Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 4:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New York hit the Jackpot again...WTF!!

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 5 years ago by azares.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
Florida
United States
Member #61435
May 22, 2008
910 Posts
Posted: December 28, 2011, 4:43 am - IP Logged

Wonder if it's some needy investment bankers already making 100 million per year with help from a bailout or two? Confused Confused Bang Head Bang Head Red Devil

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
    Member #3792
    February 21, 2004
    198 Posts
    Posted: December 28, 2011, 5:12 am - IP Logged

yeah here is some fun facts: 

in 2011 NY won the powerball twice; January and June

in 2011 NY won the mega millions three times; March, April, and December

md
      United States
      Member #14047
      April 20, 2005
      580 Posts
      Posted: December 28, 2011, 10:17 am - IP Logged

Yeah, whever NY wins Im suspect of the rich getting richer.  There is no law against them getting richer, and their money spends to play like others.  But deep down I always hope that its a person/family who really are in need of a break through circumstance.

United States
        Member #106134
        February 13, 2011
        806 Posts
        Posted: December 28, 2011, 10:23 am - IP Logged

NY should be kicked out of MM and PB.  Let them have their own state jackpot game where they can win all the time.

People in NY must go to the C-Store with duffel bags full of $100 bills to buy their tickets or something.

taxijohn's avatar - odometer444
          Dutchess County, New York
          United States
          Member #8067
          October 22, 2004
          3240 Posts
          Posted: December 28, 2011, 10:32 am - IP Logged

It's simple factors. A) NY has a huge population = more ticket sales = more chances B) It's a huge welfare state. People cash their check from some kind of assistance and don't hesitate to throw $50 into the lottery.... I see it in the local bodega and dollar stores where I work all the time.

But hey who knows. If someone were to start a corporation or LLC with 50 investors, and it's purpose was to hit the lottery when it's over $50 Million, it's kind of like a lottery pool, but I'm sure there are some tax advantages.

GOD is great, beer is good and people are crazy! Crazy

"I don't look for the numbers, the numbers look for and sometimes find me..."

New York
            United States
            Member #103600
            January 4, 2011
            4129 Posts
            Posted: December 28, 2011, 10:33 am - IP Logged

kick NY out of the multi-state games? how much revenue towards the jackpot do you think NY'ers are contributing? I suspect that as a percentage, NY'ers win far less than dollars spent. The winning ticket was sold in a supermarket in a middle to lower-middle income neighborhood (but in the adjoining town to Rocky Point which sold a $165 million mega ticket in December 2009 or 2010). good luck to all with dreams of winning.

United States
              Member #106134
              February 13, 2011
              806 Posts
              Posted: December 28, 2011, 10:36 am - IP Logged

It's simple factors. A) NY has a huge population = more ticket sales = more chances B) It's a huge welfare state. People cash their check from some kind of assistance and don't hesitate to throw $50 into the lottery.... I see it in the local bodega and dollar stores where I work all the time.

But hey who knows. If someone were to start a corporation or LLC with 50 investors, and it's purpose was to hit the lottery when it's over $50 Million, it's kind of like a lottery pool, but I'm sure there are some tax advantages.

That last part is an interesting idea.  However, the odds are so long that you could have 50 investors each put $1,000 per month in PB or MM and none of you would ever live to see a jackpot win.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3316 Posts
                Posted: December 28, 2011, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

there is already suh schemes,but the peope who run it always take a cut. and you always run the risk of fraud, as with all investments.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                  Member #28409
                  December 15, 2005
                  1198 Posts
                  Posted: December 28, 2011, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

I was just sad to see it hit before the New Year's weekend. I was really hoping it would have rolled to  that point just so I could be right about something for a change. Clown

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                    upstate NY
                    United States
                    Member #108791
                    March 31, 2011
                    549 Posts
                    Posted: January 2, 2012, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

yeah here is some fun facts: 

in 2011 NY won the powerball twice; January and June

in 2011 NY won the mega millions three times; March, April, and December

And none of those winners was me.  Frown

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                      upstate NY
                      United States
                      Member #108791
                      March 31, 2011
                      549 Posts
                      Posted: January 2, 2012, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

NY should be kicked out of MM and PB.  Let them have their own state jackpot game where they can win all the time.

People in NY must go to the C-Store with duffel bags full of $100 bills to buy their tickets or something.

Actually, we do have our own jackpot game, simply called Lotto.  Its popularity has declined greatly since NY joined PB and MM, and as a result the jackpot has decreased, leading to a vicious cycle.  The jackpots used to be pretty robust, but now they start at $3M and only go up $500K at a time.  It takes forever just to get it up to the $12M Mega minimum.

United States
                        Member #94616
                        July 24, 2010
                        4735 Posts
                        Posted: January 3, 2012, 5:28 am - IP Logged

Actually, we do have our own jackpot game, simply called Lotto.  Its popularity has declined greatly since NY joined PB and MM, and as a result the jackpot has decreased, leading to a vicious cycle.  The jackpots used to be pretty robust, but now they start at $3M and only go up $500K at a time.  It takes forever just to get it up to the $12M Mega minimum.

Yea, it was too bad about LOTTO.  I used to really like it.  They also dropped the BONUS play for $1.00

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
                          NEW YORK
                          United States
                          Member #90535
                          April 29, 2010
                          12118 Posts
                          Posted: January 6, 2012, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

"TO HAVE A LOTTERY TICKET IS TO HAVE A TALISMAN OF POSSIBLE WEALTH."

We are very spiritual in New York City when it comes to building wealth.You should move to New York City, and we will instill the dream of wealth in you.

NEW YORK
                            United States
                            Member #90535
                            April 29, 2010
                            12118 Posts
                            Posted: January 6, 2012, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

You are just upset that we are not playing that rigged lotto game which was won in upstate New York before mega millions and powerball.New York City players spoke.

NEW YORK
                              United States
                              Member #90535
                              April 29, 2010
                              12118 Posts
                              Posted: January 6, 2012, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

New York is THE WALL STREET of lotteries.We have the money to spend on lottery tickets.Lotteries are about generating revenues and New York provide revenues like other states.