miss something. I would just make sure that you're scanning your

ticket and waiting for the machine to tell you just how much you've won. Sometimes with some games, you don't see another win and you've

actually won more.

There are some people that scratched to find just the codes and didn't play the games or take the time to match numbers...they just look for

winning letter codes. These days, I've seen people scratch the box and run it through the scanner without even scratching any part of the play

area. I believe one of the reasons, which was weak at best, for changing things was to make people play their tickets. Duh. Once bought, you

should be able to do with it what the heck you want.....blow your nose on it, start a fire with it or NOT play it and just scan it. LOL

To find the letters (I don't know what state you're in but I assume they are still using them where you are) you do have to scratch the whole

play area - they are usually scattered throughout that area.

Just play like you are don't worry about the codes, scan your tickets to double check things and good luck to you!

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
          Florida
          United States
          Member #104435
          January 14, 2011
          2244 Posts
          Posted: December 15, 2011, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

sometimes i see people in florida just scratch the code and if its a known 'losing' code they just toss the ticket and dont even have the clerks scan them. of course we have all heard about people picking up these tics and finding a big winner. 

sometimes i accidently reveal a "H" or "F" while scratching and proceed to just scratch the code in hopes its "HUN" or "FHN". if its a loser i get it scanned.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

United States
            Member #120281
            December 15, 2011
            35 Posts
            Posted: December 16, 2011, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

Thank you so much for your help. Now I understand so much better. BTW, I live in Florida.  I have always scanned my winners and thrown away the losers.  Thats because I simply go by the matching number in my Season Greetings scratch offs.  There are only 5 numbers for me to scratch off and there's no fear of me missing one...believe me. Big Grin  The codes always appear under the number as an abbreviation of that number.

United States
              Member #120281
              December 15, 2011
              35 Posts
              Posted: December 16, 2011, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

You are right James.  I have been doing that.  I play Seasons Greetings mostly. There's only 5 numbers to scratch off. I have been playing by matching the numbers.  If the numbers don't match. It's obvious to me that I haven't won anything. So why take it back to the clerk and have it scanned when it's a loser?  Surely the codes will never go contrary to the numbers will they?

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
                Florida
                United States
                Member #104435
                January 14, 2011
                2244 Posts
                Posted: December 16, 2011, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

You are right James.  I have been doing that.  I play Seasons Greetings mostly. There's only 5 numbers to scratch off. I have been playing by matching the numbers.  If the numbers don't match. It's obvious to me that I haven't won anything. So why take it back to the clerk and have it scanned when it's a loser?  Surely the codes will never go contrary to the numbers will they?

They wont indeed unless its Bingo or crossword. I just scratch the code on those, but also scan them.

2014 Highest Winner: $500