Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 4:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Changes

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Orlando, FL
United States
Member #115785
August 28, 2011
259 Posts
Posted: December 29, 2011, 11:12 am - IP Logged

Question. If no one wins Powerball, will Powerball automatically add 20 million to the jackpot or will it reset to the minimum 40 million Jackpot in a few weeks?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: December 29, 2011, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

They always have to add to it.

They don't reduce the pot when nobody wins. It always has to increase.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19900 Posts
      Posted: December 29, 2011, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

Question. If no one wins Powerball, will Powerball automatically add 20 million to the jackpot or will it reset to the minimum 40 million Jackpot in a few weeks?

They'll probably just add 32% of sales to the next jackpot and continue as they have in the past.  If it had been a completely new game then they might have done what others had done when ending an old game by rolling down the jackpot to the lower tier prizes. 

Ohio did that when they ended Lot'O Play and winners of the lower prize actually made some money since there wasn't a jackpot winner.  If PB was doing that, I would probably buy a $100 worth of tickets for the last game before the change.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

sunjune6's avatar - Lottery-010.jpg
        Atlanta,GA
        United States
        Member #79429
        September 1, 2009
        103 Posts
        Posted: January 2, 2012, 6:51 am - IP Logged

The price is now going up to $2 a ticket. I don't see how this is going to increase my chance of winning; but this is the spin on this change taking place on Jan 15th. I don't get it. The odds of winning will still be the same, but maybe less people will play. If they bought 10 tickets for $1.00; now they will only buy 5 tickets.

If people play the same amount of tickets; yes the prize will increase, but I don't get how this is going to increase my chance of winning.

If you think you can or if you think you can't you are right!

Today could be the day!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5759 Posts
          Posted: January 2, 2012, 9:29 am - IP Logged

The price is now going up to $2 a ticket. I don't see how this is going to increase my chance of winning; but this is the spin on this change taking place on Jan 15th. I don't get it. The odds of winning will still be the same, but maybe less people will play. If they bought 10 tickets for $1.00; now they will only buy 5 tickets.

If people play the same amount of tickets; yes the prize will increase, but I don't get how this is going to increase my chance of winning.

The odds are being reduced to about 175 million to 1. About the same odds as MM. The extra $2 will fund a larger second prize fro $200000 to $1000000. It's ok with me since I always play powerplay anyway. I won't pay an extra dollar after the change for the powerplay though.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10391 Posts
            Posted: January 2, 2012, 10:42 am - IP Logged

sunjune6,

The bottom matrix, the Powerball, is going from 39 numbers down to 35, thus the 'better chances of winning'.

It's still trying to find a needle in a mountian of haystacks, but it is lower odds.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
              Harbinger
              D.C./MD.
              United States
              Member #44103
              July 30, 2006
              5587 Posts
              Posted: January 2, 2012, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

It matters not to Quick Piggers!!!!!!!  Pay up swine!!!!!!!  The odds are better.

Release the pigs!!!!!!!!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
                Member #3792
                February 21, 2004
                198 Posts
                Posted: January 3, 2012, 5:46 am - IP Logged

im happy about the changes, matching 5 numbers gets u 1 million or with powerplay 2 million.  great!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5143 Posts
                  Posted: January 6, 2012, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

sunjune6,

The bottom matrix, the Powerball, is going from 39 numbers down to 35, thus the 'better chances of winning'.

It's still trying to find a needle in a mountian of haystacks, but it is lower odds.

thanks>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRR CORRECT

ABOUT the HAYSTACK>>>>>TOSS>>>>>>>>but, the LOTTEY HAS just DOUBLED THEIR "INCOME" $$$$$

THAT is a GOOD RETURN>>>>>>>>>>>>did U Double UR income>>>LAST YEAR????????????????

toss the only way 2 double ur income 4 2012 is 4u

2 HIT the jackpot44444.......>>>>>>2012>>>>$$$$

with a flick of a SWITCH.....government yes thats >>>>>>>>>>>

government can double their MONEY w/their game

(please remember>>>>>>>psykomo is CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)\Jack-in-the-Box

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                    Member #47420
                    November 4, 2006
                    3930 Posts
                    Posted: January 6, 2012, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

im happy about the changes, matching 5 numbers gets u 1 million or with powerplay 2 million.  great!

Not sure there is a power play when the change comes...

Pure luck

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: January 6, 2012, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

Yep, 3 bucks with Power Play, $2 without.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10391 Posts
                        Posted: January 7, 2012, 2:57 am - IP Logged

Just a thought here but you know, if you watch the drawings there sure are a lot more $200,000 winnners for 5 + 0 than there are $1,000,000 winners with the Powerplay.

I'm thinking most people don't play the extra buck which makes me wonder if the whole Powerplay thing was intended to make PB a $2 affair and considered a "flop". So now they're going to fix that and just get the $2 action by 'default'.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19900 Posts
                          Posted: January 7, 2012, 7:58 am - IP Logged

Just a thought here but you know, if you watch the drawings there sure are a lot more $200,000 winnners for 5 + 0 than there are $1,000,000 winners with the Powerplay.

I'm thinking most people don't play the extra buck which makes me wonder if the whole Powerplay thing was intended to make PB a $2 affair and considered a "flop". So now they're going to fix that and just get the $2 action by 'default'.

When players realize except playing for larger jackpots with $10M rollovers and winning $1M for matching 5+0, they didn't gain much for their extra dollar, they may think twice before buying the $2 ticket.  Payouts for a match 4+0 and lower will be the same as they are now with a $1 ticket. 

A $1 MM and a $2 PB ticket will pay $10K for a match 4+1 and lets face it, 95%+ of players never do any better than that.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                            Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23351 Posts
                            Posted: January 7, 2012, 8:01 am - IP Logged

It's all here:   http://www.lotterypost.com/news/240864

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7344 Posts
                              Posted: January 7, 2012, 9:49 am - IP Logged

Because of Powerplay lots of $200,000 winners are kicking themselves because for a buck more they would have won $1 million. But it really doesn't work like that because the Powerplay players are playing for the secondary prizes and the $1 players are getting more chances to win the jackpot. With the exception of matching 5 numbers, the secondary prizes are terrible in both MM and PB.

There are other $2 games; Kentucky has the $2 3 Line Lotto and has prizes for match 3, 4, 5, or 6 numbers on one of the 3 line and prizes for matching at least 5 numbers on all 3 lines. The multi-state Decades of Dollars is another.