Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lame idea or not?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 5 years ago by haymaker.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10353 Posts
Posted: December 31, 2011, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

This year Illinois put in those monitors that show winners, not just jackpot winners.

I'm still not comfortable with the idea that if you win something everyone who passes by one of these terminals in the state is going to know who you are and how much you won (it's not just jackpots, I don't know the minimum win to get your mug on there but it's definitely not just jackpots, includes scrathers)

Missouri isn't too far away for us and Kentucky is just a little further. I don't know is those states have those monitors, but even if they did, so what? No one there would know you.

I'm thinking this might work for those close to Iowa, Wisconsin, and Indiana, too.

So do you think it would be a lame idea to play jackpot games in one of those states (Pick 6, not PB or MM) and stick to lower paying scratchers and Pick3 straight box ($290 in sequence, or $330 on a double) in Illinois?

Just a thought, let me know what you think.

Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #74096
    May 2, 2009
    22944 Posts
    Posted: December 31, 2011, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

I've seen something similar in PA..they have winners holding checks but to tell you the truth...the locations

are so varied that I can't remember one of them. Or any of the amounts won for that matter. BUT if I saw

a location close to me, I'd surely take note of the name out of curiosity and wonder just who it was, so I can

understand your concern. I sure would not want my mug plastered on every terminal monitor in PA...especially

the ones close to me. Everyone and their brother would know who I am, what I won and then wonder what

I'm going to do with it...some would wonder whether I deserve it....why I got it and they didn't..and then

proceed in some cases, to get even more interested. Nah, I don't like that idea at all but don't like the idea

of traveling to someplace where no one will know me either. Very inconvenient.

With the odds of winning some of these bigger prizes, I'll just keep on playing and deal with the mug shot

later on I guess. The way I look at it is this, there's a winner constantly topping or replacing the old winner.

Soon, everyone will forget - if not, I can easily move.

Big Smile

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
      Member #13130
      March 30, 2005
      2171 Posts
      Posted: December 31, 2011, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

This year Illinois put in those monitors that show winners, not just jackpot winners.

I'm still not comfortable with the idea that if you win something everyone who passes by one of these terminals in the state is going to know who you are and how much you won (it's not just jackpots, I don't know the minimum win to get your mug on there but it's definitely not just jackpots, includes scrathers)

Missouri isn't too far away for us and Kentucky is just a little further. I don't know is those states have those monitors, but even if they did, so what? No one there would know you.

I'm thinking this might work for those close to Iowa, Wisconsin, and Indiana, too.

So do you think it would be a lame idea to play jackpot games in one of those states (Pick 6, not PB or MM) and stick to lower paying scratchers and Pick3 straight box ($290 in sequence, or $330 on a double) in Illinois?

Just a thought, let me know what you think.

Lep

Send me your winning JP ticket, I'll take care of everything from there. No worries. Wink

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: December 31, 2011, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

dr65,

Oh I know what you mean. I'm in a rural area and everyone has to know everything about everybody.

One of the best examples of this goes something like this:

Listen, just thought I'd call and tell you Joes is in the hospital, that's all we know.

(Person you called): Why, what happened?

Bang Head

So that being the case I'm not so sure everyoe would forget it. Someone in a neighboring town hit the Little Lotto (Pick 5) for $200,000 a while back, asked the store not to post the ticket, and people tried to track that person down for over a year.

time*treat,

Sounds like your offer would also include the selling of a bridge, no?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
          Gurnee, Illinois
          United States
          Member #49731
          February 12, 2007
          917 Posts
          Posted: January 1, 2012, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

I really wouldn't be too concerned about it.  Why heck, everybody in the US knows Brad Duke of Idaho netted over 80 million dollars (annuity amount was about 220 million) and he even publically claimed his prize.  I just saw the "TLCML" episode covering him now years after that big jackpot win and he says he has more money than he started out with and it looks like he is living a good, peaceful life despite the fact that many people know he is a loaded man.  So I really wouldn't be too concerned about winning a few hundred or thousand dollars and having my pic posted on the website. 

If anyone comes up to you and asks, "Hey, you are the lucky guy/gal who won X amount of dollars playing Y game, say can you spare me a few Z bucks so I can blah, blah, blah?, the automatic answer should be, "Sorry but no...have you pitched that proposal to the bank you do business with?"  If the answer is no, I would say, "you might want to start there then."  If the answer is yes, I would reply, "Well you do know who Abraham Lincoln is, don't you?  He didn't get elected to state gov or the presidency the first time around...he kept trying until he did.  You might want to do the same."

But enough talk about the small dollar winnings...mark my word, I will be one of the jackpot winners in 2012.  And yes, I am going to let my beaming smile be seen on Illinois Mega Million / Powerball Jackpot Press Conference.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
            United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            3856 Posts
            Posted: January 1, 2012, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

I really wouldn't be too concerned about it.  Why heck, everybody in the US knows Brad Duke of Idaho netted over 80 million dollars (annuity amount was about 220 million) and he even publically claimed his prize.  I just saw the "TLCML" episode covering him now years after that big jackpot win and he says he has more money than he started out with and it looks like he is living a good, peaceful life despite the fact that many people know he is a loaded man.  So I really wouldn't be too concerned about winning a few hundred or thousand dollars and having my pic posted on the website. 

If anyone comes up to you and asks, "Hey, you are the lucky guy/gal who won X amount of dollars playing Y game, say can you spare me a few Z bucks so I can blah, blah, blah?, the automatic answer should be, "Sorry but no...have you pitched that proposal to the bank you do business with?"  If the answer is no, I would say, "you might want to start there then."  If the answer is yes, I would reply, "Well you do know who Abraham Lincoln is, don't you?  He didn't get elected to state gov or the presidency the first time around...he kept trying until he did.  You might want to do the same."

But enough talk about the small dollar winnings...mark my word, I will be one of the jackpot winners in 2012.  And yes, I am going to let my beaming smile be seen on Illinois Mega Million / Powerball Jackpot Press Conference.

when you do the press conf. are you going to also say,

"oh by the way on lotterypost .com my name is oldschoolpa"

to help promote the site ?

go dallas.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.